• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Practice makes better.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
For me, as it is for most I assume, if i'm not regularly playing or practicing my game falls off and I lose "the feel." It angers me when I go backwards, but I don't have the time to practice like that anymore. Oh well, someday.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The more i play, the better my ball striking and distance control gets, but the worse my putting gets.

Seems like I putt a lot better the first round out. If i could get both to happen in the same round i might just have some game.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
For me, as it is for most I assume, if i'm not regularly playing or practicing my game falls off and I lose "the feel." It angers me when I go backwards, but I don't have the time to practice like that anymore. Oh well, someday.
I am now lucky to play 1 or 2 times a month, I try to stay sharp by chipping and hitting a ball here and there in my back yard. It doesnt work, distance control is a mess usually and my driver is all over the place. Oddly, like Clark, my putting isnt usually that bad for how little I play.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
My driver usually perks up a little when I haven't played in a while... Kind of weird considering it's the swing with the most room room for error.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
No idea if I would go backwards or not...was pretty crappy to begin with anyways. Haven't swung a club in 19 months, got the urge a few weeks ago but it quickly passed.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
There was a point there where I practiced chips/pitches a lot at the course by my house. I was at the point of almost always being able to put a chip/pitch into tap in territory. Everything needs practice, but the real game-saver for me goes quickly when i'm not all in with golf. It's frustrating knowing what you used to do not that long ago and then not being able to replicate it.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I just went and hit some chips, pitches, and bunker shots down at the little muni by my house this morning. I am going to take advantage of our extended good weather to do this whenever I get a chance and try to gain/maintain as much feel as I can until next season. That may not be as much as I want, but it'll be something.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Wish I had a practice facility closer. Closest thing with a putting green is 20 minutes. Closest with a sand bunker is 35 minutes.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Wish I had a practice facility closer. Closest thing with a putting green is 20 minutes. Closest with a sand bunker is 35 minutes.

This was my problem too. So I went and got a few truck loads of masonry sand and made my own bunker. This had tremendous results on my game. As for putting, I putt in the house on carpet.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I like to practice. Did too little of it this year. Just joined a new club for next season that has an unbelievable practice facility. I hope to spend a lot time using it.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I've spent most of the last three golf seasons following my daughter around golf courses in WI and IL. That little ten year old in my avatar is now 15 and a low single digit 'cap. Plays a lot of tournament golf. I post a few other places. I open up ShotTalk once in a while and take a peak. I've been getting emails from the site so I thought I might write a post or two if I have something to add.

Kevin

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I've spent most of the last three golf seasons following my daughter around golf courses in WI and IL. That little ten year old in my avatar is now 15 and a low single digit 'cap. Plays a lot of tournament golf. I post a few other places. I open up ShotTalk once in a while and take a peak. I've been getting emails from the site so I thought I might write a post or two if I have something to add.

Kevin

Well nice to see ya and hope to see more of ya. How's your game coming along? I see you ho'd some white clubs since we last seen ya around.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Oh, I get it around. Too short off the tee, but decent with the short irons when I get them in my hands.

Kevin

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country

Kevin
Tell us more about your daughter. Is she winning? Is she thinking about golf past high school at all yet?

And welcome back, esox!

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online