• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping irons question

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
Has anyone had any rust issues with their pings? I called Ping and they stated the irons should not rust at all. I live in Pennsylvania and only play in dry weather. I have a set of PING s59 (not the tour version) and am just wondering if I should expect these to rust at all (I hope not). I have seen on other forums where people claimed to hav eminor rust issues with the i10 and s58 irons. The s59's have the blasted/brushed finish.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I also have the same irons and have had G5's too. They normally should not rust but stainless steel can still rust if you clean them TOO well. SS forms an oxide layer which protects them. If you overclean them it will expose the metal to rusting. After cleaning it's always a good idea to wipe them off with a light oil. :)

They are still a hundred times less likely to rust then a forged low carbon steel iron. Those are "high maintenance". :)

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I have some very small brown spots in the cavity of several of my irons (i5). From what I've read this is somewhat common, purely cosmetic, and somthing PING will correct at no charge.

OP
P

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
I also have the same irons and have had G5's too. They normally should not rust but stainless steel can still rust if you clean them TOO well. SS forms an oxide layer which protects them. If you overclean them it will expose the metal to rusting. After cleaning it's always a good idea to wipe them off with a light oil. :)

They are still a hundred times less likely to rust then a forged low carbon steel iron. Those are "high maintenance". :)

What would you describe as cleaning "too well"? I clean after every round and dry them thoroughly. I use dawn dish soap and a washcloth to clean (No brushes) and try to be careful not to let any water get into the cracks around the custom tuning port of the club. I never soak the clubs (I lay them on a towel and clean each one individually by wiping them with the damp cloth and then thoroughly towel and air-dry them. Also, what type of oil do you recommend?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Curious to know what you call cleaning too well also. I just use luke warm water and a tooth bush, no soap or cleaner. Clean and dry and put back in the bag.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
chemboy2 posted: I have some very small brown spots in the cavity of several of my irons (i5). From what I've read this is somewhat common, purely cosmetic, and somthing PING will correct at no charge.
I had the same thing with my G5's, but it hasn't happened with my G10's. I used WD40 on the G5's and that worked pretty good to get off the brown spots.

thumper

Oct 31, 2007
I use a wet towel when playing and wipe them off after every shot. they are always clean and i have never had a rust issue.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Is dish soap (maybe one spoonfull per half-bucket of water) okay?

PINGELI

I would think so. If you notice any "spots" just back off some more on the soap the next time. :)

And sssmokin's suggestion on the WD40 to remove the spots is a good one since it will also protect it from future spots. :)

Ken

Sep 4, 2015
Country
Rusted clubs.jpg
Help... my new (1 year old) clubs have a SERIOUS rust problem. I play usually about every other week. Played about 10 days ago, I go to my shed last night to get them out for the weekend and I find them with tons of rust of them. Yes, it's been hot and insanely humid. But 10 days? Rust to this level? I tried cleaning them up with vinegar as I saw on Youtube, also tried CLR. Rust is gone but now they spotted, looked terrible. Sad sad day !
FullSizeRender.jpg

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Holy crap! I have been playing PING irons for decades and have never seen that kind of rusting. They should clean up with some scouring powder water and steel wool. Try Barkeepers Friend or Comet.

🔥 Latest posts