1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Random equipment thread

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by azgreg, Jul 15, 2017.

1. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

United States United States
    Really liking how I've had the top end of the bag set up the past few weeks.

XR16 driver (set standard 10.5 loft) with the OEM Speeder at standard 45.75 length.
    Mini 1.5 (set standard 14 degree loft) with driver 45.75 driver shaft.
    Big Bertha 3-wood set at +2 (17 degrees) with 44" Mini 1.5 shaft. Standard 3-wood is 43, so it's 1" over length. Sorta makes it a 4++... 4 wood loft with a 2-wood length shaft.

The XR16 is long, but difficult to turn over. Hits a nice straight ball that will produce a gentle fade right at the end.
    The Mini 1.5 is almost as long as the XR16 even though higher loft. It goes dead straight. If I need to, can turn it over. Just like to hit a long straight, predictable ball with it.
    The 3-wood is unbelievable. The ball takes off and just climbs and goes. I've birdied more par 5's this past few weeks than I can ever remember. With a drive in the fairway, I have ever confidence I'll be hitting a wedge to the green for my third.

With what amounts to two drivers plus 3-wood, 5-wood, 3-hybrid, and 4 hybrid it cuts down on what you can fit in the bottom end of the bag. With the geezers who don't give a hoot, I've played a couple rounds with 15 clubs. Have the 3h out of the bag for a short golf trip late this week. That allows me to keep the upper end and the wedges I believe I need at the lower end.

I've even been able to conquer my "nemesis hole" the past couple of days. If you are center or left of center off the tee you have a huge cottonwood tree between you and the green. It's just "jail" over there. If you miss to the right too far, there is a maintenance shed and OB. The ONLY shot is a soft fade, but it has to be long. Swing too hard and go either left or right and it's trouble. Have been inside 100 yards the past two days, right center fairway with the flag blowing you kisses.

2. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

At Waushara CC they have a 250 yard par 4. Sounds easy? It's a slight dogleg right at halfway and the narrowest fairway you've ever seen, lined on both sides with huge tall pine trees. You can't see the green from the tee. It takes a perfect 3-wood or hybrid shot down the middle or left side of fairway (not much difference) to have a chance on the three tiered elevated green. Fairway where you hit your irons to the green is hard pan. Hard as a ROCK. And the traps all around the green.

3. limpalong

Played golf with wife's cousins while in Minnesota a couple weeks ago. The one cousin had picked up a Callaway XR driver some months ago. The gosh awful left-to-right flight was tough to watch. But, he seemed to like the club. After playing with him the last morning, I asked to take a look at the driver. It was a 9 degree, set at -1/N. That means he was hitting an 8 degree driver. I had a Callaway wrench in my bag. Moved it to +2/D. Told him to try it.

Got a text from him this morning. He got out yesterday for the first time since we had visited. Said he could not believe the difference. Actually hits it almost straight. Said that now I need to cure his 'second shot' problems.

4. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Tell him to take up gambling, it's cheaper and easier.

5. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

I hate Callaway's. What? Your whole bag is full of it!!! :eek:

6. limpalong

They've been treating me pretty well. The company, Callaway, sure proved their superb customer service when they handled a little warranty issue a few weeks ago. The ONLY issue I have at the current time is the amount of bounce on these short irons.
    The XR16 driver and the Mini 1.5 are both quite dependable... especially the Mini. And, the fairways are awesome. Just spotted a nice set of Ping GMax with "A" flex shafts. If they're still there tomorrow....

Fairwaysplitter3320 and PaPaD like this.
  7. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Do it.

limpalong likes this.
  8. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

I looked at those today in my local shop. They look just like my G5 and G10 irons, but I am guessing they have the modern thin faces for distance. Good looking clubs/shafts! They are marked down to $100/club in graphite now.

9. limpalong

This is a set of 4 through U-wedge, graphite, and is $400. Good buy. But, as well as the Callaways are working, probably won't even go back to see if they are still there.

10. PaPaD

That's half price! Do it! Trade the Callys in.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and subsonic like this.
  11. subsonic

subsonic Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Silly Ho.

12. limpalong

Went back to the shop to see if still there. They were. Shop owner sent them home with me and told me to play a round or two with them. They are blue dot, 4-UW, 1/2" longer than my Callaway irons. SR flex shafts. He told me who had purchased them new. That gentleman just traded them on a set of the new G400 irons.

Plan to go out early tomorrow and play three or four holes to see it I want to put a different set of irons in play for the afternoon tournament. Still have the Callaway irons if I decide to stick with a familiar set for that round.

13. limpalong

Went back to the shop to see if still there. They were. Shop owner sent them home with me and told me to play a round or two with them. They are blue dot, 4-UW, 1/2" longer than my Callaway irons. SR flex shafts. He told me who had purchased them new. That gentleman just traded them on a set of the new G400 irons.

Plan to go out early tomorrow and play three or four holes to see it I want to put a different set of irons in play for the afternoon tournament.

14. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    How did it go?

15. Fairwaysplitter3320

Admin Post
    How did it go?

16. limpalong

Went out by myself in the morning and played around with them on the back nine before anyone else was that far along. Mixed results, but decided to put them in the bag for the afternoon tournament. Probably a mistake!

One problem was the grips. Standard size grips and I am used to midsize. Huge difference in club control. And, just different feel which I would need to have a few rounds getting used to if I were to keep them. When hit well... felt really good. Got along much better with the short irons than I would have imagined. The long irons and I didn't see eye-to-eye. Was hitting driver extremely well and the putter was working. The shots I left on the course were approach shots.

Had to work today. Yep. I know. Retire, play golf 7 days/week, then go back to work to rest!! Need to go back in for a couple hours tomorrow. Then will run by the shop and see how bad the owner wants me to have them. Will need to immediately change grips if I do end up with them. Still, the graphite shafts sure left my hands and wrists feeling better after the round, even though I mishit a few of them

17. limpalong

Went out by myself in the morning and played around with them on the back nine before anyone else was that far along. Mixed results, but decided to put them in the bag for the afternoon tournament. Probably a mistake!

One problem was the grips. Standard size grips and I am used to midsize. Huge difference in club control. And, just different feel which I would need to have a few rounds getting used to if I were to keep them. When hit well... felt really good. Got along much better with the short irons than I would have imagined. The long irons and I didn't see eye-to-eye. Was hitting driver extremely well and the putter was working. The shots I left on the course were approach shots.

Had to work today. Yep. I know. Retire, play golf 7 days/week, then go back to work to rest!! Need to go back in for a couple hours tomorrow. Then will run by the shop and see how bad the owner wants me to have them. Will need to immediately change grips if I do end up with them. Still, the graphite shafts sure left my hands and wrists f

18. PaPaD

Switching to graphite is immediately easier on the joints, but transitioning to the lighter overall weight of the club takes some time. There's typically a 30 to 40 gram difference in total weight of each iron in steel vs graphite. It's a dual edged sword. I love the weight of steel and my ball striking is much better due to the heft, but it beats up my joints when my swing is off a bit. Been playing with steel as of late and loving it...................cautiously optimistic. If they made 110g graphite shafts that were priced reasonably, I'd be all over them.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  19. limpalong

Haven't you used some of the shock absorbers that go inside the steel shafts? Did they help? I remember having some Pings with the "Cushin" insert but don't remember a lot of difference. Of course, that was when my joints were much younger.

20. limpalong

Haven't you used some of the shock absorbers that go inside the steel shafts? Did they help?