1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping zings

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by Soulges22, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Soulges22

Soulges22 Member

United States United States
    Hey everyone, new to the forum, I just picked up my first "real" set of irons. Previously I was using crown regals and I wanted to get something better because my friends and I have been playing a lot of golf lately. I am relatively new the sport and just golf for fun so I decided to go with a set of ping zings. They are matching serial number orange dots and have karsten 101 shafts by adila. Can't wait to take them out and play! I took them to the range yesterday and had a little trouble getting used to them, but I think they will be better after I spend some time with them. I am curious, does anyone else here still play with and older set of pings?

thegolfclubdoc likes this.
  2. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Great sticks! I gamed the Zing 2's for a bit. Limp plays the Eye 2's. Enjoy your clubs and welcome to ShotTalk!

3. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I've become a big Ping fan. Older model Pings though, they were better made than models these days.

4. Splunge

Splunge Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome! I'm the local kid here! I'm 17 as opposed to everyone else being in their 30's.

I like the new s56's, but I currently game a set of ISIK's I like them enough but need a change, much to Jim's detest, he games I/3 blades, so yea, lots of old ping guys here. And old guys in general :p

5. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

If it wasn't for old guys there would be no young guys.

6. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I like the look of the s56's, been some not so great reviews in their durability though.

7. Soulges22

Soulges22 Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and the info guys! It's good to hear that people are still enjoying there old pings! When I bought these I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a new set for quite a while and it sounds like I won't have to! @Splunge I am also 17, good to know I'm not the only young guy here!

8. Splunge

You playin highschool?

9. Splunge

Also some of the best straight iron advice from the great members of this forum is on the "should I get blades" thread.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  10. Soulges22

Soulges22 Member

No I'm not playing for my school, I just got into the sport within the last couple months so I don't want to embarrass myself! Also it would probably interfere with the ice hockey season. And I'll definitely check out that thread!

11. MattyB

MattyB Not a sheep shagger. Supporting Member

New Zealand New Zealand
    How dare you call me over 30!

12. Splunge

I did that my freshman year, I was in the same boat, and now I regret it big time! Playing highschool is how I got to the point I am at, it will make you a better player IMO.

And sorry Matty

13. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

I owned and played more than one set of Ping Zings. The Zings were even made in BeCu. Shouldn't have gotten rid of that set. I had, IIRC, two sets of the SST and one set of BeCu.
    Karsten had used the KT shaft successfully in the Eye 2+ line. That shaft was utilized in the early Zing. The additional torque from the larger Zing head would snap/kink the KT shaft just above the hosel. Karsten immediately went to the KT-M (M for "modified"), with a stronger tip, but the damage to the Zing reputation was insurmountable. Shortly thereafter, he moved to the Zing 2 line and the JZ shaft.
    Many on Tour carried the Zing 1-iron, even though they were not in Ping's stable. That was a heck of a club... as was the entire Zing line. Forgiving... Reduced bounce... High toe weight to keep the ball flight managable... Just a great set of clubs.
    The Aldila shafts were, IMHO, just okay. Nothing spectacular. In irons, however, you do not need anything other than consistency. Don't concern yourself with how long you hit the irons, but how far. Get to know the clubs and know what distance you hit each club. Consistency... Consistency... Consistency... Repeatability... Repeatability... Repeatability. That's the secret to irons and you have a set that should give you every opportunity to begin playing this game well and enjoying it!!

Oh! Welcome to ShotTalk!!!

14. limpalong

Okay... Sorry, but one more thing. You mentioned the Zings were orange dot color code. That's 2 degrees flat. The comment that you were struggling, compared to your beginner's set, could be a fairly radical change in lie angle. I don't know how tall you are or how your swing looks. What you may find is that the toe digs, leaving the clubface open. If you continue to struggle, find a certified Ping fitter in the area and have him fit you to a specific color code. Then contact Ping and see if they will still bend the Zings. If they will, it's a minimal charge and might allow you more enjoyment of the game. (Note: Ping's color code has changed, slightly, since the Zing series. Your Ping fitter should be able to tell you how the new color code compares to the old and what you need to do... if you need a change in the lie angle.)

anonymous golfaholic likes this.
  15. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

Great advice limp. If he does that PING can also refinish them to look like new at the same time.

anonymous golfaholic likes this.
  16. Soulges22

Soulges22 Member

@Splunge

The golf season interferes with hockey which is my main sport and I'm not that competitive about golf, I'm just looking to get out with my friends every once in a while. But thanks for the info!

17. Soulges22

Soulges22 Member

@limpalong
    Thanks for all the info! I'm 5'7 with a 32' wrist to floor. I didn't really know what all the color coding meant till after I bought the set. I know now that they are not perfect for me but I only have $80 in them so I'll play them for a little while and if I can't get used to them I'll try to sell them and then go to get fitted. I'm not sure if it's true but I heard somewhere that if u send the clubs to get bent that over time they will return to there natural lie, is this accurate?

18. TEA Time

TEA Time Grumpy Gilmore Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    A 5'-7" hockey player... not easy but Briere pulled it off.

Welcome to the forum!

19. limpalong

You'll get all kinds of different "theories" re what clubs will and will not do. Most are based on the plethora of internet discussion boards and "experts"... which I probably fit that category... who think they know more than they do!! :>) WBL, on this Board, is a metalurgist... or metals engineer... and would be much more capable of speaking to the aspect of heat-treated 17-4 stainless of which the Zings were made from. In my own mind and experience, steel does not have a "memory". Once bent and set to a specific angle, unless severe stresses are applied in the opposite direction they were bent, they stay put. Some of the softer forged carbon steel irons can see lofts change over time if hit many times off mats or the player continues "landscape" with them. I, personally, have never seen lies change on 17-4 or 431 SST from normal use... once correctly set.

20. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

Best thing to do is call Ping and ask them. For some reason, I think older Pings can only be adjusted 2 degrees, but I may be wrong. They can answer all your questions.