• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Raymond Floyd upset at Hall of Fame for inducting 'guys who don't belong'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
ablogs_golf_com__a_6a00d8341caaef53ef017c36e4a172970b_800wi_.jpg
Raymond Floyd, a four-time major winner and World Golf Hall of Fame member since 1989, believes that the Hall of Fame is inducting players undeserving of the honor.

“The bar has been lowered,” Floyd said in the March issue of Golf Magazine. “Guys get voted into the Hall of Fame who don’t belong, who lack the numbers. I’m very upset at the Hall of Fame for that. It’s not fair to the people who went in early.”

Floyd didn't mention names, but the 2013 Hall of Fame class includes Fred Couples, who has won only one major (the 1992 Masters), and Colin Montgomerie, who has never won a major.

Who has been elected to the Hall who doesn’t deserve it?

Just look at the inductees over the last six, eight, 10 years. Some years, I don’t even vote because the names are not worthy of induction. One major should not get you into the Hall of Fame—maybe one major and 40 wins. I’m not gonna pick a guy with one major and 11 wins.

Fred Couples has one major and 15 Tour wins, and Colin Montgomerie never won a major, and they’ll be enshrined this year. It sounds like they didn’t get your vote.

I’ll just say that you should have at least two majors. At least! Wow, there are guys in there that it’s a joke. It takes integrity away from the term “Hall of Fame.” I’m very upset at the Hall of Fame.
You can read the full interview here. The March issue of Golf Magazine is on newsstands now; it is also available free for subscribers on tablets at golf.com/allaccess.

Photograph of Raymond Floyd at Old Palm Golf Club near Palm Beach, Fla., in December 2012 (Angus Murray).

Source: Raymond Floyd upset at Hall of Fame for inducting 'guys who don't belong'

Feb 9, 2013
Country
ablogs_golf_com__a_6a00d8341caaef53ef017c36e4a172970b_800wi_.jpg

Raymond Floyd, a four-time major winner and World Golf Hall of Fame member since 1989, believes that the Hall of Fame is inducting players undeserving of the honor.

“The bar has been lowered,” Floyd said in the March issue of Golf Magazine. “Guys get voted into the Hall of Fame who don’t belong, who lack the numbers. I’m very upset at the Hall of Fame for that. It’s not fair to the people who went in early.”

Floyd didn't mention names, but the 2013 Hall of Fame class includes Fred Couples, who has won only one major (the 1992 Masters), and Colin Montgomerie, who has never won a major.

Who has been elected to the Hall who doesn’t deserve it?
Just look at the inductees over the last six, eight, 10 years. Some years, I don’t even vote because the names are not worthy of induction. One major should not get you into the Hall of Fame—maybe one major and 40 wins. I’m not gonna pick a guy with one major and 11 wins.​
Fred Couples has one major and 15 Tour wins, and Colin Montgomerie never won a major, and they’ll be enshrined this year. It sounds like they didn’t get your vote.
I’ll just say that you should have at least two majors. At least! Wow, there are guys in there that it’s a joke. It takes integrity away from the term “Hall of Fame.” I’m very upset at the Hall of Fame.​
You can read the full interview here. The March issue of Golf Magazine is on newsstands now; it is also available free for subscribers on tablets at golf.com/allaccess.

Photograph of Raymond Floyd at Old Palm Golf Club near Palm Beach, Fla., in December 2012 (Angus Murray).

Source: Raymond Floyd upset at Hall of Fame for inducting 'guys who don't belong'
I, like so many golf fans, like Freddie....but methinks Floyd has a point regarding this.
There's a difference between a fan favorite and a Hall of Famer.....i.e. as a baseball fan I have many players I enjoy watching and root for - which is not the same as saying they belong in the Hall of Fame.

BTW: as an aside, Floyd's classic book "The Elements of Scoring" is one of the very best I've encountered and recommend it to any golfer .

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I, like so many golf fans, like Freddie....but methinks Floyd has a point regarding this.
There's a difference between a fan favorite and a Hall of Famer.....i.e. as a baseball fan I have many players I enjoy watching and root for - which is not the same as saying they belong in the Hall of Fame.

BTW: as an aside, Floyd's classic book "The Elements of Scoring" is one of the very best I've encountered and recommend it to any golfer .
I tend to agree with Floyd also. I thought the interview with Floyd and the article in Feherty made this last issue of Golf Mag actually worth reading.

OP
Dogfish Head

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
I agree about favorite players. My favorite player growing up was David Justice (baseball). I don't think he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame though (maybe because he left the Braves for the Yankees :()

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Don Mattingly was my fave growing up.

And how can you blame Justice for wanting to leave the Braves. He came to play for a winner!

OP
Dogfish Head

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
David Justice at least got him a World Series ring in Atlanta before leaving.

Feb 9, 2013
Country
gonna be interesting moving forward to see how MLB deals with all these PED users coming up for induction votes....will they all get the McGuire/ Sosa treatment of will they find some pretzel logic justification -as in they were all doing it -to start voting some of these guys into the Hall.
And if they do start letting these guys in ...wont be long before we hear from Pete Rose, eh?

Feb 9, 2013
Country
There must be a lot focus on the necessity of the cleveland niblick.
What would you care? Arent you like the 20 something handicap who is interested in the new whizbang Nike Covert because it might help your game but has no interest in the all important shortgame improvement club made by Cleveland?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
What would you care? Arent you like the 20 something handicap who is interested in the new whizbang Nike Covert because it might help your game but has no interest in the all important shortgame improvement club made by Cleveland?
Chillax man, i'm just kidding with you. If you'll read around this place a bit you'll see we have a sense of humor and sometimes that includes giving each other a little bit of $hit.

I never actually got an official handicap, but if I did I think it'd be a little better than 20. I was/am thinking about getting the Covert or maybe some other driver in an effort to hit more fairways because that is more of a problem for me than getting up and down. In fact, i'm actually getting pretty darn good with the wedges I have because I don't hit as many fairways as I need to to score.

Oh yeah, I also agree that some guys just don't belong in the HOF... yet. Maybe never, no matter how popular.

🔥 Latest posts