• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

question about first set

uhhhson

Jun 15, 2008
so im going to be buying my first set of clubs in the near future. I played alot when i was younger then got away from golf and have recently got back into it. Right now i just use my dads clubs when i play. I was thinking about just buying some clubs from walmart then trying to find some used irons somewhere. Im wondering if that is a good idea or if it would be better to get new irons and have them fitted?

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
If you think that you're going to use them at all. I would get a decent used set and pass on the walmart clubs.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
We have a pro shop here. Click the link at the top of the page and have a look around. Great stuff, great prices!

Normally we like to recommend the Tommy Armor 845's, good quality and cheap as dirt. Welcome aboard! :)

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Welcome aboard. :)

Like Sling said, a used set of Tommy Armour 845's is a good/cheap way to start without breaking the bank.

Other options, if you can find a deal on them used, are older Callaway Big Berthas or some of the older Adams sets. All 3 put out good quality clubs that will get you through the initial stages of getting back into the game. If you decide its a game you wish to continue playing regularly, then you can worry about getting properly fitted into a set and advancing your game. For now, find a cheap quality set and go out an enjoy getting back into the swing of things.

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
I would probably look at acer golf clubs. Good price, good quality and you can custom make them on there site if need to. If you check with them on monday, they host a live chat and your can ask questions with a clubmaker.

Here's a link
Hireko Golf - Home

abledsoe

May 31, 2008
I bought a set of Adams Ovation 3 irons several weeks ago brand new for $200 and they are really nice clubs. As someone who is also just getting back into the game I highly recommend these.

Hypocrite

Jun 20, 2008
I was in the same boat. Hadn't played for 10+ years and then started playing with a few buddies pretty regularly. So I started searching for some new irons. Hit several different clubs and found a nice set of Callaway X-18's used. Let me just say new clubs help. Not going to win any tourneys, but I'm not losing as many balls. :callaway:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Anyone else notice that there's been a rash of "I need some help picking my first set of clubs should I buy a cheap set first thanks for the help" first posts lately?

I'm sure it's just coincidence, but still....

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Anyone else notice that there's been a rash of "I need some help picking my first set of clubs should I buy a cheap set first thanks for the help" first posts lately?

I'm sure it's just coincidence, but still....

Post US Open golf bump.

Members online

No members online now.