• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quite a night!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Attended the Annual Board Meeting for our course this evening. Have tried to attend over the years. However, working out on the road as I had it wasn't always possible. Boring meetings with annual treasurer's report, speeches by course employees, and election of new board members. I never did run for a position on the Board since, again, being out of town would have made it difficult to commit to the responsibility and time. This year, I told them I would run for a seat on the Board.

Well, thanks to a bunch of really fantastic guys I play a lot of golf with, I was elected to a 3-year term on the Board of Directors. I've always said that you can't gripe or complain if you won't be part of the solution. That's why I tossed my hat in the ring. Thought if I at least ran, even if not elected, I had made an effort. Now eight other members and myself have to shoulder the responsibility of employees, grounds and greens, finance, clubhouse management, etc. Actually really looking forward to it.

They also give out some "awards" at the annual meeting. One of those awards is for the most rounds posted during handicap season. Our handicap season is from March 1 to November 15. Well, I had the most rounds of any member. I posted 141 18-hole rounds this year. That 141 number does not include rounds in January, February, or what I will still play in November/December. At an average of 80 strokes/round times 141 rounds..... I'm exhausted just thinking about it!!!!

There was also a drawing for a free driving range annual membership. Everyone who was there this evening put their name in a drawing. Yep!!! My name was pulled out and I won the annual range membership.

Fun evening. More than that, was so rewarding to see what has become my "social circle"... the guys I play golf with during the week and the guys I play with on weekends all turn out to vote for me. Other members of our course also turned out. One gentleman just celebrated his 80th birthday and their 60th wedding anniversary. After the meeting said the only reason he was out that late at night was to come out and vote for me!

It's a GREAT game we play... a Game that is the choice of so many great people. Now... to bed so I can make the early a.m. tee time tomorrow.!!!!!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Attended the Annual Board Meeting for our course this evening. Have tried to attend over the years. However, working out on the road as I had it wasn't always possible. Boring meetings with annual treasurer's report, speeches by course employees, and election of new board members. I never did run for a position on the Board since, again, being out of town would have made it difficult to commit to the responsibility and time. This year, I told them I would run for a seat on the Board.

Well, thanks to a bunch of really fantastic guys I play a lot of golf with, I was elected to a 3-year term on the Board of Directors. I've always said that you can't gripe or complain if you won't be part of the solution. That's why I tossed my hat in the ring. Thought if I at least ran, even if not elected, I had made an effort. Now eight other members and myself have to shoulder the responsibility of employees, grounds and greens, finance, clubhouse management, etc. Actually really looking forward to it.

They also give out some "awards" at the annual meeting. One of those awards is for the most rounds posted during handicap season. Our handicap season is from March 1 to November 15. Well, I had the most rounds of any member. I posted 141 18-hole rounds this year. That 141 number does not include rounds in January, February, or what I will still play in November/December. At an average of 80 strokes/round times 141 rounds..... I'm exhausted just thinking about it!!!!

There was also a drawing for a free driving range annual membership. Everyone who was there this evening put their name in a drawing. Yep!!! My name was pulled out and I won the annual range membership.

Fun evening. More than that, was so rewarding to see what has become my "social circle"... the guys I play golf with during the week and the guys I play with on weekends all turn out to vote for me. Other members of our course also turned out. One gentleman just celebrated his 80th birthday and their 60th wedding anniversary. After the meeting said the only reason he was out that late at night was to come out and vote for me!

It's a GREAT game we play... a Game that is the choice of so many great people. Now... to bed so I can make the early a.m. tee time tomorrow.!!!!!

1. That's awesome Limp - good for you!
2. I cannot even fathom the thought of playing 141 rounds of golf on the same course in a season. I don't know how you do it.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Congratulations limp! Is there a link to the course website? I'd love to see where you spend (now) most of your day at.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
1. That's awesome Limp - good for you!
2. I cannot even fathom the thought of playing 141 rounds of golf on the same course in a season. I don't know how you do it.
So much of it is social interaction. Blessed to have a phenomenal group of guys to enjoy the game with. We had four today. The head greenskeeper was watching us on #11 green. He started to crack up. I asked what the problem was. He said, "You guys bicker and argue just like a bunch of old ladies!" If we have two of us show up or ten, we still have fun. No one takes the game so seriously they throw temper tantrums. The more one seems agitated at their game... the more ribbing they get. If you have to have total silence when hitting... you'll never survive in our groups. We do make an attempt to quiet down, somewhat, when a person is teeing off. Often... the discussion ongoing on the tee box is simply too "important" to give priority to someone hitting a golf ball! Some go to lunch together once in a while after a round. One of our guys was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer. He still makes it our for 9 holes about once/week. So, a bunch of the guys go to his home most every Wednesday afternoon to play pitch. Two of us have granddaughters on the same cheer team at school.

We don't consider it "playing the same course". Every day is a new adventure. New jokes... maybe old ones we simply don't remember. It's just 141 days of having fun, enjoying good friends, and a few hours not worrying about what tomorrow may bring.

🔥 Latest posts