• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Q School - European Tour

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
This has just finished up a few days ago in Spain. While the PGA Tour scrapped their version, opting for graduates from the Web.com tour, Europe still puts golfers through the mill in this marathon examination of skill and nerve playing for a limited number of places on offer for 2018 membership on the European Tour.

There are various stages of qualifying. Initially 8x first stage regional (72 holes), followed by 4x second stage qualifying (72 holes), followed by final qualifying (108 holes).

So theoretically a golfer needs to play his best 252 holes of high-pressure tournament golf to be among the 30 golfers and ties to finally make it. Obviously, there are some exceptions depending on categories, but it is still a pretty brutal way to get a job.

In the final 6 round qualifier, -13 and ties made it which totaled 33 players. I was following a few Irishmen's fortunes, one who made it and the others who didn't.

It must be hard for some of these guys to not make the mark. Just glad it's not me.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
It must be hard for some of these guys to not make the mark. Just glad it's not me.

Great point. Generally we only see the 1% who we marvel at because of their wonderful lifestyle.

My teaching Pro has only just taken up teaching after being on the lucrative Japan Tour for a few years. He had to go through qualifying each year and I think with wife and family it was just too much. He is the one I caddied for recently. It must be so hard for those guys to step away from their dreams. He still has that sparkle in his eye when we talk about the tours but at the same time he has that look of acceptance that he’s a teaching Pro now.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Local guy... well was here for a few years... played the mini tour for a few years. One divorce and alcohol issues ended that career. Became a pro at our local Country Club. Left that job a couple years ago to follow that dream of the Tour. Before even got his mini tour status back, lost second wife and was picked up for DUI. No idea where he is now. It's not all glamour. Some can stand up to the pressures and the lifestyle. Some can't. But, isn't that the way life is with most folks chasing a career? Oft times the pressure of getting or holding a job comes at the sacrifice of family or addictions.

Members online