• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Q-Lok Spikes, Sweet J....

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Bought 3 pairs of Ecco's over the offseason, and had never had any prior shoes with Q-Lok spikes. What a frickin' concept. I wanted to replace a few in one of my new shoes and started turning the spike. I thought I had stripped the thing as it just would click but not loosen, until I realized these had Q-Lok's. I guess gone is the day of White Knuckle Spike removal, heating up the prongs on the removal wrench, and soaking the cleats in water. Just a 1/3 a turn till they click and pull them right out. I am amazed the things stay in the shoe during play.

I had decided after using my most recent I will never buy anything but Goretex Eccos from here on out, as they can be found dirt cheap in the offseason. This is just more support, and a very pleasant surprise. I had let a couple go a little further than normal, as I was as usual dreading the spike change. Guess I will only have to worry about it on the pairs I still have with Tri locks.

I will likely be checkin on any shoes I buy in the future to assure they have Q-Loks. Pretty sad that I would base what I would buy on these, but they are worth any extra cost. .... and I was extatic just to see they had changed and started putting Champ Stingers in the shoes to save me an initial spike change.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
so you have'nt used tri-locks either?
No, all my other shoes have/had the tri-locks, and they are usually a PITA to get out of the shoe. I had actually ruined 2 pairs of shoes in the past just trying to get the spikes out. One ripped the setting out of the shoe in some FJ Dryjoys, and the other I got so PO'ed I tried to drill them out due to sore hands. Not a terribly bright thing to do, but I was desperate. This after soaking them in hot water for about an hour and heating up the spike wrench to grip the cleat. My hand was so sore I was almost worried I would not be able to golf.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i usually don't use the spike wrench getting them out. i have a set of needle nosed vice grips and since i'm chucking the old spikes out anyways, i don't care how badly the vice grips mangle them. i do use the spike wrench to install the new ones though.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
i usually don't use the spike wrench getting them out. i have a set of needle nosed vice grips and since i'm chucking the old spikes out anyways, i don't care how badly the vice grips mangle them. i do use the spike wrench to install the new ones though.
I would do the same in many cases. Actually the Champ Spike wrench works pretty well for their cleats as it webs around the cleat, although many time rips it off anyways. The pair I tried to drill was only after soaking them for an hour, trying the vice grips, heating the wrench, and basically mangling the cleat

bryguy

May 15, 2008
I have had issuese with the q loks comiong out of the socket. The 2 pairs of Nike shoes I have are q lok. I have no prefernece either way, both are great systems.

Members online

No members online now.