• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Eye2 +

Duff

May 5, 2007
I have been considering going back to the Eye2 + irons.

When I used the Eye2's I didn't worry about what wedges to purchase, the Eye2 + PW, SW, LW were a no brainer.

I have thought about ordering a new set from Ping but am hesitant due to what is advertised as improved irons from Ping, i.e., i3+, ISI, G2, G5, G10's. I keep updating. Then I read the Eye2 + are just as forgiving as any new GI club.

Anyone out there that have had both and went back to the Eye2 +?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I see some people playing, well in fact, with Eye 2s. Honestly, and I think a lot of people will back me up, Karsten did his prime with the Eye 2.

fuzzyjr

Oct 17, 2007
Ping Eye 2

I played them for ever. Hand downs. I enjoyed playing with them until the grooves wore slap out. They were the number 1 selling iron for nearly a decade. I also played the i3 as well. I think they at some point became the new Eye 2. Very popular irons and very nice irons. Pick your poison with either.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Duff, I'll make an attempt to answer your question... I went from Eye 2's to +'s, to Zings, to Zing 2's, to ISI BeCu and BeNi, to I3 Blades, to I3+ Blades and the Eye 2+'s have been back in the bag for two full seasons. Granted, I do not have any playing experience with the latest generations of Ping irons. (G2, G5, S58, S59, I5, or I10) Here's my take...

I would consider returning to the ISI Nickels. They were great clubs. I, also, enjoyed the I3+ Blades. The fact is, the Eye 2+'s have the positives of each of the other Pings... and, in my opinion, less negatives.

The Zings, Zing 2's, G2's, and G5's all have much wider soles than I like. I enjoy the narrower sole design of the +'s. We have zoyzia fairways. Many times, these fairways are clipped quite close. I can pick a ball off these fairways... off hardpan... shoot, I could even pick a ball off the cart path with the sole design of the +'s.

The perimeter weighting of the +'s is just right. As you get into the designs mentioned just above, the perimeter weighting makes it more difficult to work the ball both ways. With the offset, it is certainly easier to hit something right to left than visa versa. Yet, my playing partners will attest that I do a fair job of working it either way for an old fart!!!!

I like the loft progression of the +'s. The 3-iron is a 3-iron. It's not a 2-iron at 3-iron length like many of the "newer" clubs. I have yet to find a hybrid that will work as well as the long irons of the +'s... and I've tried a bunch of them. By staying with the + PW, SW, and LW I have the progression straight on through the entire set. Each and every club I set down looks the same... sets up the same... and has similar loft progression from club to club. IMHO, there are nothing better than the + wedges. I can lay the LW open and hit flops or close it down and hit a towering shot to a close pin. The grooves will stop a ball in it's tracks, but don't take the covers off the balls like some of the newer zip style grooves.

Okay, there can be some negatives. Let's talk shafts. Most of the +'s were produced with the KT shaft. This shaft was an extremely thin wall shaft and did not hold up well. If you go looking for a used set of +'s, I recommend staying away from the KT's. And, if you can't pass on a set w/KT's, make certain all shafts are original and have the "white" Ping epoxy. If any have been changed out, pass on the set!!!!

My BeCu's have the JZ shaft. The JZ (S) isn't a bad shaft. I had one set of stainless +'s with the ZZ65 and, to this day, have no idea why I ever let them go!!!! If you order a new set of +'s from Ping, you can go the WRX route and get whatever shaft your heart desires.

Sorry for the long post. But, as you can see, I am a firm believer in... and #1 fan of... the Eye 2+'s. There are other excellent choices of irons from the Ping line. This industry, however, has not seen much improvement from any manufacturer over the hugely successful Eye 2 and Eye 2+ line from Karsten.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Ping Eye 2's are kind of like the '57 Chevy. They never go out of style.

As much of a "Ping hater" (I forget who called me that, but it was probably WBL :D) as I am, I still love the Ping Eye 2's. There is something about the design that just looks perfect. The Zings and ISI's were just plain ugly, but the Eye 2's have always suited my eye.

