• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question for Canucks

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
awww.threadbombing.com_data_media_30_fail_thread.jpg

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Honestly, I've seen both sides. I've known people who have left Canada for health care, who have died waiting in the ER (for 34 hours by the way) and who have been misdiagnosed and eventually died (my grandfather, actually). But I have also been admitted into one of the busiest hospitals in under a minute in the ER. We pay under $20 a month and receive everything Americans do. I have seen one of the best ENT's 3 times, that was all covered. How much would that have cost in America? I've had 7 different surgeries, again, how much? My brother was flown to a hospital 400km away with a broken leg, again all covered for under $20 a month.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Friend of mine went for a 15 minute pregnancy test to a place that didn't give them free, which she was under the impression they did. Her own fault, she admits, but...124 dollars.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Well, if you had admitted that money was your primary concern here, we could've saved a LOT of time.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Grow up, Lyle. You're a hypocrite. You've avoided 90% of the points I've made. You belong in Canada, where you don't have to take care of yourself. You'd fail miserably in the world otherwise.

Not a single point you have made means jack shit. You have proven what a greedy, self centered person you are. As for me failing. I can promise you I have achieved more than you ever will, and I didnt need to turn my back on everyone to get there. So you can take your spiteful BS and shove it.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Not a single point you have made means jack shit. You have proven what a greedy, self centered person you are. As for me failing. I can promise you I have achieved more than you ever will, and I didnt need to turn my back on everyone to get there. So you can take your spiteful BS and shove it.

Think what you want, kiddo. If you actually lived by the nonsense you preach, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'm over it. You ARE a hypocrite, and that's enough for me. Should be obvious to anybody reading this thread.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Vtdivot

Thank you for some reason. Shouting does not change minds nor enhance better policy.

This is a serious subject United States MUST deal with. The Congress and Executive Branch have decided to address the issue. Abrasive arguments got no where in 1990's. And we were left with a health system cost growing at rates of triple the inflation rate. Unsustainable.

Life changes. I really become irritated at those who tear down policy without a rebuild in mind.

We all want to change the world.
But when you talk about destruction.
Don't you know you can count me out.

What confuses me is the extreme venom the mere suggestion of change of the US health system generates. Immediately the new program is compared to the Canadian system and nationalism patriotism is the underlying issue.

The new changes proposed by multiple camps are not a copy of the Canadian System. A hybrid thereof maybe.

Again the Canadian system works for Canada.

The US is at a cross roads and must decide which direction to go. To sit pat IMO is foolhardy. To change without SERIOUS discussion is again foolhardy.

As an employer my long standing policy of providing excellent health insurance for my employees and myself are at GREAT risk. Many employers have already taken the steps I must reluctantly consider.

For those who have employer paid insurance. A job does not insure continuing coverage. With a recession and health insurance costs increasing at a double digit figure annually as long as I can remember your employer must make hard choices. Either your pay rate is at risk or your medical benefits. Or your job.

The UAW will soon learn. It has negotiated hard to worker health benefits and has been uncompromising. With up coming GM/Chyrsler bankruptcies those agreements are null and void. One option is the Union will be left with the funds to administer the Medical. UAW does not want to wear that shoe.

We already are approaching a government run system. When you lose your job you are entitled to COBRA insurance rights. That means you can continue your employer paid group health as long as you pay FULL PREMIUMS. Now because of the amount of recession induced downsizing the Feds will pay 60% of those Premiums for 6 months. The next 12 are the ex employees responsibility. Remember a standard policy for a new hire is no health insurance until a probationary period is past. The standard policy costs $750/$1,200 per month. For the average US policy (depending on age and family). Is this affordable at the time of no job? Is this affordable for your employer to sustain at a time of diminished sales?

Change will occur.

The WalMart model of the lowest bidder prevails now. Insurance policies for their employees included. Keep the employee under full time hours and the cost is even lower.

My friends, the large publicly held companies are extremely profit driven. At what cost when people are lining up for jobs. They would be fools not to take advantage of the situation.

A legacy of medical benefits is much too expensive. If given a choice I would rather raise wages than provide Medical. In the long run that is much cheaper for my business. Honor and compassion prevents me from doing this.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Good thread minus the name calling.

Without going back through all the posts do we have any members from Australia posting in this thread. I've read a little about the system there and would like to know more.

I'm leaning towards a hybrid system that could still include private insurance but with standardized plans like Medicare supplements. One problem I've seen is that people buy a plan that they think is comprehensive only to find out that it's a joke when it matters.

Pre-existing conditions has to be addressed too but it's a minefield as long as people are not required to have insurance.

There is no easy answer here and I would sure like to see all parties, doctors, hospitals, insurance companies etc. involved in what happens next.

I don't think that govt. alone has a chance of solving this.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
The new changes proposed by multiple camps are not a copy of the
Canadian System. A hybrid thereof maybe.
Again the Canadian system works for Canada.

Canada is already using a hybrid of the 'Canadian system'. Due to their shortage of facilities and professionals ( 1 in 9 Canadian-educated doctors work in the US, and Canada still has 25% fewer per capita than the average developed nation ) they have to rely on the private US system for handle their overflow. Luckily for Canada, the US is conveniently located for most of their population. In one of those links I posted, it talks about the wait for an MRI in a Canadian province that approaches two years, because there are only 3 machines in the entire province. Two of the VETS where I take my dogs have MRI machines! There have be dozens, if not hundreds, in Illinois alone. And, as previously posted, Canadians are paying almost as much for their system now... so where's all the cash going? It's being wasted, which is the only thing governments are efficient at.

Wrt to COBRA, I can get the same policy for about 1/4 the money going outside COBRA, versus in it. That's why government healthcare is ruinous. Maybe if we could fix our entire government, and refocus it on something other than spending money, it'd have a chance. Until that revolution happens, though, no way.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.