• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

R5 Vs R7

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So I have been thinking about picking up the R7 TP version and have asked plenty of questions here about it. I am also finding some good deals on Ebay on the R5 TP with headcover, kit and all that. Has anybody had experience with this TP club? Could the extra 50cc in club head size make a huge difference in forgiveness or workability (not that I work the ball a whole lot) Thanks for any replies!!

Also is the Diamana 83 shaft from Taylor Made a REAL Diamana, I cant imagine it would be but with a "TP" club i wouldnt know. Why do you only get one 8g weight and one 6g weight in the kit? This doesnt make sense to me so if anybody can fill me in I would appreciate it. thanks!

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Yes, the Diamana is real, i can vouch for it :)), but the 905 bumped it). I have no clue as to how they reason to give you which weights, i got mine w.o weights and just got 2 extra weights from Ez.

Trust me, the TP if you can hit it consistently in the middle of the face is a canon. The only thing i wasnt big on is that you HAVE to hit it higher on the face like most drivers today (not the case so much with the Titleists), so you CANT hit it otd with any accuracy or hit low boring wormburner-ish drives (which I do a lot on purpose, dont ask me y).

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Yes, the Diamana is real, i can vouch for it :)), but the 905 bumped it). I have no clue as to how they reason to give you which weights, i got mine w.o weights and just got 2 extra weights from Ez.

Trust me, the TP if you can hit it consistently in the middle of the face is a canon. The only thing i wasnt big on is that you HAVE to hit it higher on the face like most drivers today (not the case so much with the Titleists), so you CANT hit it otd with any accuracy or hit low boring wormburner-ish drives (which I do a lot on purpose, dont ask me y).

The sweet spot is not necessarily going to be a high spot on the club. The sweet spot is actually the bare spot on the club if the people want you to hit it higher on the face to gain optimum launch angle then either alter your swing to hit it higher in the air or go with a more lofted club so you can maximum performance out of that club.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The sweet spot is not necessarily going to be a high spot on the club. The sweet spot is actually the bare spot on the club if the people want you to hit it higher on the face to gain optimum launch angle then either alter your swing to hit it higher in the air or go with a more lofted club so you can maximum performance out of that club.

I have always played a 9.5* or lower driver and my current shaft is the graf blue. It can be a litte much for me on off days but i do like the shaft, The R5 that I am looking at is a 10.5, I have been thinking about getting a little more loft for some time now, I think I may give it a shot. Is there a huge difference with 450cc's versus 400cc's??? Thanks All!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
So what do you want to know? I have 2 R5TP's, have owned the Quad and Quad TP as well as the R7425. IMO the R5TP is the best bang for the buck. Very workable but just forgiving enough to avoid total disaster on a mishit. I played my 10.5* today for the 1st time with the real Rombax shaft. Avg. drives around 270, long a bit over 280 and a mishit out around 260. It rewards a dead center, dead square strike with an ear-ringing blast.

The R7425 is slightly shut but as workable as an R5TP. Slightly smaller head is a bit easier to control. A nice driver but I prefer the R5. The R7 quad TP is more workable than either of those but also not much forgiveness. Hit a slice, better duck, it might come back and hit you. I hit a pull-hook so nasty with mine I just missed a car in the parking lot... behind me.
icon10.gif

Whatever you choose, make sure to check GlobalGolf. I picked up the R5TP I'm playing now for $110 with the 10% discount we get and a 2 star is a solid 8 condition. I don't like the Diamana shaft most of them come with. I like a higher bendpoint, stiffer tip shaft.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
(not that I work the ball a whole lot)

then why are you thinking about buying a tp club ? i say pick up an original r7 quad. wicked stick and good balance of forgivness, and workability. not to mention its CHEAP! it's probably along the same lines with forgivness and workability as the r5tp, but the r5 has a slightly larger head and hits the ball a little higher at equivalent loft.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
then why are you thinking about buying a tp club ? i say pick up an original r7 quad. wicked stick and good balance of forgivness, and workability. not to mention its CHEAP! it's probably along the same lines with forgivness and workability as the r5tp, but the r5 has a slightly larger head and hits the ball a little higher at equivalent loft.

Very good comparison here. If you are looking for the square face though, the Quad is slightly shut, like the R7425. The sweet spot is slightly larger in the 425 and the head is 25CC's bigger, only difference. It's going to be tough to find a new driver that is square and forgiving. Everything forgiving is draw biased.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

I wont buy a Taylor Made club unless its a TP due to the 1-2*'s of closed face angles...simple as that. I was going to go for a Titleist but found some good deals on the R7 and R5 Tp clubs. I hate closed faces...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You got me there. I wouldn't buy a TM driver if you paid me. The SuperQuad looks cool, but other than that, I think they're ugly.

If someone gave me one for free, and I got to choose, I'd get the R5 TP, no question. The numbers don't lie. No offset, longer and (from testing), just as forgiving as the regular R5. You can't go wrong with that.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You got me there. I wouldn't buy a TM driver if you paid me. The SuperQuad looks cool, but other than that, I think they're ugly.

If someone gave me one for free, and I got to choose, I'd get the R5 TP, no question. The numbers don't lie. No offset, longer and (from testing), just as forgiving as the regular R5. You can't go wrong with that.

R35

I'm touched...
icon10.gif
and here I was thinking you were going to say Launchers are square.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

R35

Yeah, I found a really good deal on ebay from what looks like a reputable seller, 99.9% positive with over 28K transactions. He also has more than just this one listed. I think I will be the proud owner of a R5 TP by the end of the week, my first Taylor Made club....

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, I found a really good deal on ebay from what looks like a reputable seller, 99.9% positive with over 28K transactions. He also has more than just this one listed. I think I will be the proud owner of a R5 TP by the end of the week, my first Taylor Made club....

Sweet, welcome to the team. :smilie_tm

Did you check out GlobalGolf? I've purchased 2 drivers from them, couldn't be happier. Awesome deals.

🔥 Latest posts