• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PXG Clubs

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It's no turkey but this is funny, especially if you know Larry David. That episode is one of my favorites.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
....as they did on the days they played badly with their old brand. ;)
Exactly! A billionaire can't buy away some of Ping's engineers and buy some PGA Tour pros, start up a new company and immediately see wins. This Game still comes down to a person performing at whatever level they can attain on a certain day.
So many of us, myself included, think... or have thought... we can buy a better game. In some cases, we can improve our game moving to clubs/shafts that better suit the swing we show up with that day. Tour pros, whose swings are honed to where they don't waver, aren't going to see a "dark to daylight" change as they switch club companies... no matter how much they are being paid.
Billionaires, or consortiums of millionaires, own the NFL/MLB/NBA teams. Some teams win. Some teams don't. This is how I look at Parsons. He "bought a team" whereby he can enjoy watching his team play on the PGA or LPGA. He spent money on engineers and facilities to equip those pros with a level of equipment equal to what they have been using. Just because this equipment retails at twice the cost of the more established OEM equipment does not make it better or guarantee more Tour wins.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Agreed. But his future does not lie with the Pros. That's just a means to an end. His future is convincing golfers that his equipment offers something better, be that added distance, forgiveness, 'feel' etc. So Billy or Zach winning is merely an endorsement that he's doing something right. Oh and they will win at some point. Expect to see the ads that will follow.

When Woosnam won the Masters he was offered a huge endorsement by Maruman to play their clubs. He took the money and his game went south. Was it the clubs? But I think this is different, it looks like PXG took input from their stable and worked with them for several months to custom fit them. It seems a more measured approach.

What will be more interesting is people like Mark Crossfield reviewing them and saying "Boy these things are so easy to hit, they feel amazing and I'm 7 yards per club further". I always watch what these guys play week in / week out. They get to test the best so if PXG is really 'that good' then presumably the clubs will not leave his bag.

PXG is aimed at the higher end of the food chain for people who drive Teslas and fly 1st class. They want quality and have no problem paying for it. They expect to get custom fitted and like the fact that they are playing the same clubs as some of the tour. Time will tell if it is just a novelty factor.

I hope the company does well, it's interesting!

Staff online

Members online