• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
My dad is nearly 84, he has dementia. I go and visit him and my mum every week and usually stay with them. My mum usually goes and meets a friend to get some time away / rest-bite.

I took my dad putting last night. I've already resigned myself to the fact that we won't get to play 18 holes again, so it's putting for now. He seemed to enjoy it, he even holed a few good putts. We had a pint afterward in the bar. He doesn't say much these days but I'm happy for the time together, it is growing shorter.

He was a decent player in his day, very competitive. I guess I got that bit from him, :D.

Attachments

• Dad.jpg
    Dad.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 166

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
My dad is nearly 84, he has dementia. I go and visit him and my mum every week and usually stay with them. My mum usually goes and meets a friend to get some time away / rest-bite.

I took my dad putting last night. I've already resigned myself to the fact that we won't get to play 18 holes again, so it's putting for now. He seemed to enjoy it, he even holed a few good putts. We had a pint afterward in the bar. He doesn't say much these days but I'm happy for the time together, it is growing shorter.

He was a decent player in his day, very competitive. I guess I got that bit from him, :D.

Cheers to Senior IG, treasure the time with him!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

"But for the Grace of God, there go we....." Dementia and similar neurological disorders are a horrendous problem with the aging. At my age.... it's downright frightening. Every time I do something stupid, like forgetting what I went to the kitchen for or forgetting where I put something, the thoughts of dementia are there. It used to be the "c" word or heart issues were the most prevalent aging medical issues. Dementia is right up there today.

As FWS said, spend as much time as possible with him. The memories of these times will be difficult, yet treasured.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I hear you, IG. It’s the little joys that can mean a lot.

My father is 83 and a golf tragic. He thinks about it 25 hours a day.

Unfortunately his body is worn out. Heart bypass, atrial fibrillation, pacemaker, knee replacement, arthritis and a worn out back. Skin cancers popping up and being cut off regularly.

Given his back problems he can’t walk very far without sitting down. So, a round of golf is an implausible event these days.

But it’s the small joys that mean the most to me. I take him to my local golf practice complex. The staff are all nice and let me sneak him in to the members only practice area. We have putting and chipping contests. It’s just great to be out in the sun together, doing an activity he loves.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Sure wish you guys would quit talking about the maladies that seem to go with aging!!!! Some of us, here, are not that young, you know!! :D
It's awesome that you guys have the willingness and the opportunity to spend time with those whose bodies and minds are failing them. If my wife and/or I are lucky enough to stay around a few more years, would hope our kids will do the same. The 78 year old who plays with us EVERY day... and shoots his age regularly... was not feeling well today. He made it 11 holes before heading back to the clubhouse and home. Immediately, the worries are there that it's not a stroke or heart of something serious. At the age of many of us who play at our course, we're one fall away. One trip. One slip. A broken hip or something similar could end playing the game we love. We're one diagnosis away. We're one heart attack away. That's why we want to play every day until we simply can no longer tee up a ball and hit away. That's why we hug our kids and grandkids every chance we get. When will the day come that we no longer will even know them? Sobering. Reality. Still, to sit and mope and agonize over the possibilities is not our style!!! Live life! Enjoy life!! It's a very short trip and not worth spending time trying to outguess when the road will end.
Now... we could go into an in-depth discussion about euthanasia. That, however, could ruin friendships and I ain't goin' there.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country

Maybe he doesn't say much but I'm betting that trip made his whole month. You're a good son IG.

🔥 Latest posts