• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PGA Tour stats: Now the hacker need to get real!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I was watching the Wendy's three tour challenge, and they had some interesting Trackman data.

PGA Tour Average clubhead speed: 112 mph
PGA Tour Average driver carry: 254 yards
PGA Tour average total distance: 286 yards

There you go. If you carry the ball in the 240-250 range, as I do, then your not such a puss after all!

And another thing, that's a lot more roll than I get. 32 yards?

Jun 24, 2006
Dimarco's SS was 107 when I saw it. I would have thought it would have been higher. I think his carry was 267 or something.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
The Tour stats are misleading in a few ways.The players like Fred Funk,Corey Pavin,etc. need to hit the tee shot in the fairways because they do not want to have 150yds. and upwards from the rough to the green.They play within their limits. The players that bomb it don't care if they have 100yds. from the rough,because they can hit the green from there.Also the Tour Stats for driving distance are taken on dead straight,wide fairways.That is where they all take a RIP at it.Believe me when I say that most if not all P.G.A. Tour players can hit it over 300yds. in a heart beat!

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
And another thing, that's a lot more roll than I get. 32 yards?

Well, these days a lot tournaments have dry, shaved fairways that stimpmeter at like 9 or so. That's like the greens at most munis! I suspect that explains a lot of it.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
I thought it was pretty interesting to see those stats, one thing that suprised me was I thought the women were hitting alot farther than they were another thing was they showed the womens stats being very similar as far as swing speed but totally different yardages.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Bubba was swinging 120 plus & carrying over 300. That's a long way! They had him hitting a 7 iron over 200.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't feel so bad now.
icon10.gif
IMO distances have a lot to do with the area, course conditions and weather. Down in FL they had the carts with the GPS and I hit a drive 297 followed by a 217yd. 5iron onto the green (it ran on). So it always amazed me to see guys hitting 2irons on 440 yd. holes but those #'s are a little skewed if it's downhill, hard fairway, well above sea level and perfect warm weather.

Don't get me wrong, I might be able to compete with a couple guys on tour distance wise but nearly all would leave me in the dust off the tee. Not to mention the shorter hitters are probably more accurate with a driver than I am with a 100yd. SW.

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
the only reason i swing as fast as i do. is because i actually go to the gym every day if not then every other day and do golf specific workouts... ive been fitted for every club even the driver but i really never use it so i just stick with my titleist 983k. my swing speed with the driver is around 110. which equates to 275 yards without wind or any other variables taking effect. now thats not to say that when i tee off on a hole that im trying to hit it as far as i can just like the pros i try my best to play the game using course management. so even on straight away par 4s the tour players are not swinging as fast as they can.... you know whos really good at driving the ball. angel cabrera. wow is he long...

and im sure fred funk isnt as long as he could be based on his inabilty to keep a straight left arm its pretty bent at the top of the backswing which is definitely not a power booster by any means however he has a tremendous short game and is a phenomenal putter...

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
the only reason i swing as fast as i do. is because i actually go to the gym every day if not then every other day and do golf specific workouts... ive been fitted for every club even the driver but i really never use it so i just stick with my titleist 983k. my swing speed with the driver is around 110. which equates to 275 yards without wind or any other variables taking effect. now thats not to say that when i tee off on a hole that im trying to hit it as far as i can just like the pros i try my best to play the game using course management. so even on straight away par 4s the tour players are not swinging as fast as they can.... you know whos really good at driving the ball. angel cabrera. wow is he long...

and im sure fred funk isnt as long as he could be based on his inabilty to keep a straight left arm its pretty bent at the top of the backswing which is definitely not a power booster by any means however he has a tremendous short game and is a phenomenal putter...

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007

Why not get fitted driver? Is 275yds.carry or total distance?What is spin rate,launch angle? Is your Titleist low,mid,or high kick point?How do you know that 110 mph. swing speed equates to 275yds?From the screen monitor at the golf store? That part of the calculation onscreen was designed to SELL CLUBS.I'm not Disagreeing with anything you posted,just asking some follow up ?'s and stating my view on golf shop distance totals.:)ps.Hope F.F. fixes that left elbow before it's too late.sorry,couldn't resist.:laugh: Take care and get a new driver,from reading your other yardage stats. you will hit a new one BIG.The pros don't swing as fast as they can.I never said that.When they RIP at the ball it is from last foot before impact that they will kick it up a bit, not from the top of backswing.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Swing speed only plays a very small part. My driver swing speed averages 105 and my 5i is around 90, however, I don't have a great smash factor as I can struggle getting the face closed or, in the case of the irons, scooping. According to my ss I should be hitting the ball much farther than I actually am.

This is where the avg joe differs from the pros. The pros bring every last mph into the ball to deliver it down the fairway; every time. Shoot, Morgan Pressel was posting sub 90 driver swing speeds but she was getting a total drive of ~250yds! Funk on the other hand was just behind DiMarco with 105 and was carrying the ball about ~250.

So, I have the ss of Funk (or DiMarco if I'm feeling really good) yet I can struggle to get the same results as Pressel. There is so much more to it than just swing speed...

