• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question about bending a set of Ping irons

tiege

Feb 15, 2011
Does anyone know the maximum number of degrees the lie angle can be bent on a set of Ping S57 irons? Can these irons be bent more upright, flatter or both? Does bending beyond a certain # of degrees effect the playability of the irons? Thanks

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Ping, in most cases, will say their irons can be bent 4 degrees up or down from factory settings. Personally, I would never have any set of irons bent more than 2 degrees either way. And... I would never have a set of Pings bent by anyone other than Ping. Ping will perform the bending quickly and effieiently. They will do it for very little cost. And, they will re-color the lie angle dot during the process.

As far as affecting the playability after bending, that all depends upon the ability of the person doing the work. I've seen irons bent 2 degrees that were ruined... hosels bent... ugly bending bar scars. If the person doing the bending bends the hosel, you're in trouble. There can be no consistency from iron to iron if that happens. Ping, beginning with the I-3 line, incorporated a "bending slot" that should be the place any attempt at bending takes place. If each iron is bent correctly and consistently, the end result should be no different than ordering a factory set at those same specs.

OP
T

tiege

Feb 15, 2011
Thanks much Limpalong. One of my concerns even though Ping says it is not an issue is that this iron set was originally blue (.75 degrees upright) from the factory and has already been bent once to what it is now , White (3.0 degrees upright). If I bought these irons I would definitely need them bent back to either Blue or Black (0 degrees upright) since that is my lie range. My own experience tells me that bending clubs multiple times could be a major issue even though the Ping CSR told me it should not be a problem. Thanks for your guidance, much appreciated.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Pings can be bent by anyone who knows what they are doing. Ping wants everyone to think they are special and require PINK knowledge to bend their irons, but that is a complete fallacy.
Pings are a very hard steel (one of the reasons they feel like shit), and do require a bit of work to bend them though. With the notched out section and a good bit of heat (thanks to pings hellish epoxy you can heat them almost red hot and not break down the epoxy) they will will bend fairly easy. I have bent them as much as 3* on one set without any issue at all.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Thanks much Limpalong. One of my concerns even though Ping says it is not an issue is that this iron set was originally blue (.75 degrees upright) from the factory and has already been bent once to what it is now , White (3.0 degrees upright). If I bought these irons I would definitely need them bent back to either Blue or Black (0 degrees upright) since that is my lie range. My own experience tells me that bending clubs multiple times could be a major issue even though the Ping CSR told me it should not be a problem. Thanks for your guidance, much appreciated.

When you say they have been bent once... by Ping? Or, were they bent by a 'basement clubmaker'? The heat treating process Ping uses on the 17-4 Stainless allows multiple bendings without having an adverse effect on the integrity of the steel. Again... if they were not bent the first time by Ping, I would find that all the more reason to send them there for this bending. You will find Ping second to none in their customer service. And... to know it's done correctly and to know they will be returned to you as good as factory should go a long ways towards making that decision.

Let me put it this way. Irons are scalpels... not butcher knives. Each one has an intimate personaity, yet there must be an exact consistency from iron to iron. If you have your local yokel bend them, they may be correct. But, you'll never know. So, each time you miss a shot... each time you leave it a little short or hit it a little long... each time you chunk one fatter than Rosie O'Donnel... you will wonder if it was you or if it was a club that did not get bent exactly as it should have. The confidence that the job is done correctly by Ping would take any doubt out of the equation. The confidence that the job is done correctly should result in a positive in a game that is so dependent on the mental state of we who attempt this frustrating game.
The Pings in my bag are a set manufactured in 1995. Since owning them, I have played numerous other sets for short periods of time. About 4 years ago, I put these back in the bag and left them there. They fit. They work. They instill confidence like no other set I've owned. Don't allow the subconscious thought of poorly bent irons to negatively effect your game. Rather than do that, pass on these until you find a set... that has not been tinkered with... to put in your bag.
Certainly, I speak from my own experience. You will find dozens of folks who proclaim they can do just as good a job as Ping when it comes to bending your irons. Perhaps they can. I've just seen too many sets butchered, over the years, to trust the tools I must have an intimate knowledge of to anyone other than the professionals at Ping.

OP
T

tiege

Feb 15, 2011
Thanks for the info guys. Limpalong, I'm sure the clubs were bent by Ping. When I gave them the serial number for the set the CSR said when the set was made, that is was originally a blue dot set and that it was bent to white dot so I assume they did the bending themselves or it would not be part of their official record for that serial numbered set. I may be wrong?

🔥 Latest posts