• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pictures from the Patriot Cup 2012

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I live a few miles away from the Patriot Golf club, which is also where the HQ for the Folds of Honor Foundation is located. If you aren't familiar with it look here http://www.foldsofhonor.org/. Major Dan Rooney started it to provide scholarships for the children of fallen/injured soldiers. Great cause. Anyway, on to the golf.

I volunteered for the Patriot Cup. Basically it's a charity event that takes place every Memorial Day. They have PGA Tour pros, celebrities, donors, and military personnel playing. I was selected as a scorer. It was walking scorer but they gave us all carts! We drew names for first pick of the pairing we wanted and lucky me, first pick! I chose the group of Rickie Fowler, Gary Woodland, Dan Rooney, Brian O'Connell(singer/promoter), and Russell Normandin(US Marine and Big Break Indian Wells player). Had just an amazing time riding around with these guys and nucking around. I have to say Gary Woodland is probably one of the coolest rich/famous people I've ever met. Very approachable, talkative, etc. I could see playing "beer golf" with him. Rickie was a cool kid, but he was getting mauled at every stop since he's an OK State alum, he has a LOT of fans around here. I could tell it was wearing on him a little, but he was never out of line or anything. Though he did keep playing bumper carts with us! :p Here are a few pics from my good time.

Fowler and Woodlands clubs on the carts:
PatriotCup201206910.jpg

Woodlands WITB:
PatriotCup201206912.jpg

PatriotCup201206916.jpg

PatriotCup201206936.jpg

Fowler WITB:
PatriotCup201206911.jpg

Few Woodland pics:
PatriotCup201206934.jpg

PatriotCup201206930.jpg

PatriotCup201206915.jpg

PatriotCup201206914.jpg

Fowler:
PatriotCup201206931.jpg

PatriotCup201206921.jpg

Major Rooney:
PatriotCup201206933.jpg

PatriotCup201206924.jpg

Russell:
PatriotCup201206923.jpg

Few other assorted pics:
PatriotCup201206932.jpg

PatriotCup201206919.jpg

PatriotCup201206926.jpg

PatriotCup201206917.jpg

Feherty and me!:
PatriotCup201206925.jpg

PatriotCup201206927.jpg

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Woodland and I:
PatriotCup201206935.jpg

Woodland, Rickie, and I:
PatriotCup201206940.jpg

I also took a few videos. The first tee shot from Woodland here is probably the longest ball I've ever seen. Had to be in the 365-370 range and it's not downhill....

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I am SOOO jealous. Why do you say Woodland is cool? Tell me more! How was Feherty? He is hands down my favorite golf announcer!

GREAT STUFF!

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I am SOOO jealous. Why do you say Woodland is cool? Tell me more! How was Feherty? He is hands down my favorite golf announcer!

GREAT STUFF!

Woodland was just very approachable. Seemed like the type of dude that you could get paired with on the first tee, and by the time you make the turn you're telling jokes and ribbing each other for bad shots. For instance one of the donors/members in the group was talking about a certain putt on the 15th green. The donor was saying it was deceiving because it was faster going one way than the other. Fowler and Woodland laughed because there was no way it was true, downhill is downhill. After the hole was completed Woodland threw a ball down and said something like "so, you're saying this putt is FASTER uphill." The member nodded, Woodland setup and just SMASHED the putt like he was hitting a 200 footer. Said "yep, you're right that IS fast!"

Really didn't get to talk to Feherty. He was doing interviews and such all over the course. He was picking on Woodland telling him to wait for the green to clear on a 602 yard par 5.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
That's f*in awesome! That's a day you'll never forget. Jim isn't the only one who is jealous!

Tell us more!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
That's awesome. The closest thing to that in VT near me was one of our local courses used to host a Futures Tour event. Nothing like that though. So cool!

How did you get to be part of it? Usually things like that are overflowing with volunteers!

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
That's f*in awesome! That's a day you'll never forget. Jim isn't the only one who is jealous!

Tell us more!

lol no doubt.

Well, it was actually a 3 person scramble match play format. Blue(US Air Force) versus Red(Army, Navy, Marines). Each team was Pro/Celebrity, Donor, Military. Ryder Cup format. So my group was Woodland/Rooney/O'Connell versus Fowler/Donor/Russell. Lots of eagles and birdies obviously. Woodlands team won 3 and 2.

They had a $100 side bet going. Also, there was a part that evening for the donors/members where Rascall Flats were playing(they also played in the tournament.) The losing team had to get on stage and sing during the show. I didn't get to go to that obviously so I'm not sure if Fowler had to sing or not lol.

Fowler had his girlfriend riding around with him, pretty girl. She seemed really nice.

Rooney is a really good guy, really cares about his cause and puts a lot of work into it. The Folds has really grown. When they were talking about putting that course in around here I didn't think our community would ever support it. But it seems to be doing well. Just out of my price range($25k up front and $600 per month plus minimums.) The Foundation HQ is right next to the club house, every day at 13:00 everyone on the golf course stops, taps is played and they ring a big bell 13 times. It was really something to see all the pros and people stop what they were doing at that time.

The golf channel was there videoing, the Patriot Cup will be aired I believe on Veterans day this year.

How did you get to be part of it? Usually things like that are overflowing with volunteers!

We are friends with one of the members at The Patriot that organized the volunteers. :) They used to be members at the club I belong to.

Oh! Another good thing is I get a free round out of it!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
lol no doubt.

Well, it was actually a 3 person scramble match play format. Blue(US Air Force) versus Red(Army, Navy, Marines). Each team was Pro/Celebrity, Donor, Military. Ryder Cup format. So my group was Woodland/Rooney/O'Connell versus Fowler/Donor/Russell. Lots of eagles and birdies obviously. Woodlands team won 3 and 2.

They had a $100 side bet going. Also, there was a part that evening for the donors/members where Rascall Flats were playing(they also played in the tournament.) The losing team had to get on stage and sing during the show. I didn't get to go to that obviously so I'm not sure if Fowler had to sing or not lol.

Fowler had his girlfriend riding around with him, pretty girl. She seemed really nice.

Rooney is a really good guy, really cares about his cause and puts a lot of work into it. The Folds has really grown. When they were talking about putting that course in around here I didn't think our community would ever support it. But it seems to be doing well. Just out of my price range($25k up front and $600 per month plus minimums.) The Foundation HQ is right next to the club house, every day at 13:00 everyone on the golf course stops, taps is played and they ring a big bell 13 times. It was really something to see all the pros and people stop what they were doing at that time.

The golf channel was there videoing, the Patriot Cup will be aired I believe on Veterans day this year.

We are friends with one of the members at The Patriot that organized the volunteers. :) They used to be members at the club I belong to.

Oh! Another good thing is I get a free round out of it!

Awesome!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.