• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question for "Geeks"...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Bought the wife a Samsung tablet just a year ago. She uses this thing non-stop. E-reader... e-mail... cooks with it propped up by the stove reading recipes... Words With Friends... Facebook... She has really enjoyed this and uses it far more than her laptop or smartphone.

We purchased the tablet at Best Buy. Got the 1-year warranty that includes breaking, etc. That year is up and Best Buy wants $100 to renew for another year. Tablet can be replaced for less than $200.

What would you do? If it crashes... buy another? If it lasts for another couple years, we're money ahead? ??????

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Thanks, guys. I've never believed in extended warranties for vehicles, applicances, etc. Assumed it would be the same re electronics. But, technology escapes this old mind so wanted some input from "the kids".

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
don't go for it - we've had our Samsung Tab for years now and it has not given us any problems - if it breaks, usually much cheaper to buy a new one.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Backup her stuff to a USB card, and call it a day.
The only thing that could possibly need to be backed up is pictures...and there are some great online services for that. Nobody actually does real work on these things(somebody is going to come after me on this...if you do 'real' work on a tablet and don't store it in the cloud...well...idk what to tell you). Anything she needs should be on the cloud.

Limp - I concur with the other posters, absolutely zero need for any extended warranty. Also, never buy anything from best buy. That place is worthless. I've had 5 different experiences with that place(friends and family buying stuff from them) and every single one of them was nothing but trouble. Their 'geek squad' is better named 'moron squad'.

They make a TON of profit on those extended warranties(nothing wrong with that...they're a business)...and they're rarely needed unless you're crazy hard on your hardware. $100 would be better off in your savings waiting to buy a new one. Odds are very good that you will buy a new one before that one breaks. Tablets don't typically have longevity issues hardware wise...they almost always become obsolete long before they break.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
The only thing that could possibly need to be backed up is pictures...and there are some great online services for that. Nobody actually does real work on these things(somebody is going to come after me on this...if you do 'real' work on a tablet and don't store it in the cloud...well...idk what to tell you). Anything she needs should be on the cloud.

Limp - I concur with the other posters, absolutely zero need for any extended warranty. Also, never buy anything from best buy. That place is worthless. I've had 5 different experiences with that place(friends and family buying stuff from them) and every single one of them was nothing but trouble. Their 'geek squad' is better named 'moron squad'.

They make a TON of profit on those extended warranties(nothing wrong with that...they're a business)...and they're rarely needed unless you're crazy hard on your hardware. $100 would be better off in your savings waiting to buy a new one. Odds are very good that you will buy a new one before that one breaks. Tablets don't typically have longevity issues hardware wise...they almost always become obsolete long before they break.
^^^this!

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

We don't have much for choice in our area. WalMart, Staples, and Best Buy. There s a Radio Shack but this one should have gone out when RS went bankrupt. Totally worthless.
We are also "old". We just try not to make purchases on line. We've bought three flat screens, a laptop, and a tablet from Best Buy. Never had any trouble with any of them.

"Obsolete long before they break"??? Four years ago, our firm required us to get smart phones. I bought a discontinued model HTC from AT&T. I have replaced the battery once. Couldn't find one anywhere, but finally did have the daughter get me one off Amazon for $7.00. Still works fine. By most, however, it's as obsolete as I am!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Why not make purchases online?

I would prefer walmart over best buy personally. Actually I bought my Google nexus 10 from Wal mart.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I buy Dell stuff off their website. Not rebuilt stuff though. Never had a problem and they last forever. Usually become obsolete before any problems.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I buy Dell stuff off their website. Not rebuilt stuff though. Never had a problem and they last forever. Usually become obsolete before any problems.
Our firm buys Dell laptops. This one has "lived" on construction sites for close to 5 years. IIRC, the last one lasted that long before the hinges finally wore out. I blow the dust out of it every 6 months or so. About half of the websites I go to tell me my browser is out of date. Well... I'm out of date!!!! Keep thinking I'll get retired before I need to ask for an upgrade.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Our firm buys Dell laptops. This one has "lived" on construction sites for close to 5 years. IIRC, the last one lasted that long before the hinges finally wore out. I blow the dust out of it every 6 months or so. About half of the websites I go to tell me my browser is out of date. Well... I'm out of date!!!! Keep thinking I'll get retired before I need to ask for an upgrade.

lol, let your poor browser update!!!

Corporate computers shouldn't be allowed to be more than 2-3 years old. IMO. They should be forcing you to replace your hardware.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.