• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

playin from the other side

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Well, i decided to start playing lefty this year as well as righty. Picked up a set of PowerBilt Grandslam irons, 3 Hogan wedges, and a Ping putter, now i just need a driver and FW/hybrid. Any suggestions on ultra-forgiving sticks that are now undervalued? Any opinions on playin from both sides? Thanks. neal

sdurham1662

Mar 2, 2005
are you any good left handed. If you dont have the natural ability to hit from the other side, I wouldn't. I'm no lefty but i bet the game is different from the left side. I dunno your call buddy.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Neal, didn't you wanted to cure your club ho addiction, and now you're searching for lefty clubs? ;)
Anyways, it's a good thing to practice a little bit from the other side, as you may never know the kind of stance you'd get. But it may only happen once every 10 rounds, so....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
A friend of mine is left handed, or as I like to call it, "cack-handed". :)

I grabbed his Hawkeye VFT last summer and got pretty good at hitting it about 135. It's a mental challenge more than anything.

There was a peice in this months Golf Digest showing Phil and Tiger swapping out clubs a few years back on an island par 3. Both dunked it.

R35

OP
N

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Well i was hitting a lefty 6 iron 135 in the simulator, and im starting to smooth out my swing from the other side. My irons should be in wednesday, and i'll take a few to the range over the weekend, i'll let you guys know the results

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
And the reason for the switch is...? Seems llike kind of a wasted effort to me. No offense, but it's hard enough to keep a swing on one side of the ball. Good luck, tho.

OP
N

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
not switching, just learning to play from both sides. I'm doing it because i think it will be fun, no particular reason to do it. Plus it should win me a few bets along the way;)

OP
N

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
oh, and if you wanna see my swing, i just posted it in a seperate thread;)

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Neal, I'm a natural lefty but play right handed. A few years back I bought a cheap set of lefty clubs to see if I should be playing that way.

I ended up going back to righty but it's nice to know how to swing lefty for the occasional shot that ends up against the wrong side of a tree or rock. Not sure why but sometimes it helps me to take a few lefty practice swings to loosen up.

When I was practicing the shot I could hit a right handed 5 iron about 150 with a left handed swing. I saw a trick shot guy do it once and then got obsessed with learning it. Should of been working on my real swing I guess. Have fun but don't divert too much time away real practice or you could end up with a sucky game like me. :p

davevandyk

Mar 9, 2005
in the newest golf digest they talk about how phil and tiger used each other's clubs last year in a practice round for the Player's Championship. I know from experience that just practicing hitting shots from the other side of the ball actually helps you with your correct side. It teaches your body to use muscles that you don't usually use, but that will help with the swing

🔥 Latest posts