• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Random equipment thread

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
I hope I've made you proud!
star7.jpg

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
The Wilson Sam Snead set were awesome in their own way. I hit them very well and they feel like butter, even with the stock crap shafts. It's amazing how much club design has changed from a length and loft standpoint. Never mind multi-material heads with welded-on flexing faces, the Wilsons were pounded into shape from a soft hunk of carbon steel and are short and hi-lofted! The 7 iron in my set is the same shaft length as a PING G 9 iron! They are literally 2 clubs shorter in distance too. I used the 9i as a GW, the 5i as a 7i, etc. Seriously old school, and surprisingly easy to hit. I even hit the 3i on a 2nd shot on a par 5 and launched it pretty high.
20170731_082152.jpg

20170731_082139.jpg

20170731_071612.jpg

Way to get the Classics back on the course!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Tomorrow's bag, while the epoxy dries on all the other shit I'm building. See next post.

20170802_115245.jpg

Cobra Max 11.5*, Baffler 7w, 5h
PING G30 7-W, Eye 2 +no+ W (50*), Top Flite SW (56*)
Scotty Cameron Fastback

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Tomorrow's bag, while the epoxy dries on all the other shit I'm building. See next post.
"All the other shit" you're building? The NSA has probably red flagged your communications. Expect a visit by guys in cheap government suits. Guantanamo Bay is nice this time of year.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Really liking how I've had the top end of the bag set up the past few weeks.

XR16 driver (set standard 10.5 loft) with the OEM Speeder at standard 45.75 length.
Mini 1.5 (set standard 14 degree loft) with driver 45.75 driver shaft.
Big Bertha 3-wood set at +2 (17 degrees) with 44" Mini 1.5 shaft. Standard 3-wood is 43, so it's 1" over length. Sorta makes it a 4++... 4 wood loft with a 2-wood length shaft.

The XR16 is long, but difficult to turn over. Hits a nice straight ball that will produce a gentle fade right at the end.
The Mini 1.5 is almost as long as the XR16 even though higher loft. It goes dead straight. If I need to, can turn it over. Just like to hit a long straight, predictable ball with it.
The 3-wood is unbelievable. The ball takes off and just climbs and goes. I've birdied more par 5's this past few weeks than I can ever remember. With a drive in the fairway, I have ever confidence I'll be hitting a wedge to the green for my third.

With what amounts to two drivers plus 3-wood, 5-wood, 3-hybrid, and 4 hybrid it cuts down on what you can fit in the bottom end of the bag. With the geezers who don't give a hoot, I've played a couple rounds with 15 clubs. Have the 3h out of the bag for a short golf trip late this week. That allows me to keep the upper end and the wedges I believe I need at the lower end.

I've even been able to conquer my "nemesis hole" the past couple of days. If you are center or left of center off the tee you have a huge cottonwood tree between you and the green. It's just "jail" over there. If you miss to the right too far, there is a maintenance shed and OB. The ONLY shot is a soft fade, but it has to be long. Swing too hard and go either left or right and it's trouble. Have been inside 100 yards the past two days, right center fairway with the flag blowing you kisses.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Really liking how I've had the top end of the bag set up the past few weeks.

XR16 driver (set standard 10.5 loft) with the OEM Speeder at standard 45.75 length.
Mini 1.5 (set standard 14 degree loft) with driver 45.75 driver shaft.
Big Bertha 3-wood set at +2 (17 degrees) with 44" Mini 1.5 shaft. Standard 3-wood is 43, so it's 1" over length. Sorta makes it a 4++... 4 wood loft with a 2-wood length shaft.

The XR16 is long, but difficult to turn over. Hits a nice straight ball that will produce a gentle fade right at the end.
The Mini 1.5 is almost as long as the XR16 even though higher loft. It goes dead straight. If I need to, can turn it over. Just like to hit a long straight, predictable ball with it.
The 3-wood is unbelievable. The ball takes off and just climbs and goes. I've birdied more par 5's this past few weeks than I can ever remember. With a drive in the fairway, I have ever confidence I'll be hitting a wedge to the green for my third.

With what amounts to two drivers plus 3-wood, 5-wood, 3-hybrid, and 4 hybrid it cuts down on what you can fit in the bottom end of the bag. With the geezers who don't give a hoot, I've played a couple rounds with 15 clubs. Have the 3h out of the bag for a short golf trip late this week. That allows me to keep the upper end and the wedges I believe I need at the lower end.

I've even been able to conquer my "nemesis hole" the past couple of days. If you are center or left of center off the tee you have a huge cottonwood tree between you and the green. It's just "jail" over there. If you miss to the right too far, there is a maintenance shed and OB. The ONLY shot is a soft fade, but it has to be long. Swing too hard and go either left or right and it's trouble. Have been inside 100 yards the past two days, right center fairway with the flag blowing you kisses.
At Waushara CC they have a 250 yard par 4. Sounds easy? It's a slight dogleg right at halfway and the narrowest fairway you've ever seen, lined on both sides with huge tall pine trees. You can't see the green from the tee. It takes a perfect 3-wood or hybrid shot down the middle or left side of fairway (not much difference) to have a chance on the three tiered elevated green. Fairway where you hit your irons to the green is hard pan. Hard as a ROCK. And the traps all around the green.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Played golf with wife's cousins while in Minnesota a couple weeks ago. The one cousin had picked up a Callaway XR driver some months ago. The gosh awful left-to-right flight was tough to watch. But, he seemed to like the club. After playing with him the last morning, I asked to take a look at the driver. It was a 9 degree, set at -1/N. That means he was hitting an 8 degree driver. I had a Callaway wrench in my bag. Moved it to +2/D. Told him to try it.

Got a text from him this morning. He got out yesterday for the first time since we had visited. Said he could not believe the difference. Actually hits it almost straight. Said that now I need to cure his 'second shot' problems.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Played golf with wife's cousins while in Minnesota a couple weeks ago. The one cousin had picked up a Callaway XR driver some months ago. The gosh awful left-to-right flight was tough to watch. But, he seemed to like the club. After playing with him the last morning, I asked to take a look at the driver. It was a 9 degree, set at -1/N. That means he was hitting an 8 degree driver. I had a Callaway wrench in my bag. Moved it to +2/D. Told him to try it.

Got a text from him this morning. He got out yesterday for the first time since we had visited. Said he could not believe the difference. Actually hits it almost straight. Said that now I need to cure his 'second shot' problems.
Tell him to take up gambling, it's cheaper and easier.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country

I hate Callaway's. What? Your whole bag is full of it!!! :eek:

🔥 Latest posts