• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping zings

Soulges22

Aug 27, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
United States United States
Hey everyone, new to the forum, I just picked up my first "real" set of irons. Previously I was using crown regals and I wanted to get something better because my friends and I have been playing a lot of golf lately. I am relatively new the sport and just golf for fun so I decided to go with a set of ping zings. They are matching serial number orange dots and have karsten 101 shafts by adila. Can't wait to take them out and play! I took them to the range yesterday and had a little trouble getting used to them, but I think they will be better after I spend some time with them. I am curious, does anyone else here still play with and older set of pings?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Hey everyone, new to the forum, I just picked up my first "real" set of irons. Previously I was using crown regals and I wanted to get something better because my friends and I have been playing a lot of golf lately. I am relatively new the sport and just golf for fun so I decided to go with a set of ping zings. They are matching serial number orange dots and have karsten 101 shafts by adila. Can't wait to take them out and play! I took them to the range yesterday and had a little trouble getting used to them, but I think they will be better after I spend some time with them. I am curious, does anyone else here still play with and older set of pings?
Great sticks! I gamed the Zing 2's for a bit. Limp plays the Eye 2's. Enjoy your clubs and welcome to ShotTalk!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I've become a big Ping fan. Older model Pings though, they were better made than models these days.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Welcome! I'm the local kid here! I'm 17 as opposed to everyone else being in their 30's.

I like the new s56's, but I currently game a set of ISIK's I like them enough but need a change, much to Jim's detest, he games I/3 blades, so yea, lots of old ping guys here. And old guys in general :p

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Welcome! I'm the local kid here! I'm 17 as opposed to everyone else being in their 30's.

I like the new s56's, but I currently game a set of ISIK's I like them enough but need a change, much to Jim's detest, he games I/3 blades, so yea, lots of old ping guys here. And old guys in general :p
I like the look of the s56's, been some not so great reviews in their durability though.

OP
Soulges22

Soulges22

Aug 27, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
Thanks for the warm welcome and the info guys! It's good to hear that people are still enjoying there old pings! When I bought these I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a new set for quite a while and it sounds like I won't have to! @Splunge I am also 17, good to know I'm not the only young guy here!

OP
Soulges22

Soulges22

Aug 27, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
No I'm not playing for my school, I just got into the sport within the last couple months so I don't want to embarrass myself! Also it would probably interfere with the ice hockey season. And I'll definitely check out that thread!

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
No I'm not playing for my school, I just got into the sport within the last couple months so I don't want to embarrass myself! Also it would probably interfere with the ice hockey season. And I'll definitely check out that thread!
I did that my freshman year, I was in the same boat, and now I regret it big time! Playing highschool is how I got to the point I am at, it will make you a better player IMO.

And sorry Matty

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I owned and played more than one set of Ping Zings. The Zings were even made in BeCu. Shouldn't have gotten rid of that set. I had, IIRC, two sets of the SST and one set of BeCu.
Karsten had used the KT shaft successfully in the Eye 2+ line. That shaft was utilized in the early Zing. The additional torque from the larger Zing head would snap/kink the KT shaft just above the hosel. Karsten immediately went to the KT-M (M for "modified"), with a stronger tip, but the damage to the Zing reputation was insurmountable. Shortly thereafter, he moved to the Zing 2 line and the JZ shaft.
Many on Tour carried the Zing 1-iron, even though they were not in Ping's stable. That was a heck of a club... as was the entire Zing line. Forgiving... Reduced bounce... High toe weight to keep the ball flight managable... Just a great set of clubs.
The Aldila shafts were, IMHO, just okay. Nothing spectacular. In irons, however, you do not need anything other than consistency. Don't concern yourself with how long you hit the irons, but how far. Get to know the clubs and know what distance you hit each club. Consistency... Consistency... Consistency... Repeatability... Repeatability... Repeatability. That's the secret to irons and you have a set that should give you every opportunity to begin playing this game well and enjoying it!!

Oh! Welcome to ShotTalk!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Okay... Sorry, but one more thing. You mentioned the Zings were orange dot color code. That's 2 degrees flat. The comment that you were struggling, compared to your beginner's set, could be a fairly radical change in lie angle. I don't know how tall you are or how your swing looks. What you may find is that the toe digs, leaving the clubface open. If you continue to struggle, find a certified Ping fitter in the area and have him fit you to a specific color code. Then contact Ping and see if they will still bend the Zings. If they will, it's a minimal charge and might allow you more enjoyment of the game. (Note: Ping's color code has changed, slightly, since the Zing series. Your Ping fitter should be able to tell you how the new color code compares to the old and what you need to do... if you need a change in the lie angle.)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.