• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Plummer & Bennett /Stack & Tilt, any results?

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the new "tour swing" phenom was, i havent tried it and will not be as my own method works ok, but i can see how this can work for some people, i think it works for the 20 or so pro's because they are talented individuals anyway and it must be that the parameters they are given are workable with their physicality and body type.

But if anyone has tried it and found it helpful i would like to hear why and how.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I have pretty much swung this way before I ever heard of it. The former college (scratch) golfer that taught me many years ago taught something very similar. For my limited flexibility it's ideal. :)

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the new "tour swing" phenom was, i havent tried it and will not be as my own method works ok, but i can see how this can work for some people, i think it works for the 20 or so pro's because they are talented individuals anyway and it must be that the parameters they are given are workable with their physicality and body type.

But if anyone has tried it and found it helpful i would like to hear why and how.

I just read the article yesterday (Golf Digest?), and I found it interesting. They showed a side by side comparison vs. the former standard. I want to try the stack and tilt at my next range session.
I did find another article a bit more noteworthy, though. The one which did a statistical study regarding the relationship of certain types of stretching and excercise as it relates to the successful golf swing. It seems that the stronger the hips, the more torso control (stability) you should have and it points to the benefit of stretching out the shoulders and hip flexors. I think my hips are ok, relatively speaking, but I do know that my shoulders tend to be tight as I have an especially large build (plus prior weight lifting) in the shoulder area. I will now focus on hip and shoulder stretches over the next month and report back.
Coach

Edit 1 -- It does make sense to me that instead of moving your body side to side vs. the stack's rotational movement, it should be easier to get your hands, body,head back to the correct position on impact via rotation.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I toyed with it some on the range the other day after reading the Golf Digest article. The first three-four shots were fantastic. Straight with great trajectory.

Then something happened and I pulled the next dozen or so hard left. Not sure what went wrong, but I didn't want to take the time to figure it out. A word of warning--It took me a few balls to "relearn" my old swing.

This technique can obviously work, but I think it takes committment to it and I'm just getting comfortable with my current swing.

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
I toyed with it some on the range the other day after reading the Golf Digest article. The first three-four shots were fantastic. Straight with great trajectory.

Then something happened and I pulled the next dozen or so hard left. Not sure what went wrong, but I didn't want to take the time to figure it out. A word of warning--It took me a few balls to "relearn" my old swing.

This technique can obviously work, but I think it takes committment to it and I'm just getting comfortable with my current swing.

There is nothing more difficult than trying to relearn your "Old way," especially as it pertains to the golf swing. As I am a single digit 'cap, I think I understand my swing very well. So when I try to make any mechanical changes, I usually know very early during the process if it may work for me. That's just how it goes for me.
Coach

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Like WBL, my swing was very much like this before. Therefore, it was very easy for me to transition to this swing. I just implemented a few tips in the article. A few very important things happen almost automatically with this swing: weight forward, shorter backswing, and a descending blow on the golf ball.

I am hitting the ball much crisper, and taking a small divot with the mid and short irons. If I can turn my mind off when swinging and not think about form, it turns out well. I am hitting the ball much higher and about a half a club shorter than before, which is OK by me.

I think this swing could benefit some people, but not all. It really has been good to me. I'd love to be able to get some lessons from Plummer or Bennett or one of their teachers.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
What kind of swing is this? Are we talking about the guys who are teaching a reverse pivot?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I have gone to the Stack and Tilt full-time now. It is flat out awesome.

As I said in a previous review, I had read Knudson's book and simplified my swing. More than anything in that book, he preaches BALANCE and LETTING GO. You have to give up control to take control. It was working wonders. Best I've ever hit a ball.

Then I read the GD article about Stack and Tilt. I applied Knudson's teachings about balance and letting everything swing on it's own, with the easy form of the S&T. I have never played better.

Your main miss will be the pull if you don't "Let Go" and just let things swing themselves while you swing in balance. Once you can let go of controlling the clubhead, the S&T is amazingly easy to do.

The MAIN problem with my swing, forever, has been figuring out how to get my weight shifted to the left on the downswing AND somehow, MAGICALLY, keep my head behind the ball. The best players do somehow. I just have never been able to get my head around doing this. With the short irons it has always been impossible for me to hit down on the ball. Driving isn't hard to keep your head behind, because you are hitting up on the ball. Hitting irons though, I just could never figure it out.

This is where the S&T is a godsend. You just keep your head over the ball the entire time. Simple. The majority of your weight is ahead of the ball the entire time, almost forcing you to hit down on it.

I have found the S&T has made hitting driver much simpler also. I have more clubhead speed to boot. I had my Swing Speed Radar at the range working my driver. Old swing 115, S&T 120. Old swing 112, S&T 120, etc. etc. It's just a more compact swing with less wasted movement.

I would highly suggest reading Knudson's book. Then take his teachings and apply the setup, load, unload phases to the Stack and Tilt swing. Tee to green I have never been better or more consistant in my life. If it weren't for my horrendous putting, I'd actually be enjoying the game again. Shooting 75 with 14 greens and 6 three putts really drifts you into "woulda-coulda" land.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Don't get me wrong, I love to play and enjoy being out there absolutely.

It's just so frustrating to actually hit the ball squarely time and again, much more so than I am used to, but I absolutely know I have to STIFF it to have any chance at birdie. Anything outside 10 ft and I'll just as likely 3-putt as 2-putt. To 3-putt EVERY time when I'm on the fringe (technically a two-putt, but I know damn well I used my putter 3 times)gets old in a hurry. Just absolutely no feel in my shortgame. Last weekend during my two rounds, I was chipping for eagle 8 times on the par 5's. 4 of the "chips" were with a putter. I had ONE birdie and I somehow got a 7 footer to roll in for that.

So this entire season has been "work". I have thrown time and money at my short game and just absolutely nothing has shown any improvement.

Thankfully, I put a 75gram counterweight in my putter and had a REALLY good session at the putting green this evening. Just an amazing difference in feel with no change to my stroke. I guess I'll see how it plays this weekend.

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Very much agreed over the despair of pigeon holing the technique as just a reverse pivot, i am "WADING" my way through the golf machine book and there are certain factors taught by these two guys that are also part of the golf machine theory + Mac O Grady's Theorum (M.O.R.A.D).

I think a few people will benefit from it and others maybe not, but isnt that the oil of the wheels of golf? there is more than one way to swing, so lets embrace these guys just as we have Leadbetter, Harmon, Haney, McClean.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Exactly right. This method will work well for some, but not all. I find it works for me, and I had a nice little 76 on Weds to prove my ballstriking is improving.

I like it so much I'm thinking of putting this way!

Members online