If I were you, I would go back to the Eye 2+'s. Your not going to get anything better from Ping's current line up.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Duff posted: Anyone out there that have had both and went back to the Eye2 +?
The dumbest move I ever made was getting rid of my Ping Eye2s. Last year got the G5s which are close and I really like them............but the best irons I have ever played are the Eye2s. I spent way too much money on a Rapture 2-iron this summer. I thought since I always hit my Eye2 2-iron well, I should really be able to hit the Rapture well. WRONG. I sold the Rapture, and traded back for my Eye2 2-iron, and I'm hitting it great again. If I were you, I'd get a used set of Eye2s from Global Golf. Otherwise, the closest thing are the I5s or maybe now the I10s. My G5s are okay, but too much bounce. I5s are closer to the Eye2s.:)

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Ping Eye 2's are kind of like the '57 Chevy. They never go out of style.

As much of a "Ping hater" (I forget who called me that, but it was probably WBL :D) as I am, I still love the Ping Eye 2's. There is something about the design that just looks perfect. The Zings and ISI's were just plain ugly, but the Eye 2's have always suited my eye.

If I were you, I would go back to the Eye 2+'s. Your not going to get anything better from Ping's current line up.

Agreed, I am kind of a HOgan Loyalist now, but were I to buy another set I would look for either the Eye 2's or the I3...they are just classics...

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
Never been a huge fan of Pings or owned a set because in Australia they are expensive, but I can't argue with the popularity of the old eye2's. They were huge over here and were in the bags of heaps of low markers and professionals as well as hackers. They were so popular here that whenever anyone went to the US, they would buy a set and bring them back knowing they would double their money. Some golfers who wnated to buy a set could go to the US and have a holiday and buy a set for the same price of buying a new set here.

Pings these days are nowhere near as expensive comparatively because they have so much competition and other companies making similar clubs. But back in the 80's they were almost legal tender.

As for how they play, I know heaps of guys who swear by them and say Ping has never brought out an iron that comes close to it. Even if you don't go for the whole set, I'd highly recommend getting the wedges. I've hit some of my friends and the lob wedge in particular is the best one I've ever hit. Only problem is nobody gets rid of them so they are hard to find.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I tried to go back to them but couldn't because of the HHHHUUUGGGGGEEEEE amount of offset in them. Hit my first shot back with them with the 7 iron. I remember it starting 10 yards right of the flag and finishing about 35. Had to aim everything 20 yards left for the rest of the day.

A great club but just couldn't go back to them after the semi-blades I'd been using before.

zclements

Play to the middle!
Oct 9, 2007
i am going back to the eye 2's after having played the callaway x 20 tours for a while now. the ping eye 2's are simply the best iron ever made. i am thinking about getting my project x shafts put in them as well. anyone know if they will fit?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You ask if your PX shafts will work. You don't say whether they are parallel tip or taper tip. The MUST be taper tip to work.

There are those out there who will try to talk you into boring out the hosel on Pings if you want to use parallel tip shafts. Please, for you sake, do NOT listen to them. I've seen very few successes with attempts to bore the hosels out to accept the larger tip shafts.

If your PX's are taper tip... no problem!!!!

zclements

Play to the middle!
Oct 9, 2007
I just ordered some of the old satin finish project x shafts (taper tips) to put in my eye 2 +'s. I have hit the flighted version and love the way they feel but the ball seems to balloon some with the longer irons because of my very high ball flight. I will let you know once I get them put together how they turn out......

also limpalong, what if the best epoxy to use with the pings? and do you need the little round filler for the very top of the hozel. thanks....

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
A good shafting epoxy from Golfsmith or Golfworks would do the trick. And, no... the Pings do not take a ferrule.

With the taper tips, make sure you abrade the tip so you get a good bond with the epoxy.

🔥 Latest posts