• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Eye 2

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Got a chance to grab a set of Eye 2's for $75 shipped....very seriously considering it if only to flip and sell. I have never had a set of Eye2's and am very happy with my i3's. Its to soon to be getting stir crazy for spring!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You didn't miss out on much. The Eyes were not a great iron. A classic, but nothing special beyond a collectors item now.

R35

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
A lot of love for them around here. I could never get over the amount of offset.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
You didn't miss out on much. The Eyes were not a great iron. A classic, but nothing special beyond a collectors item now.

R35
I've never hit them, held a few before. Never really liked the look of them, was thinking of flipping more than anything. I'm really happy with the i3's.

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada

R35

I'm sure that's heresy to many ... the cult of Eye 2s is even stronger than the cult of niblicks.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Tuning in late. What you describe sounds suspicious. Ping did not put the KT-M in any of the Eye 2 irons... except by special order long after the model was obsolete. The KT shaft was introduced in the Eye 2+ series. The Eye 2 line was almost exclusively the ZZ Lite shaft, with the BeCu Eye 2's having the Brunswick MicroTaper in them. The KT stood for 'Karsten Tour'. Pretty stiff shaft, but extremely thin walled. Held up fairly well in the Eye 2+ line.
When the Zing line was introduced, Karsten stayed with the KT shaft. Immediately, the shafts began kinking/bending/snapping just above the hosel on the Zing line. Karsten had TT use a heavier tip and renamed it the KT-M... KT 'Modified'. The Eye 2+ was still popular and many playing Pings thought the Zing "butt ugly". So... for quite a while, both the Zing and the Eye 2+ were sent out OEM with the KT-M shaft.
If the set you saw had KT-M shafts, they had undoubtedly been changed... or the seller didn't know what he was talking about. If the Eye 2 irons were sent back to Ping to be reshafted with the KT-M shaft, that would also have been a possibility. OTOH, at that price they may well have been a 'patched up' set with a mix of both ZZ Lite and KT-M shafts that had been used to replace broken/bent ZZ Lites.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online