• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Project X 5.5 question

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
As some of you may know I caught a great deal on eBay for a full set of Project X 5.5's. I am putting them in my Ping G2's. They came out of Titleist AP2's. I couldn't just plug and play because the shaft prep would show terribly, so I decided to tip them to fit. I have to take 1/2" out of the tip to make the fit and finish look right. Length wise it won't be a problem but my question is how much will this stiffen the shaft flex???

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Whoa...why cant you just warm up and cut off the ferrules and replace them? They cost pennies.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
One inch is a flex roughly. You would have an easy bending stiff shaft btw.. those are mid bend shafts as I recall.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
If I could just toss ferrules on I would but alas these are pings and slanted hosel pings on top of that. If 1" equals a different flex then these would be about a firm at this point. I hit my irons high and take a decent divot so the project x 's made sense for my game. Pretty excited!!!

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
5.5s are firm. 5.0 reg and 6.0 stiff.
Do they have the no ferrules style rounded top? Sorry im not as familiar with ping just have made up some of the knock offs.

Ok I went and looked them up. Let me see about the inside diameter.

Last edited:

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Ok so the heads need .355 taper tip and those shafts are .355 probably. But not necessarily tapered. If you have a mic you can check the id at depth or use a drill bit. What im getting at is they may not be goin down deep enough. Grinding the skin at the tip can help that. If not I would not cut them. Just install them and use a bit of aluminum tape. Or black like electrical tape so they trim up looks wise. Nobody will know or care unless you are making birds and then everybody will have tape.

One last pointer if they go in but not deep enough which is like 1 - 1.25". Some of the x are .370 but previous grinding can sorta make them small enough to start in but not all the way.

Last edited:
OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
They are both .355 and taper, I was concerned about them not seating all the way but it looks like they will or it will be pretty close. Pulled the lob head as a test. If its not 100% it is about 98%. Will that be a problem???

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I use a dremel tool to relieve tolerances. Sometimes its leftover epoxy in the way, other times its a metal burr on a tip...who knows. If its 98% I might tweek the tips on my sander to make them level and smooth edged

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
1379773250450.jpg

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I would just sand them down. Use some tape to show how much to remove. Dont drill the hosel cause a few grams of shavings down there is a swingwight or three. No way to cut so little without a thin blade on a dremmel or hacksaw. Tube cutter might crush it.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I would just sand them down. Use some tape to show how much to remove. Dont drill the hosel cause a few grams of shavings down there is a swingwight or three. No way to cut so little without a thin blade on a dremmel or hacksaw. Tube cutter might crush it.
Will do!

Members online

No members online now.