• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question for the Ping peeps in the room

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States United States
I have never owned Callaway irons, I probably associated them mostly with their original iron lines which were SGI and stronger lofts. Back before Callaway existed, iron lofts across most brands were fairly standard into the early 80’s. As Callaway entered the game and TM started playing along with vanishing loft syndrome in the quest for distance, the industry changed. Even Ping has started reducing lofts recently and they were probably the last ones to do so. It makes sense that their clubs for high level golfers would dial back the lofts a bit and I am glad to see it to be honest. I just was not aware as I normally compare iron sets by the PW loft as I know the PW lofts on most of sets that I have owned.

That makes sense, probably the “iron” that it makes the most sense to know the degree on. But yeah even going from my TM 320’s to these, but have pretty close to standard lofts, and I can honestly say I’ve never played a sting set, and I’ll never really want to I don’t think, I don’t really see the draw in them. The way I see it, I know how far I should hit a standard set with stuff shafts, and I don’t really plan on changing that with equipment

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The way I see it, I know how far I should hit a standard set with stuff shafts, and I don’t really plan on changing that with equipment
Mid 80's, Cobra hit the market with the 'King Cobra' irons. They were two to three degrees stronger than, what was then, "standard lofts". All of a sudden, guys were hitting an 8 iron where their buddies were hitting 7's. "Studley Hungwell" would do his strut down the fairway with his chest puffed out. So, his buddies went and bought 'King Cobra' irons and found they could do the same thing ol' Studley was doing. Dick De La Cruz at Callaway and other club designers with OEM's saw the handwriting on the wall. You had to jack up the lofts, not to play the game any better but to satisfy the "mine is bigger than yours" male ego of the weekend wannabe.
Today, there is no "standard" loft or lie. Lofts and lie angles can vary a degree or two from manufacturer to manufacturer. You have to learn the distance YOU hit each of the irons in your bag.
What I've also found is the lack of consistency for GPS to GPS. Mine is a Bushnell. Some in my group use another brand. Theirs and mine can be three or four yards different, from the very same spot on the course. I don't pay attention to theirs. They don't pay attention to mine. I know how far I hit each of my irons according to my GPS. That's what counts.
Now, we can even go a step further to a "geezer group" like ours. There are guys in our group... within a year of so of the same age and handicap... who hit entirely different clubs from the same distance. We have some who will hit a 5 hybrid from 100 yards... and put it next to the pin. Others will hit pitching wedge. On the same par 3, we have a couple guys who will hit driver when others will be hitting a 5-iron or a hybrid.
Point is... no matter the loft of your irons or what your GPS says or your age or your ability or... you have to only worry about the distances you hit each iron based on the distances you use for reference.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Those are beauties...………...still the best irons I have ever owned. If I ever find some in that kind of condition, I will buy them.
Sssmokin - I've got a real nice set of blue dot Eye 2 irons in Florida. Matching serial numbers, stock ZZ Lite shafts and Pro-Soft inserts with new grips. I'll be there on Sunday and can load some pics if you're interested.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Sssmokin - I've got a real nice set of blue dot Eye 2 irons in Florida. Matching serial numbers, stock ZZ Lite shafts and Pro-Soft inserts with new grips. I'll be there on Sunday and can load some pics if you're interested.
Sure...…...load some pics and I'll check them out. What flex are the shafts?

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Still waiting for those pics...……….lol.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Timeless indeed!! After these handful of rounds gaming them, I would definitely second the comments of Subsonic. But I still have a very soft spot in my heart for my grain flow forged Mizzy MP’s!!!!

I gotta get them regripped and beautified!
ANYTHING forged will have grain flow. Love how Mizzy makes it sound unique.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
ZING 2 are very forgiving irons but are VERY clunky around the greens. Eye 2 irons have some kind of magic poon in them IMO. I have 3 sets - a BeCu set, a green dot set and a blue dot set. The short irons are point and shoot - high, straight results. The wedges are legendary around the greens and from the sand (ask Lefty). Just reshafted my green dot set with some PING TFC 169 pulls (from a set of G15s I think).
20190427_094011.jpg

20190427_094002.jpg
20190427_093957.jpg
20190427_094005.jpg
How did the road test come out?? Just curious.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Do you have to worry about spine or puring?
You're asking the wrong guy. I don't believe for a second that spining or puring matters at my level (9 to 11 hdcp). I use $10 FGS graphite shafts and a good swing yields a good solid shot. Spining and puring is a bunch of hocus pocus to me.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Do you have to worry about spine or puring?
Depends on the shafts you put in. If you are dealing with newer, quality graphite shafts you should be fine without spining/puring. The older generations of graphite shafts were more were more prone to spine issues.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
You're asking the wrong guy. I don't believe for a second that spining or puring matters at my level (9 to 11 hdcp). I use $10 FGS graphite shafts and a good swing yields a good solid shot. Spining and puring is a bunch of hocus pocus to me.
Does FGS offer taper tip .355 graphite shafts? I have been looking for some graphite shafts for my lingering Ping Eye 2+ project but the only ones I have found have been in the ultra premium price range $40+ per shaft.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.