• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Phelps Bong Hit

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I would not put too much faith in the law jeff. although not even in the same league as putting someone in a cage only because they smoked something thing the government didn't like, remember that rosa parks was arrested for where she sat on the bus. same attitude still, it was illegal and she showed no respect for the law?

There is a huge difference you are forgetting. She did it on purpose, as an activist. Much like King, they preached that if you are willing to break a law to change it, you must not hide your actions nor apologize -so long as you've not harmed anyone-, if you have conviction of your beliefs.

Now I don't think we should crucify him, since it is only weed, but it is sad that most people just toss it away as nothing really important.

Oh, and I do have Faith in the Law.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Its illegal, that's the bottom line to me.

I'm not saying it isn't perverse, but gdamn, have some respect for the law.

So if it became illegal to ride motorcycles, you'd abide by that law, simply out of respect?

Some laws are stupid, Jeff. You know that. Just because something is "law" doesn't make it justified, or rational. Laws should be BASED on justice and rationality, but that's not how the world works, apparently.

That being said, HE shouldn't be shocked that he's in trouble, because it is against the law. But no, he really doesn't deserve to be punished for what he did. It SHOULDN'T be against the law.

This is coming, again, from someone who thinks drugs are ridiculously stupid.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
So if it became illegal to ride motorcycles, you'd abide by that low, simply out of respect?

Some laws are stupid, Jeff. You know that. Just because something is "law" doesn't make it justified, or rational. Laws should be BASED on justice and rationality, but that's not how the world works, apparently.

That being said, HE shouldn't be shocked that he's in trouble, because it is against the law. But no, he really doesn't deserve to be punished for what he did. It SHOULDN'T be against the law.

This is coming, again, from someone who thinks drugs are ridiculously stupid.

Make a rational argument, and I'll respond.

Motorcycles won't be made illegal in the forseable future so its a moot point. That said, my beliefs and respect for the law are what they are, and that is that. The horse is dead and beat, I'm taking off from this thread.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
My rational argument is that marijuana being illegal is IRRATIONAL- and that laws should not be respected because they're laws, but rather because they're rational. If they're not rational, they're silly, and only recognized out of fear of punishment.

It'd be nice to see YOU make a rational argument, Jeff. But running away with your tail between your legs is an understandable response at this point.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My rational argument is that marijuana being illegal is IRRATIONAL- and that laws should not be respected because they're laws, but rather because they're rational. If they're not rational, they're silly, and only recognized out of fear of punishment.

It'd be nice to see YOU make a rational argument, Jeff. But running away with your tail between your legs is an understandable response at this point.

No, its the fact that you don't see what I am saying. Inspired largely by Martin Luther King Jr., I find that hiding the fact that you break the law is what makes the action insidious. You see, to break the law, admit to doing it and saying part of the reason you do so is because the law is irrational is one thing. However, cowardice is shown when you break it and hide from the consequences, and makes your actions meaningless.

My point in leaving this thread was that the aforementioned was already said by myself, any further argument is rooted mostly in ideals and I did not desire to entertain something that I know I wouldn't change my opinion on, foregoing the needless discussion.

And please SUX, no personal attacks.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
No, its the fact that you don't see what I am saying. Inspired largely by Martin Luther King Jr., I find that hiding the fact that you break the law is what makes the action insidious. You see, to break the law, admit to doing it and saying part of the reason you do so is because the law is irrational is one thing. However, cowardice is shown when you break it and hide from the consequences, and makes your actions meaningless.

It'd be nice if everyone was righteous enough to actually speak out against irrational laws, but I don't think he's got the cognitive fortitude to make a case. He surely doesn't think it was wrong, and he really has no responsibility to change the law so he can do something he SHOULD be able to do anyway. It's less cowardice and more, "I don't care to take on this burden."

Like, he's got enough going on in his life that he doesn't care to be a spokesman for legalizing drugs. He'd rather swim, and just do what he wants to do otherwise, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

That seems reasonable to me.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
And also-

The motorcycle analogy is NOT a moot point. You think it won't become illegal in the forseeable future... Why not? It can cause death, just like drug abuse! But even then, it's not the point. The point is, would you respect the "law" when the law irrationally restricts your freedom?

I hope not, despite your faith.

And if drinking suddenly became illegal, would you make your own brand, drink it openly, and sing about it to the police? I doubt it. What you'd really want is people to leave you alone and let you make your own decisions. I imagine that's what Phelps wants. He's not a crusader, he's a swimmer.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
I respect most laws, the one I have trouble with is obeying the speed limit, and when the sign says 70, and everyone is going 90, I tend to stop caring about breaking the law... Although marijuana is a more serious crime, I can see where people get the feeling that it isnt a big deal to smoke because damn near the whole country is smoking weed. When I was in highschool, Id say 80 percent of seniors were smoking, or had smoked... so like alot of people, I never saw it as a big deal, or as a "real" crime.

That said, if you are dumb enough to get caught, you deserve the ramnifications

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
WOAT, frequency isn't a guage of right or wrong either. If the majority of people steal, stealing is still wrong. The inability to enforce a law doesn't make breaking it a righteous act.

It isn't a big deal to smoke because all you're doing is hurting yourself. Punching yourself in the face isn't illegal, and riding motorcycles isn't illegal. They're both dangerous, but it's assumed that people are responsible enough to make decisions about their own lives.

And if they're not, limiting the freedom of everybody to make it more difficult for stupid people to be stupid is a poor solution.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
WOAT, frequency isn't a guage of right or wrong either. If the majority of people steal, stealing is still wrong. The inability to enforce a law doesn't make breaking it a righteous act.

It isn't a big deal to smoke because all you're doing is hurting yourself. Punching yourself in the face isn't illegal, and riding motorcycles isn't illegal. They're both dangerous, but it's assumed that people are responsible enough to make decisions about their own lives.

And if they're not, limiting the freedom of everybody to make it more difficult for stupid people to be stupid is a poor solution.

I never said what was right or wrong, just that I understand why some people dont care,... On the flip side, people who buy illegal drugs might be sponsoring terrorism and violence in Mexico and the Americas...;)

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
And weed is just weed. But if you're concerned with what's being "funded" by the purchase of it, look into Citgo.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.