• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Range time strategy

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I went to the range yesterday and was hitting the ball well at the beginning. As the session went on I started developing a block / slice which got worse as the session went on (I guess my body is still recovering from last week's efforts). Normally I start a session hitting the ball badly but by the time I leave I have figured it out and am hitting it well.

So the question is, should you quit a session if things start going downhill or keep at it? At the end yesterday my head was fried trying to figure out what was going wrong; it was so soul destroying I ended up just hitting chips to finish the balls. I should have just given them to the kid in the booth beside me and headed home.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I feel the best thing you can do is walk away. Usually, when I am not hitting the ball well it is because I am not in the right frame of mind. Pounding balls on the range does not help me with that issue.

I also like to end a range session on a good shot.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
The Good Lord only put a certain number of swings in each body. Why waste those swings hitting range balls? :D

When I used to go to the range, it never seemed "productive" if I was having trouble hitting the ball. The more I struggled, the more I tried to over-analyze, and the more frustrated I became. I would go home with all kinds of negative thoughts about the game and my swing. If I was hitting the ball fairly well, that was the time to tweak things. Trying to hit injured... trying to overcome walking halfway from Ireland to Africa... probably would have been the opportune time to just hand what was left of the bucket of balls to someone else on the range and go home.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
The Good Lord only put a certain number of swings in each body. Why waste those swings hitting range balls? :D

When I used to go to the range, it never seemed "productive" if I was having trouble hitting the ball. The more I struggled, the more I tried to over-analyze, and the more frustrated I became. I would go home with all kinds of negative thoughts about the game and my swing. If I was hitting the ball fairly well, that was the time to tweak things. Trying to hit injured... trying to overcome walking halfway from Ireland to Africa... probably would have been the opportune time to just hand what was left of the bucket of balls to someone else on the range and go home.
I agree with what Limp said but I do believe in range time. If the range session goes to sh!t I head over to chip and putt and come back to the range after I've sunk a few putts. Gets me in the right frame of mind.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I agree with what Limp said but I do believe in range time. If the range session goes to sh!t i head over to chip and putt and come back to the range after I've sunk a few putts. Gets me in the right frame of mind.
At my age, I'm seldom "in the right frame of mind". Just ask my wife.........

🔥 Latest posts