1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Phil as #1 ???? Sorry I don't see it.

Discussion in 'Golf Tournament Talk' started by fisher, Jul 6, 2010.

1. fisher

fisher Well-Known Member

There is talk of Tiger losing the #1 ranking. So be it if it happens but I just don't see Phil taking it now. There are so many better players out there than Phil. So who would it be? I just think Phil would be a sentimental choice. His performance doesn't bear out a #1 ranking.:cool:

2. Clugnut

Clugnut Gimme some roombas!

There was that little thing called The Masters. Lee Westwood, Steve Stricker, and Jim Furyk are the next three. I would not consider any of them better then Phil. I know your just starting this topic to stir the pot, but the obvious sentiment is on your end.

How did Luke Donald get to 7? I can't recall him winning anything.

3. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

United States United States
    So many better than Phil?.... name a few. At The Masters there were none better and the U.S. Open only 3 or so better. Really who is in contention more than Phil per the amount of tourneys played? Others have had streaks, but... meh. I hope Justin Rose continues his streak. Very sound game. No bells and whistles, but very sound.

4. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Official World Golf Ranking - About_Us - Introduction - 7/6/2010 9:42:25 PM
    "Sentimental choice"???? What makes you think sentiment or emotion or anything subjective enters into the World Ranking? The link I have provided will take you to the explanation of just how the players are ranked. It is mathmatical... not sentimental!

5. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
  6. SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno El Tigre Blanco

I agree with the gallery here. You can't argue with being in contention and racking up wins. I'll tell you what DOESN'T make sense... having a guy at #1 who is missing cuts and not playing anywhere near the top ten in the majority of the tournaments he plays. He played alright at the Masters, but Phil WON that.

7. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I didn't check the link that was provided but I think the rankings take into account last season as well. As we all know, last season Tiger was still playing something that resembled good golf.

At the risk of being blasted here, I would tend to agree with Fisher on this one. Phil has had several oppurtunities to take over #1 in the last month or so and has fallen apart. I don't know who takes it, if anybody, but I don't think it will be Phil. Maybe McDowell, surging with confidence after his win at the US Open will run off 6-8 straight victories including the British and PGA and take it. Sounds crazy but so did the story of Tiger and his countless "episodes" at first! LOL!.

8. N.V.M.

N.V.M. now...a cartoon

c'mon. sure, Phil gets as cold as he does hot, no arguement. and this probably has nothing to do with him having earned the #1 spot, but the guy has more talent in his little finger than 1/2 of any field he plays against. not to mention, his style is all out go for broke, just awesome to watch him play. i think it's his time to be #1. there's no other golfer we love to see wreck or win.

9. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

I'll be the first blaster.

If Phil's not in the top 5 or 10 or winning he's not far behind the first page of the leaderboard in every tourney he enters. Just to keep things in perspective there's usually around 60 dudes getting a check of some kind, right?

I think Bubba Watson has a better chance than McDowell honestly. All these other winners this year don't have a whole lot going for them other than this years win. Even if briefly Phil will be #1 and deservedly so as far as i'm concerned. Of all the 1'st time winners this year i'd love to see Bubba Watson or Justin Rose shoot up the rankings. Good dudes with good games.

10. BigJim13

I'm not saying that Phil isn't talented, heck I'd actually like to see him be #1, even for a little while. I just don't see it happening. The last time Tiger lost the #1 ranking was in 2004 to Vijay. Look at the years that Vijay had to have to get that. He was playing like 30+ tourneys a year and winning 10 or 11 each year with the 2004 PGA thrown in there. And then he took over the ranking and how lond did he hold it? Sorry, I don't see Phil being #1.

11. fisher

fisher Well-Known Member

I just don't think Phil is the best player other than Tiger. There are too many guys out there playing better.

12. chemboy2

chemboy2 M634 Supporting Member

Staying with non-subjective metrics, I'd say there are VERY FEW guys out there playing better than Phil right now.

3rd in FedEx Cup points behind Ernie and Rose.
    3rd in Scoring Avg behind Ernie and Rose.
    2nd on Money List behind Ernie.
    T5 in Top 10 finishes including a Masters win. (four guys T1 with one more Top 10)

13. Clugnut

Clugnut Gimme some roombas!

You haven't named one yet that you think is better. By all means, please elaborate.

14. N.V.M.

N.V.M. now...a cartoon

let's not forget the fact that Phil is totally downplaying the fact that he is on the cusp of reaching #1. being the kind of guy he is, he realizes it's not the way he wanted to take the spot since Cheetah has become just another PGA golfer.

15. BigJim13

This is a good point also, even though I don't think Phil will take the #1 spot I don't know that I could name anybody playing better than him now. Els might be close but I still put him behind Phil. Let's be honest, the only thing that is keeping Tiger #1 right now is his record from LAST year, the lead he built is almost to big to overcome.

16. LyleG

LyleG gear head

Canada Canada
    Phil will most definitely be number 1 in the very near future. The lead is almost completely gone and the only other guy with a chance is Westwood but even he is a ways behind. Phil is easily the best golfer on the planet if Tiger remains the new Tiger. Some guys have streaks, but Phil has been in the top 5 in the world rankings since his first year on tour. In spite of his inconsistency, he is actually one of the most consistent players on the WR list.

17. fisher

fisher Well-Known Member

If its got to be Phil then I'd say Tiger's gonna hold onto it for a while longer. Phil in not in Tiger's league. Even with Tiger distracted and playing poorly Tiger has equaled Phil in just about all but the Masters out of the tournaments they both played in.

Phil has played more events this year at 13 to Tiger's 5. Both have missed a cut this season. Phil won the Masters with Tiger not far back at 4th. US Open they tied one another.

Tiger's scoring average is currently right there with Phil despite Phil playing more and easier scoring events.

Despite all the talk of Tiger's poor play Phil hasn't been shooting the lights out either. Here are some of Phil's lowlights of this 13 events so far this season. Missed cut, 45th, 35th, 30th, 24th, 19th and 17th.

To be balanced here are Tiger's results in his 5 events so far this season. Cut, W/D due to injury, 4th at masters, 4th US Open, 19th and 46th.

Point is despite all the talk Phil hasn't done anything to push himself to #1. He is just having an average year for himself. He has to show alot more than what he has done this season to jump to #1.

Tiger has only played 5 events but on balance his results really haven't been that bad. Forget the hype......time will tell.

18. SCGolfer

SCGolfer Well-Known Member

The world golf rankings are the weirdest and maybe dumbest 'rankings' ever. That being said since they take into account so many tournaments and such a long period of time you can't just get hot and take the #1 spot. You have to be consistent and play well for a long period which Phil has done. He deserves a shot at being the #1 player in the world. It has nothing to do with who is hot RIGHT NOW or who is better RIGHT NOW. Besides do you really think that Tiger is the best player in the world as we speak?? Not a chance

19. BigJim13

He deserves a shot and he's gotten like 3 shots at being #1. Each time he has had that shot he has choked (or Phil'd if you prefer that). If Tiger isn't the best in the world who is? Phil? I still don't see him ever getting to #1

20. fisher

fisher Well-Known Member

So does the guy ranked 160th in the world but that's not gonna make it happen.