• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Peeps

OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I would take the Eye 2s over the Karstens any day.

You would be the only kid in school with a set of Karsten IIs in your bag.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Somewhere, sometime back in the day, PING must have used some kind of mega-epoxy - that started all that mythical nonsense about how hard it is to pull PING heads. It just plain isn't.
Another rumor I heard was that the Becu irons could cause cancer depending on how you worked on them. Don't remember the specifics and never looked into it.

OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Karsten ii.jpg
This is a Karsten II

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yeah the old Karsten model.

Here's the pics of the 2 sets im watching.

Attachments

• Karsten.jpg
    Karsten.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Eye2.jpg
    Eye2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 61

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Yeah the old Karsten model.

Here's the pics of the 2 sets im watching.
Karsten's background in aeronautical machining gave him the idea to investment cast iron heads. There were, IIRC, three reierations of the "Karsten" irons. From there, he moved to the "Ping Eye". All had some perimeter weighting, but they still were not "exciting" enough to displace the irons of Wilson, MacGregor, etc. as the choice of the masses. Then, he brought out the Eye 2. That club is historic and changed the Game we know and love.

The 'Karsten' line of irons were not easy to play. They are a quite low profile iron, really built to just get the ball airborne. In your bag, they would be a conversation piece. I don't think you would really enjoy playing them. For a cavity-backed iron, they were difficult to master.

🔥 Latest posts