1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Featured Ping i3 blades... are they outdated or still a good choice?

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by Longdrive, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Longdrive

Longdrive Well-Known Member

I have a like new set of i3 blades that I hit fairly well. I tried the Burner XD's last year and loved the distance but hated the offset and draw bias that they had. I switched to and have been playing MP33's since. The grooves on the MP 33's are loosing their bite and I just don't get the distance from them. I'm thinking I'd rather be playing a CB. So my question is, do I need to get a new set of irons or just dust off the Pings and play? Or is there a CB out there that offers minimal offset that will allow me to get more distance - like I got from the Burner XD's?

2. scgamecock

scgamecock Well-Known Member

how much you want for the I3's. Help you fund your new set.......haha seriously though my friend wants a set.

3. Longdrive

Longdrive Well-Known Member

Anyone?

4. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

United States United States
    There's nothing "outdated" about i3 blades!! Still one of the more fun Pings to play. A real "players cavity back". Nowhere near a "shovel" like we see in game improvement irons and less offset than most Pings.

There's not a lot of mind numbing technological advances in irons over the past couple of decades. The early 90's saw the advent of numerous manufacturers producing extremely playable perimeter weighted irons. Today's irons may have different colored medallions or have more plastic glued into the cavity. I just don't think you will find a ton of difference between a set of irons from 1999 and a set from 2009. Play 'em!!! Enjoy 'em!!! With Pings excellent customer service behind them, you can send them in and have them adjusted and/or refurbished if they get a little "stale" looking. I do know one thing. You won't wear out the grooves like you did on the 33's.!!!!

5. dave.

dave. Well-Known Member

This as got me thinking, how can any club made in the last 20 years ever become out dated? WE aren't talking Hogan blades from the 70s, pinned heads, small as you like. The i3s are modern cast cavity irons with minimum offset, I really regret selling them now.

The latest thing, these plastic inserts, adding colour to cavities, and all the marketing junk around what magic qualities the latest irons, have, is exactly that junk.

MOI is real, perimeter weighting works, it helps with off centre strikes, offset is real, quality of materials is a real, manufacturing is real, and others, these 'real' things will never out date a club. They have not come up with anything recently to out date a good head like the i3 as far as I know.

And remember, an iron hit from the sweetspot with a 1953 blade and a 2010 Mizuno blade will be no different. What will differ will be loft, grooves, your swing, the shaft etc.

The i3s are fabulous heads, always have been, and tbh, always will be, until something genuine is discovered that out dates them

Louie_T07 likes this.
  6. N.V.M.

N.V.M. now...a cartoon

the i3 with a modern shaft would be a great club.

7. bjkabe

bjkabe Active Member

Buddy of mine still plays these. I've hit them a couple of times and they are WAY longer than my old Mizuno blades. So long as the lie angle and shafts fit your swing, I think the i3's are still a great set.

8. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

I'm still playing i3 O-size irons (bought them used) and they're great clubs!

IMHO, if you play them well, they're not outdated.

9. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

"Outdated"?? The Eye 2+ BeCu's in my bag are 1995 models.

10. satchmodog

satchmodog New Member

I play Taylormade Burner Irons and Driver, fairly new clubs. In the garage I came across the set of MacGregor Tournament Pro graphite sticks my dad bought me when I graduated college in the early 90s. I also have the set of Spalding executives he bought at the same time when he was looking for stiff shafts. Recently I broke my old Techmaster driver shaft at the hosel and brought it to a friend to repair. (techmaster clubs i believe were made by Allied. I have kept this 9 cent driver for decades because i simply hit the snot out of the ball with it, small head and all) My friend collects clubs and had a set of Hogan Apex Plus irons in near mint shape, so now they're mine.
    Thing is, I recently took the 3 and 5 irons out of each set and hit a bucket of balls with the four clubs just to see if my investment in the Taylor's were founded or did I just really want new clubs as a gift for getting back into the game :D

My half assed sorta scientific method with far too many variables involved with no true control did however show that I hit all four club brands damn near the same distance for each club type, and as i stated before, I hit this 20 year old techmaster no name metal driver just as far as I do with my Taylor Burner Tour oversized space ship looking driver.
    Are the Taylors far more comfy to shoot than the Brown Dwarf star matter Spaldings? Sure. Are the taylors far more comfy to shoot than the MacGregors? A little bit.

Are the Taylors far more comfy to shoot than the Hogans? No.

I actually wound up taking the 3 and five irons from the Hogan set and added them to my bag so I can further experiment.

As far as older blades go, I am currently watching a few sets of Golden Bear blades from the 70s like dad had, just because i want them for nostalgia. That will be the next test, how those compare to modern clubs. I really do think it's like playing guitar. Some people make clubs and guitars do their thing beautifully no matter what they play, and others just fumble around and are uninspired. Don't misunderstand, I am not claiming to be Jack Freakin Nicklas at all, but I have a good swing and good mechanics even after breaking my back and heel. I honestly think it's mostly in the body and technique of the golfer. Of course, when we get talking clubs from the 50s and earlier, we're all going to play like road apples.

We'll see if I'm right once I pull the trigger on those Golden Bears, however. Maybe clubs made since the late 80s are mostly as good as those made today and anything before just can't bring it. I look forward to experimenting.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and azgreg like this.
  11. Louie_T07

Louie_T07 Well-Known Member

Canada Canada
    Couldn't agree with Dave more. In the last twenty years the only thing of real change in irons has been plastic fillers, paint schemes and marketing. It's all as he said best, junk!! Well said sir

12. Elliot DeBear

Elliot DeBear New Member

Take a look at the Ping ISI BeCu's. You can find them on ebay for $300 to $400. Incredible irons. Feel forged, sets up like a traditional blade, very workable and just a blast to hit.

13. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I played i3 blades earlier this season and now have the i210’s. There is a noticeable difference in forgiveness of the 210’s. Toe hits don’t lose near the distance or direction and flushed shits feel much better.

Before this switch I would have wholeheartedly agreed that there would be no major differences, I was wrong.

14. Splunge

Splunge Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Agreed nothin like that whooosh sound after flushing a good shit