1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Proud coach!

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by IrishGolfer, Apr 29, 2019.

1. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

I've taken to coaching our local club's junior team, as my son plays on the team. I took it on for three years, this is my second year, and have had a lot of help/input from the pro, a physio friend and one of our best golfers. We have run a program over the last two Winters and watched the boys progress. I have about 8-10 players from 13-18 years old. Every year we play in an Interclub knock-out format and our first home match is this coming Sunday. The away match is the following Sunday. I'm pretty stoked about it. We also have some stroke-play tournaments later in the summer.

Our team is average, we are never going to win it, our indexes range from 5-10. The team that won last year, their worst player played off 1!!! But they are learning and getting lots of experience, so I'm happy with that.

One of our kids is a rising star. He's only 14 and tragically lost his mother to Cancer about 7 weeks ago. I know he's finding it tough, but we have all pitched in to help him and his dad and golf is a great outlet for him. I took them to a tournament yesterday, and he won the U16 category, played over two events, he shot 77/78. He's a great prospect for his age, a mini John Rahm lookalike. He already powers it past me. I see a bright future for him and am so happy for him for his success. He has already been picked up by the provincial squad and I think he will get a national call fairly soon. It would be great to see him playing for his country. He played off a 20h/c 18 months ago and is now down to five. I think he will be three by the end of the season.

2. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

United States United States
    I envy you.

3. IrishGolfer

Hey WBL, get involved! I guess it helps when you have skin in the game with a kid or a grand kid, but I'm sure your club is crying out for help in terms of junior golf development. I know it can be viewed as looking after a bunch of whiny kids, it is is fulfilling to watch them grow and develop.

4. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Good work, IG!!! The future of this game is in the hands of dedicated and caring people like yourself!

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  5. Louie_T07

Louie_T07 Well-Known Member

Canada Canada
    Great story IG, and even greater work sir!! My hat is off to you. Our beloved game is in great hands with you in charge. So thank you!

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  6. IrishGolfer

News update: we won our home leg 3-2 last Sunday. Some great matches. We are playing the away leg on Sunday. Need a good performance. I'm bribing them with McFlurrys!!! Winners get one!

7. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Awesome! Well done Coach!!!

8. IrishGolfer

Well, it was close, it came down to the last few holes, but we were beaten away from home by 3.5 - 1.5, so overall we lost 5.5 - 4.5. It's always hard playing away from home. we don't have trees on our course, not one! We were playing on a course with trees on every hole. A great learning experience for the kids. We now go into a plate competition later in the summer.

9. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

This is normal in America. LOTS of trees. The ball hides in them, disappears into them, comes to rest behind them, and generally is attracted to them. I don't know any other way to play golf. I need to come to the UK........

IrishGolfer likes this.
  10. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

About 4 years ago I used to play with a preacher a lot. He'd get behind a tree with no shot and just fire the shot into the tree! And about 75% of the time he'd get it through! Talk about "Devine" help.

TheTrueReview likes this.
  11. ejdahl21

ejdahl21 Never Lay Up Supporting Member

Was this his caddy?
    divine.