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
Swing speed only plays a very small part. My driver swing speed averages 105 and my 5i is around 90, however, I don't have a great smash factor as I can struggle getting the face closed or, in the case of the irons, scooping. According to my ss I should be hitting the ball much farther than I actually am.

This is where the avg joe differs from the pros. The pros bring every last mph into the ball to deliver it down the fairway; every time. Shoot, Morgan Pressel was posting sub 90 driver swing speeds but she was getting a total drive of ~250yds! Funk on the other hand was just behind DiMarco with 105 and was carrying the ball about ~250.

So, I have the ss of Funk (or DiMarco if I'm feeling really good) yet I can struggle to get the same results as Pressel. There is so much more to it than just swing speed...
Darn right there is more to it than swing speed.If your launch angle is to high chances are your spin rate is high and the ball rises.Too low a ball flight and your degree of face is not enough or the shaft is too stiff or kick point is too high.I can hit a driver with 10"loft and low kick point only 270yds. Put a high k.p.shaft in it and i'll pick up 20yds.It's all about the right tool for the job.ps. M.P. gets it out there 250 because she has a low spin rate,2790r.p.m.,and gets 20-30 yds. of roll.The wrong ball doesnt help either but that's a whole story again!

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
Why not get fitted driver? Is 275yds.carry or total distance?What is spin rate,launch angle? Is your Titleist low,mid,or high kick point?How do you know that 110 mph. swing speed equates to 275yds?From the screen monitor at the golf store? That part of the calculation onscreen was designed to SELL CLUBS.I'm not Disagreeing with anything you posted,just asking some follow up ?'s and stating my view on golf shop distance totals.:)ps.Hope F.F. fixes that left elbow before it's too late.sorry,couldn't resist.:laugh: Take care and get a new driver,from reading your other yardage stats. you will hit a new one BIG.The pros don't swing as fast as they can.I never said that.When they RIP at the ball it is from last foot before impact that they will kick it up a bit, not from the top of backswing.

i talked to the guy at the place i went to and we were very candid with eachother and i told him that i know for a fact i dont hit my clubs that far. so he opened up and told me the truth and just like you said they are designed to sell clubs... i only questioned himn because i was hitting a 7 irons x stiff titleist 690mb 190ish yards low launch.... and i know for a fact thats ridiculous. lol so he let me know that i could subtract a good 10 15 sometimes even 20 yards... 20 yards mostly for driver... but the thing with launch monitors and so on and so forth is that the variables such as wind downhil uphill and so on and so forth arent there... i hit a mid draw 275 ive driven some 300 yard par 4s. thats when i get the roll tho. i am not long by any stretch of the imagination... zuback lol. but i like the titleist 983k even tho im not super accurate with it. i dont feel like i necessarily need to be because i dont use it a ton unless its a par 5 or a long par 4 or a drivable 4 anyway.... i am a stack and til swinger so we all know. i hit down on the ball what i like to think is very well. im a good 3 putter tho lol. im working on striking own on the ball better than i used to. but id just rather take an iron off of the tee. but my spin is pretty good because i never have any shots balloon on me and i use the wilson px3 ball but am going to try out the maxfli fire 3 piece cuz if it can give me more distance i will take it lol. always searching for more lol. just so you know i only really looked at the spin rate and the swing speed. i understand variables very much like wind and what not so i know that not all my drives go that far depending upon what was happening wind and uphill. so on and so forth... but essentially the 1 mph equates to roughly 2.5 yards so its one of those do the math kind of scenarios. if that makes sense lol. anyway yeah thats my logic. anymore questions and id be happy to answer.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
i talked to the guy at the place i went to and we were very candid with eachother and i told him that i know for a fact i dont hit my clubs that far. so he opened up and told me the truth and just like you said they are designed to sell clubs... i only questioned himn because i was hitting a 7 irons x stiff titleist 690mb 190ish yards low launch.... and i know for a fact thats ridiculous. lol so he let me know that i could subtract a good 10 15 sometimes even 20 yards... 20 yards mostly for driver... but the thing with launch monitors and so on and so forth is that the variables such as wind downhil uphill and so on and so forth arent there... i hit a mid draw 275 ive driven some 300 yard par 4s. thats when i get the roll tho. i am not long by any stretch of the imagination... zuback lol. but i like the titleist 983k even tho im not super accurate with it. i dont feel like i necessarily need to be because i dont use it a ton unless its a par 5 or a long par 4 or a drivable 4 anyway.... i am a stack and til swinger so we all know. i hit down on the ball what i like to think is very well. im a good 3 putter tho lol. im working on striking own on the ball better than i used to. but id just rather take an iron off of the tee. but my spin is pretty good because i never have any shots balloon on me and i use the wilson px3 ball but am going to try out the maxfli fire 3 piece cuz if it can give me more distance i will take it lol. always searching for more lol. just so you know i only really looked at the spin rate and the swing speed. i understand variables very much like wind and what not so i know that not all my drives go that far depending upon what was happening wind and uphill. so on and so forth... but essentially the 1 mph equates to roughly 2.5 yards so its one of those do the math kind of scenarios. if that makes sense lol. anyway yeah thats my logic. anymore questions and id be happy to answer.
Nope,thanks for the info that 1 m.p.h. equates to approx. 2.5 yds. Never new that.:)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.