• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Random equipment thread

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Is that a Tommy Armour? I have one too. Got it at PIAS for $5. Mine has a steel shaft and it feels awesome at impact. Thinking about putting a decent grip on it and giving it a whirl.
Yep. Gonna re-shaft and re-grip it and watch my handicap go into the + numbers. :D

Tom Hollenden

Oct 31, 2012
Here is a random question:

I have a complete R11 driver with a stiff shaft. I have been looking to change the head. Which heads can fit with that adapter? Someone told R11s and R15 may fit. Another told that any head will fit?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Playing at Forest Greens tomorrow - two 4-somes. I'm going old school. Subsonic reminded me that I have a NIB set of Wilson Blue Ridge forgings (3,5,7,9). They're going in my Titleist carry bag along with the Hogan Apex forged SW, PING B60 isopur putter. Top half is "modern" (ish) with the TM Superfast, Cobra Baffler 5w and 5h. Nine clubs - Stand by - could be awesome, could be forgetful......................

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Playing at Forest Greens tomorrow - two 4-somes. I'm going old school. Subsonic reminded me that I have a NIB set of Wilson Blue Ridge forgings (3,5,7,9). They're going in my Titleist carry bag along with the Hogan Apex forged SW, PING B60 isopur putter. Top half is "modern" (ish) with the TM Superfast, Cobra Baffler 5w and 5h. Nine clubs - Stand by - could be awesome, could be forgetful......................

I call dibs on the Blue Ridge irons when you are done with them. :D:)

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
The Wilson Sam Snead set were awesome in their own way. I hit them very well and they feel like butter, even with the stock crap shafts. It's amazing how much club design has changed from a length and loft standpoint. Never mind multi-material heads with welded-on flexing faces, the Wilsons were pounded into shape from a soft hunk of carbon steel and are short and hi-lofted! The 7 iron in my set is the same shaft length as a PING G 9 iron! They are literally 2 clubs shorter in distance too. I used the 9i as a GW, the 5i as a 7i, etc. Seriously old school, and surprisingly easy to hit. I even hit the 3i on a 2nd shot on a par 5 and launched it pretty high.
20170731_082152.jpg

20170731_082139.jpg

20170731_071612.jpg

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I need someone to sneak into my basement and take away every adjustable club head wrench I own!!! Simply cannot leave anything well enough alone. Was playing my XR16 at S (standard) D (draw). Playing okay with it, but thought it could be better. Unbolted the shaft from the Mini and put in the XR. Shot some really low scores with it. It CAN be better. Put the driver shaft back in set at +1, D. Didn't like that. Today, played it at -1, N. That ain't gonna work. Put the driver shaft in my Mini and the Mini shaft back in the driver. Have the "short shafted" driver set back at S, D. The Mini is set at the same... S, D. If I can come close to controlling the long shaft in the Mini, it should be fun.

You see what I mean??? I haven't touched the adjustment on my fairways for... maybe three weeks. That's a record. The driver, however, I cannot seem to leave alone. I need one of the wrenches stuck in my ear and an adjustment made to my brain!!!!

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I need someone to sneak into my basement and take away every adjustable club head wrench I own!!! Simply cannot leave anything well enough alone. Was playing my XR16 at S (standard) D (draw). Playing okay with it, but thought it could be better. Unbolted the shaft from the Mini and put in the XR. Shot some really low scores with it. It CAN be better. Put the driver shaft back in set at +1, D. Didn't like that. Today, played it at -1, N. That ain't gonna work. Put the driver shaft in my Mini and the Mini shaft back in the driver. Have the "short shafted" driver set back at S, D. The Mini is set at the same... S, D. If I can come close to controlling the long shaft in the Mini, it should be fun.

You see what I mean??? I haven't touched the adjustment on my fairways for... maybe three weeks. That's a record. The driver, however, I cannot seem to leave alone. I need one of the wrenches stuck in my ear and an adjustment made to my brain!!!!
You have very clearly depicted the reason I do NOT use adjustable clubs.. . .

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
So the head of one of my wedges flew off during my company golf outing.

6 years I think on 5 minute epoxy I had sitting around because I was too impatient to get the good stuff. Not too bad. Came out clean so I should be able to put it back on no problem.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
So the head of one of my wedges flew off during my company golf outing.

6 years I think on 5 minute epoxy I had sitting around because I was too impatient to get the good stuff. Not too bad. Came out clean so I should be able to put it back on no problem.
Did you go to the FWS School of Club Building???

Members online

No members online now.