• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putter covers really?

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
United States United States
Are putter covers ridiculous?

it’s a hunk of steel practically indestructible!

I don’t use any club covers!

tiger and wolf covers that’s infantile!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I have always been anal about the condition of my clubs. Head covers stay on my fairway woods and hybrids during the round. I will remove the driver cover when starting the round because I use it often and it doesn't get dinged if the other long clubs are covered. My Ping irons don't show bag chatter so I don't use covers on those. With my Frontline or my Cameron, I will use a putter cover. My Anser 4's don't get covers because they won't show wear. Most of the guys in our group have woods banging together as they travel down the cart path. Drives me nuts hearing that. You paid good money for the clubs, why not take reasonable care of them? I have two little chips in the top of my driver. Both are no larger than a pin head. I plan on total refinishing of it this winter. Just bugs me to know those two spots are there, even though you can't see them unless you look closely.
I always carry a large white towel from cart to the green if I take more than the putter. No way will I walk off leaving a wedge or chipping iron laying and forgetting it. The putter is on the towel while I'm chipping. The iron/wedge is on the towel when I'm putting. Keeps grips dry and keeps me from losing clubs. My putter cover is tossed into the cart basket as I leave the cart. Replaced when I return, before inserting it back into the bag. Does not take any additional time.
Used to clean my clubs after EVERY round. Now, they usually are cleaned once every two or three days. Grooves washed and cleaned with a brush. Grips sprayed with a dilute soapy water and rubbed out with a towel. If I happen to play in any rain, all clubs will be removed from the bag when I return home and set on a towel in front of a fan until perfectly dry.
Much of this is left from when I used to change clubs more often than underwear. I wanted them in pristine condition to get the best return when trading. Value of used has tanked. And... I don't trade clubs as I used to. I still want them kept in as good condition as possible.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I have always been anal about the condition of my clubs. Head covers stay on my fairway woods and hybrids during the round. I will remove the driver cover when starting the round because I use it often and it doesn't get dinged if the other long clubs are covered. My Ping irons don't show bag chatter so I don't use covers on those. With my Frontline or my Cameron, I will use a putter cover. My Anser 4's don't get covers because they won't show wear. Most of the guys in our group have woods banging together as they travel down the cart path. Drives me nuts hearing that. You paid good money for the clubs, why not take reasonable care of them? I have two little chips in the top of my driver. Both are no larger than a pin head. I plan on total refinishing of it this winter. Just bugs me to know those two spots are there, even though you can't see them unless you look closely.
I always carry a large white towel from cart to the green if I take more than the putter. No way will I walk off leaving a wedge or chipping iron laying and forgetting it. The putter is on the towel while I'm chipping. The iron/wedge is on the towel when I'm putting. Keeps grips dry and keeps me from losing clubs. My putter cover is tossed into the cart basket as I leave the cart. Replaced when I return, before inserting it back into the bag. Does not take any additional time.
Used to clean my clubs after EVERY round. Now, they usually are cleaned once every two or three days. Grooves washed and cleaned with a brush. Grips sprayed with a dilute soapy water and rubbed out with a towel. If I happen to play in any rain, all clubs will be removed from the bag when I return home and set on a towel in front of a fan until perfectly dry.
Much of this is left from when I used to change clubs more often than underwear. I wanted them in pristine condition to get the best return when trading. Value of used has tanked. And... I don't trade clubs as I used to. I still want them kept in as good condition as possible.

I cover driver, woods, hybrid and putter. The older I get the more hybrids I have, thus the more head covers. lol

The putter cover is as much to protect the graphite shafts on the neighboring clubs as the putter head itself.

If I purchase the clubs, I want to keep them in good shape. If I build them myself, I want to keep them in good shape.

OP
E

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
That makes sense.
I don’t have hybrids or lofted wedges!
As for cost I pay more to replace the grips than I pay for the clubs, only thing I bought new was a putter the rest are mined from thrift stores.

OP
E

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
I use 4 and 6 irons for chipping

9 and 10 irons for pitching

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Yep, putter covers are good protection for more than just the putter. Back in the day, we had some ST putter covers made, mine is still in the bag.

10 iron is a wedge, btw, so you actually do have at least 1 lofted wedge.

OP
E

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
It’s a little more lofted than a 9 iron like a 9 iron is a little more that an 8 iron
It’s labeled with a “P” but I call it a 10 iron
I call my metal driver and fairway metals “woods” but there not made of wood!

they still call recordings records and footage but there digital now.

OP
E

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
To each his own!
More power to ya!

Darling? Briscoe Darling!

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I don't have any golf clubs, I call them golf ball motivators.
What you did there, I see it. I was close to a similar post earlier. lol

I call them bowling pins and try to play golf at bowling rates. I'll let you know when it works.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
It’s a little more lofted than a 9 iron like a 9 iron is a little more that an 8 iron
It’s labeled with a “P” but I call it a 10 iron
I call my metal driver and fairway metals “woods” but there not made of wood!

they still call recordings records and footage but there digital now.
Yes, "P" stands for Pitching wedge, which is a lofted wedge. Standard designation throughout golf for decades. Call it what you want, just don't say you don't have any lofted wedges just because you want to call it a 10 iron.

'nuff said on that!

🔥 Latest posts