• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quick fix for over-the-top swing!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I can easily fight an over-the-top swing. When overswinging it especially is difficult to control. Big slices can result. I've watched videos and read tips. Until today, it seemed a mystery as to finding a cure.

We have some tall storage shelves in our garage. Yesterday, my wife wanted some coolers down from those shelves so we could defrost the freezer. Instead of setting up my stepladder correctly, I just leaned it against one of the lower shelves. Reached up and grabbed one of the coolers. As it came free from the shelf, it overbalanced the step ladder and me. The stepladder went sideways taking me with it. I landed on the concrete floor with the right shoulder and right hip taking the brunt of the impact.

Last night the shoulder was extremely sore. A couple Aleve at least got me some rest. Headed out to the course this morning to see if I could even swing a club. Cannot raise the upper arm above horizontal. Hit a couple on the range and could at least make contact. All I had to do was make the swing with the left hand/arm, allowing the right hand/arm to simply follow along. Taking the right hand out of the downswing, I was able to turn my over-the-top swing into a nice in-to-out swing. By the third hole, I was out driving the other guys in the group. Ended up with the low score of the group and won 50 cents! Still cannot get the arm above horizontal without severe pain.

See how easy that was to cure the OTT swing???!!!! Find a ladder and set it up incorrectly. Clime up a few feet and pull the ladder sideways until it begins to fall. Land hard on your right side. Your over-the-top swing and slice will be gone!!!

You're welcome!!!!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I can easily fight an over-the-top swing. When overswinging it especially is difficult to control. Big slices can result. I've watched videos and read tips. Until today, it seemed a mystery as to finding a cure.

We have some tall storage shelves in our garage. Yesterday, my wife wanted some coolers down from those shelves so we could defrost the freezer. Instead of setting up my stepladder correctly, I just leaned it against one of the lower shelves. Reached up and grabbed one of the coolers. As it came free from the shelf, it overbalanced the step ladder and me. The stepladder went sideways taking me with it. I landed on the concrete floor with the right shoulder and right hip taking the brunt of the impact.

Last night the shoulder was extremely sore. A couple Aleve at least got me some rest. Headed out to the course this morning to see if I could even swing a club. Cannot raise the upper arm above horizontal. Hit a couple on the range and could at least make contact. All I had to do was make the swing with the left hand/arm, allowing the right hand/arm to simply follow along. Taking the right hand out of the downswing, I was able to turn my over-the-top swing into a nice in-to-out swing. By the third hole, I was out driving the other guys in the group. Ended up with the low score of the group and won 50 cents! Still cannot get the arm above horizontal without severe pain.

See how easy that was to cure the OTT swing???!!!! Find a ladder and set it up incorrectly. Clime up a few feet and pull the ladder sideways until it begins to fall. Land hard on your right side. Your over-the-top swing and slice will be gone!!!

You're welcome!!!!
Ouch!

But I guess they can teach old dogs new tricks!

Hope you feel better bud!

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Damn Limp, you could have quick fixed your putting stroke as well if you bumped your head and got concussed. As Yogi Berra said, 90% of the game is half mental.
My wife would contend I'm too hard-headed to even get a concussion. Of course most of her angst is simply because after 50+ years I still have difficulty understanding the "language of blonde".
Honestly, though, the putter has been working quite well. Hope stating that doesn't cause it to go bad tomorrow.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country

You're welcome!!!!
I'm going to try this. Sounds like a fix from a century or two ago.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.