• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Peeps

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I know there are Ping peeps out there. Shout out!

I love my Pings, let me count the ways...
1) Even the old stuff is cool.
2) Well built.
3)

I was out on the course with Silky Johnson and a pimp named Slickback the other day. They are Ping Peeps. Even Silky! He was voted Player Hater of the year in 2002 and hates everything!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
smilie_ping-1_zps5d3d2599.gif
Shall I go on?

20141229_154441_zpsbxt8cuwo.jpg
20150103_092710_zpszltypmvl.jpg
20141229_154212_zpsbyrjipqc.jpg

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Best company EVAH!!! Best customer service EVAH! My Dad got me into PINGs when I inherited his Karsten I's. I've always been comfy with the offset in the irons. Love the feel of the drivers and fairways. The putters are money........I am biased (you noticed), but the company has managed to create a cult following.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have the i3 blades and they are the best irons I've ever hit, including some irons with newer tech. They are 15 years old and still look basically new, I like that.

I've never had much luck with Ping drivers though. Ha an i15, which I like the look of but wasn't consistent with and had a G15 which was the straightest but shortest driver I ever hit.

Heard of some recent quality control issues though so I will stick to the old stuff!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Got the golf bug in about 1981. Went to a local pawn shop and traded a Smith & Wesson K15 Combat Masterpiece for a complete set of MacGregors clubs and bag. Those clubs had aluminum shafts. Little did I know aluminum was not the best shafting material and they began breaking. Had a local club builder make me a set of Eye 2 BeCu knockoffs, "Copperhead" by Golfsmith. Played those until I really caught the Ping bug. Over the years...
At least 2 sets of Eye 2's
At least 4 sets of Eye 2+, still have and play the BeCu set.
At least 1 set of Zings, the one most remembered was a BeCu set.
At least 3 sets of Zing 2's, still own one set of those 3 through LW
Had one of the first sets of ISI BeNi to hit the Kansas City area. Owned at least 3 BeNi sets of ISI's.
Son-in-law still owns a set of ISI BeCu I sold/gave to him that came out of WRX and are 1-LW... 14 clubs with matching #'s.
At least 1 set of i3 blades.
At least 1 set of i3 O-size.
At least 2 sets of i3+ blades, one of those from WRX with 5.5 flighted Rifle shafts.
And, my current set of G20's and G20 hybrids.

Never interested in Ping fairway woods.

Had one of the first Zing2 metal drivers. Steel head that sounded like glass breaking every time you hit it.
I've tried Ping drivers from the laminated Zings to TiSi to K15, G20, etc. Never had one that I really liked. Just was addicted to the Ping irons.

Don't know now many Ping putters over the years. Still have an Anser 5 in BeCu and one in stainless. Have a "My Echo". Also have an Anser 'F'. Have, for the most part, stayed pretty well with Odyssey or Scotty in the putters.

Really got into the Karsten "story", from his start with Anser putters to his duel with the PGA over grooves. Never have like Nicklaus since Jack was behind coercing the PGA into trying to make Karsten's irons non-conforming. Nicklaus owned most of MacGregor, at the time, and was losing market share to Ping. The USGA would not bend to Jack, but the PGA did. The USGA is the entity responsible for ruling on conforming clubs. Yet, the original litigation was between Karsten and the PGA.

Also, up until just a few years ago, Ping was the only full U.S. manufacturer of their entire line. All others were having their components made overseas, with assembly plants Stateside. John has had to outsource much of the current Ping line in order to remain anywhere near competitive in the industry. But, Sam Walton used to brag about WalMart's inventory being "Made in USA". Try to find something... anything at WalMart today that is made here!!!!!!

Pings are cast and have way too much offset. If you don't play forged blades, you just ain't worthy of playing from the back tees with the "big boys"!!!!! Isn't that one of the first things you learn about golf??????????????????

OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
limpy- A Combat Masterpiece for a set of clubs? Bad Trade. Those are some fine revolvers!

I too like the Ping Story. My uncle was the golfer in the family and he played Ping. I always associated Ping with good golf.

I was mainly an iron guy, but really like the K15 I have been playing.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I have the i3 blades and they are the best irons I've ever hit, including some irons with newer tech. They are 15 years old and still look basically new, I like that.

Two really nice advantages on PING irons (especially the older models) - you could pound nails with them for 20 years and they'd still look new, and no matter how old the design, you can still play your best golf with them. I have all G/K series irons in my bags right now, but the Eye 2+ are as good as those and anything else built since.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
limpy- A Combat Masterpiece for a set of clubs? Bad Trade. Those are some fine revolvers!

I too like the Ping Story. My uncle was the golfer in the family and he played Ping. I always associated Ping with good golf.

I was mainly an iron guy, but really like the K15 I have been playing.
The K15 Combat Masterpiece was only chambered for .38 Special. It was one of the last firearms I owned. Not too long before that, I had a FFL license and quite a firearms collection. Some of my more "fun" pieces were were...
A .257 Weatherby Mag, hand picked from Roy Weatherby's stock... of course still German made.
A .25-06 Sako
A Winchester 94 chambered for .44 Mag. Yes, the old '94 that is/was best known for the .30/30 was also manufactured in limited numbers for the .44 Mag. I had a S&W Model 29 also in .44 Mag. Could run the same cartridges throught the handgun or the rifle.
The very last firearm I sold was a Belgium made Browning Auto 12, with the gold trigger and engraving, in a Browning hard case. It was complete with the 30" full, 28" mod, and 26" IC barrels which each had a place in the case. The original warranty card and oil cloth were with it. It was never fired. I bought it from a co-worker when he was hard up for cash. Kept if for over 15 years and made a nice chunk of change when I did sell it.

I had a RCBS Rock Chucker press and dies for .22-250, .243, .25-06, ,257 Weatherby Mag, .270... .38 Special, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, and .44 Mag. Also had a Pacific turret shotshell loader with dies for 12 gauge and 20 gauge. Would buy AA empties by the hundreds and reload them.

Was just talking to someone the other day about walking through the firearms section of some stores today. Seems everything is synthetic stocks with camo, etc. That Weatherby had a highly polished stock that was almost a Cherrywood. I remember the old Model 70 Winchesters and those dark walnut stocks that were so beautiful. The stock on my Sako was checkered and a dark walnut. Does anyone even use wood for stocks anymore???

OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Limp- The 38 special will get the job done. The Combat Masterpiece was one of the finest revolvers ever made. First rate workmanship that we will likely never see again in mass produced firearms. I could only imagine what a firearm built to that level of craftsmanship would cost today.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
My dad has a Colt Python .357 mag that has never been shot. Still has the zip tie through the cylinder and around the hammer so you can't even cock it or turn the cylinder. Beautiful gun. Stainless steel with I assume rosewood handles. He has quite the Colt collection. 45's, 38 supers,10 mm, a cowboy action 44/40. Most of them never shot and all in pristine condition. When he shoots he uses a Kimber 45 acp that is quite beautiful as well. My favorite piece of his is a Colt officers acp with beautiful cocobola handles. If it has been shot I would say noire than a couple clips have been fired through it.

OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Chris- Sounds like a great collection! I have a soft spot for the .45s.

Remember, you put a magazine in a 1911. A clip holds the base of rounds only and is typically used in old military bolt action rifles.

🔥 Latest posts