• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Persimmon Head Driver - Hit one lately?

golfer1

Aug 1, 2005
OK, it's what I learned to play on back in the late 60's but I haven't hit one in 25 years. I was on Ebay today and there are quite a few nice collector items there as well as some that are "ready to play".

As the old saying goes, a well struck drive "right on the screws" is a feeling that can't be duplicated. I think that while these clubs were pretty unforgiving because of their size and small sweet spot, they could still produce pretty good results. I would guess that their size was in the 250-300cc range.

And let's not forget some of the problems that developed early on like screws backing out of the face plate or the bottom plate, or the string unraveling from the hosel, etc.

Wouldn't it be great to see a special tournament for the pros and have all of them use vintage clubs?

bryank

Rastagolfarian
Nov 22, 2006
I haven't hit one in years, but I do like the idea of a modern golf tourey with retro clubs...would be fun!

Peace, Bryan

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Dug mine out of the garage recently but the epoxy sounded all crackly,I think its had it mow,last used properly in '86ish,with Tour 100s,not quite the same with range balls:)

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Every time I'm in an "Antique's Shop" (I use the term loosely) I always have a look around to see if there are any old clubs lying around in a bag somewhere. Generally now I can find some old 80s irons and woods going very cheap, but rarely do you see any of the old Persimmon headed clubs going for anything that would merit buying one for a laugh down the range.

I'm sure I'll get one at some point though, just to have some fun with!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I would guess that their size was in the 250-300cc range

golfer1

Wrong! The first really oversize clubs, the Yonex ADX, was 250 cc and that DWARFED a typical persimmon wood head. I'm betting they were more like 175-200 cc range or smaller yet.

:)

nm250eff

new mexico golfer
Aug 15, 2006
A few months ago I was looking online for some older clubs, and found some golf tournaments, mostly in the south, that were played with all hickery shaft clubs. some of them rented clubs and feathery weight balls to thoes who did not have the proper equipt. All were to far away, but it would be cool to play.

Smokin

Oct 11, 2006
I've got a set of 1-3-5 Titlelist Persimmons with TT stiff shafts stashed in the garage. I've been thinking aobut taking them over to the range but keep forgetting. The last time I "tried" to hit them was a hoot. Hard to believe that in the early days of "Pittsburg Persimmon" I was hitting the real woods 280-300 and stubbornly "holding out". Last time I tried 'em I was everywhere but in the middle and 230 max.

I got a kick out looking at the old sets at the World Golf H of F in FL. They have Miller, Nicklaus, and others actual clubs with lead tape, grind marks, and other mods intact. Just hard to believe the scores and wins that came out of 'em.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
My persimmon drivers are all smaller than a modern 5 wood

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, 7600 yard course with 148 slope with ancient clubs. May work on an older one though, :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.