• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Phelps Bong Hit

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Gonna cost him millions in endorsements.

Find it funny though that the local sheriff is considering criminal charges. I wanna see how they prove what was in the bong, and further it is only considered paraphernalia if they can prove that it was used for an illegal substance. Seems like they are just trying to get money out of the deal.
I was wondering that too...

Maybe he just smokes tobacco in it...who knows.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
We have a lovely situation in California, which has legalized the use of cannabis for medicinal purposes. So what happens? Federal agents come in and arrest the owners of the shops that supply it.

State's rights indeed.

Yep quite a paradox we've going on there .. on the 1 hand America (more than any other country) has invested time and money in the war on drugs, then legislates on it's benefits for medicinal purposes. Then again you can tax a pharmacy and not a pusher ....

Phelps ..... not the best legacy for the greatest olympian of all time .. that's based on gold medals not necessarily merited on his achievement ...

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
PA the sheriff is taken it on the chin here. He was on the news talking about this and the lead story was two elderly women that live on the same street were robbed and beaten in their homes....one died and the other is in ICU....all in his county and this dick on the news wanting to prosecute over this picture.

Jason

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I just wish people like Phelps would be more honest about it. Michael - Instead of apologizing and saying you "made a mistake" just own up to the fact that you like to party, you smoke a little weed once in a while, and it's not a problem for you. Maybe become an advocate for legalization. You're an Olympic swimmer who smokes pot recreationally. You're not a loser, or a drug addict.

Maybe people should accept the fact that our role models are human beings that make choices that some people disagree with. Some of those choices are legal, and some are illegal.

I guess that is what is bugging me about this. If he wanted to make an advocacy for the legalization, I could understand and not care. Problem is, he tried to hide this, only furthering the fact that he knew it was wrong, in a way.

Regardless, no I don't think this is the end of the world, but I wish the world could drop a couple. Nobody even cares that he did it, or nearly anyone doing it, why not just legalize it?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Sounds like that Tommy Chong fiasco... :)

But how stupid can athletes be? Letting someone take your picture with a bong? Duh...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
But how stupid can athletes be? Letting someone take your picture with a bong? Duh...

In this day and age, cameras are just about everywhere. If your famous, there are even more cameras trained on you. Do something stupid, especially if your famous, it will get caught on camera.

Chances are, depending on where you are at this moment, there are probably at least 5 to 10 cameras within 100 yards of your location. Cell Phone camera phones and security cameras are everywhere.

From where I am sitting right now, I would guess there are at least 50 to 100 cameras within 100 yards depending on how many people are in this building and the building next door.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
In this day and age, cameras are just about everywhere. If your famous, there are even more cameras trained on you. Do something stupid, especially if your famous, it will get caught on camera.

Chances are, depending on where you are at this moment, there are probably at least 5 to 10 cameras within 100 yards of your location. Cell Phone camera phones and security cameras are everywhere.

From where I am sitting right now, I would guess there are at least 50 to 100 cameras within 100 yards depending on how many people are in this building and the building next door.

At least 500 where I was at an hour ago, but that's college.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Well, I knew there are always cameras around celebrities, I guess what I meant was "don't pick up the bong stupid"!! :D

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I'm at home right now, and there are 5-10 within 100 yards of my location. ;)

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I'm at home right now, and there are 5-10 within 100 yards of my location. ;)

Well hell, I am at home now too. Threre at least 5 cameras within 100 feet of me right now. :laugh:

3 within 100 inches of where I am right now....

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
To me, its not that big of a deal. Phelps is a world-class swimmer, nothing more. What he chooses to do in his free time is up to him.
IMO, the simple fact that people look up to him as a hero just because he is a world class athlete is kind sad, really.
Just because someone is a world-class athlete, that does not make them a role model or someone that should be looked up to.
I still respect the guy for what he has been able to accomplish in the olympics, but I cant really comment on the content of his character or how fit he is to be a role model because Ive never met the guy.
Im sure there are lots of people in this world who are very good people, but have some habits that are unhealthy and illegal. That doesnt make them bad people, that just means that they make some bad decisions.
IMO, if you are going to write someone who has done drugs at some point in their lifetime off as a bad person, you would be hard-pressed to find any good people in this world.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
To me, its not that big of a deal. Phelps is a world-class swimmer, nothing more. What he chooses to do in his free time is up to him.
IMO, the simple fact that people look up to him as a hero just because he is a world class athlete is kind sad, really.
Just because someone is a world-class athlete, that does not make them a role model or someone that should be looked up to.
I actually think the fact that this is getting so much attention is not only ridiculous but comical.

Although I think the second he made endorsement contracts for things like cereal and other things involving children, he made himself a role model and owes it to his sponsors to stay out of crap like this and maintain the image for which they paid millions. I think the endorsements were more than just saying "Good job at the Olympics, heres some money to show our support". Now if he says "I made a big mistake and am returning the Millions in endorsements as I am not worthy of sponsoring their product", then I would say he is entitled to his life back to do with whatever he chooses.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Would any of you feel differently about this if it were Tiger instead of Phelps?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Nope. I don't really care what Tiger does besides golf. If he stopped wanting to win, I'd stop liking him.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.