• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Player of the Year(POY)

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
are Kuchar and Dustin Johnson the two on the list? or, is there somebody else out there? there's a couple on the Euro tour maybe, Kaymer for one.

anyways, got any thoughts?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
DJ would be a good choice. Led after 3 rounds of the U.S. Open. Led up until the 72nd hole of the PGA. Won a couple tourneys. Has had a banner year.
Phil's been way too up and down. Kuchar has had a good year, but I don't think as good as Johnson's. But, if this is the PGA's choice, they'll give it to TW again. The PGA would much rather kiss his patooey than to gift some up and coming young star with the POY selection.
Will be interesting to see who they do select.

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
c'mon guys, Tiger? i said player, not playa.

beermug

Gawwwwn
Aug 25, 2010
are Kuchar and Dustin Johnson the two on the list? or, is there somebody else out there? there's a couple on the Euro tour maybe, Kaymer for one.

anyways, got any thoughts?
there are a couple, some may even say a couple more,who knows,i really dont care anyway the season has been one of the worst in terms of game in game out shear talent

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Yep, I think the emergence of Dustin Johnson is the big one. I think he will be a star. Good call on Kaymer. Remembering he was one of the 3 Euro players to win majors this year. Only one major going to an American.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
there are a couple, some may even say a couple more,who knows,i really dont care anyway the season has been one of the worst in terms of game in game out shear talent

I actually thought otherwise. I thought this year was interesting. A lot of tourneys came down to the wire with lots of people in contention. The reason that is interesting to me is that it brings either the best out of people or major meltdowns.

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008

why? because what's-his-name lost his mojo so you don't think its worthwhile anymore? that's not the most elaborate response i've ever read.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Anyone (including long serving or new members) who has the temerity to say that the current tour players lack talent is incredibly ignorant. To anyone who thinks that - get your carcass to an event and actually watch them doing what they do live.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I wasn't compelled to watch golf this year like I normally am. I was quite interested in the Masters, I always am though-I love seeing that course on TV. The US Open is and IMHO always will be a snooze fest to me. The British, which last year was the most exciting major, somehow managed to unseat the US Open as the worst tournament to watch this year by the runaway win by Oosthuizen (sp?). The PGA as usual was also very good. I have come to believe that the PGA Championship is the most exciting and interesting Major of the year. The PGA does a good job setting up the course so it's tough but fair and isn't the snooze fest that the US Open turns into (the USGA is to worried about protecting par IMO).

All that being said, I don't know who POY is. I guess you could give it to Johnson, he didn't win a major though. I see the argument about Phil, but he did win the Masters and was in the hunt for world #1 for like the last 37 weeks, of course he didn't get is so who knows. I really would be fine if they through all the names in the top 30 into a hat and picked one. I mean, they all played about the same when you boil it down.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
But, if this is the PGA's choice, they'll give it to TW again. The PGA would much rather kiss his patooey than to gift some up and coming young star with the POY selection.
Will be interesting to see who they do select.

I think POY is voted on by other members of the PGA Tour (players).

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I really would be fine if they through all the names in the top 30 into a hat and picked one. I mean, they all played about the same when you boil it down.

Pretty fair point there. DJ could be train-wreck of the year; blowing two majors that he had a substantial chance of winning. Because of those catastrophic failures I don't think it's right to give him POY. How about Bubba? He had a pretty breakout year with a win and a very near miss for a major shortly thereafter.

Frankly though, I haven't watched much of any golf this year either, so I don't know who's been doing anything. Are Europeons eligible? Westwood played extremely well for the majority of the year to my knowledge.

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
Westwood was deadly until his leg issue, but his "finishing" on Sunday is still suspect. i'm not choosing Justin Rose, but Rose did better than Westwood this year.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Westwood was deadly until his leg issue, but his "finishing" on Sunday is still suspect. i'm not choosing Justin Rose, but Rose did better than Westwood this year.

I was thinking about Lee Westwood. I think he had a hell of a year. It is true he didn't win a mayor but was in competition for each he was able to play completely.

I think it was a hell of a year in golf. Tiggy out of competition really brought attention to some young players who are killing that ball. Great game this year...

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised to see DJ or Kuchar get it but I would love to see it go to Bubba.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online