• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Power coating?

Woosey

Handicap is to high!!
Mar 23, 2005
Powder coating?

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get my mizuno MP-33's refurbished, the only place i can find at the moment to re-chrome them is in the states, which got me thinking - can you powder coat golf clubs heads? A quick shot blast, then powder coated would surely have them looking like new!

Any thoughts guys?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Re: Powder coating?

I'm not 100%, but I think you'd need to remove the chrome for a powder coat to work.

Rechroming isn't a huge job cost wise. Search around, you can probably find a group that does car parts that might be able to strip, dip and chrome your set for a reasonable cost. I think it's around $24-35 a head here to get it done. Much cheaper than a new set of irons.

Add in costs are shipping to and from, plus the head take off and rebuild of your clubs. That can add up, unless you can do it yourself.

R35

OP
Woosey

Woosey

Handicap is to high!!
Mar 23, 2005

Unfortunately i'm uk based and here re-chroming is a no-no due to the chemicals involved! I've seen -

The Iron Factory, Inc. - GOLF CLUB REFINISHING, MIZUNO, IRONS - COLORADO

which for around £300 (ex postage) i get new shafts, grips, re-grove, lie/loft & a rechome - so a decent saving over a new set.. not sure i could live without the 2 months they would be away though!

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States

310mA749m5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

£6.34
310mA749m5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006

Most powder coating I've seen is relatively grainy. I'm not sure how well it would hold up to the wear and tear (and impact) that a golf club sees.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States

Most powder coating I've seen is relatively grainy. I'm not sure how well it would hold up to the wear and tear (and impact) that a golf club sees.
Isn't that how they paint all clubs? Like the white R11s, Bubba's pink driver, etc.... or do they paint those electro-statically?

You know what would look sweet is blue anodized clubs.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

You can mask off the face and bead/walnut blast it. The sole, however, is another story.

R35

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009

I've been around powder coating (which is what I think you meant to type) for the last 25 years. You would NOT want this on a club head. Its a relatively thick coating (250 µm or more) that would fill your grooves, and cost you distance, as it's not a hard coating like chrome.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006

Powder coating is an electrostatic process. Powder coating can be done in your toaster oven. Plating uses an electrical current and is a significantly more complex and difficult process. It also uses some pretty nasty chemicals.

VegasDuffer

Apr 20, 2012
Actually, most drivers and fairway woods (metals...whatever) come powder coated from the factory anymore. The process has become more cost effective. As far as durability, all coatings will chip if you hit them hard enough, but seen people dent the crown of their driver and not even scratch the finish. As far as thickness, I have found it to be thinner than liquid finishes that require an etching primer, color coat, and clear coat to get the look you get with 2 mil coat of powder coat. As far as the face and sole, they require masking with a special high heat tape.

To remove the stock finish on a head, I suspend the head in a paint stripping solution that removes the finish quickly and is also non-toxic, as opposed to the stuff you can get at a hardware store. I plug the head to keep it from filling with the stripper. After stripping, just rinse in our wash bay and dry before masking and coating. I have powder coated several of my own driver and woods. The coating is durable and it doesn't add enough weight to concern yourself with, several came out a couple of grams lighter than they were from the factory.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I believe Woosey is asking about powder coating irons...not woods.

With that being the case, powder coating will not work on irons....I recommend (if you/he is determined to refinish those irons to send them to the states for stripping and re-chroming or simply sell them and buy a new set.

🔥 Latest posts