• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Removing grips with a clothes hanger and grip solvent

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Yes it can be done. If you are broke, or VERY bored, and have more patience than good sense, you can get them off and reuse them. I just removed 3 standard grips from old shafts to replace my mid-sized ones on my woods. It only took 2 1/2 hours, and saved me a total of what, $20.00?

:confused:

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
A twenty saved is a twenty earned! Twenty bucks for 2.5 hours, is that even minimum wage? You need to call your local representative so they can mandate a raise for you. I mean, its not your fault you are using an incorrect tool.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've done it successfully once. I tried it the other day again with a like new Decade on a shaft I pulled. I spent 45minutes and finally it split. I'll not be trying it again.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
If it doesn't blow off with your compressor, it's not worth saving IMO.

Take the extra time and go work on your short game. ;)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Go to Golfworks and buy the $16 grip removal tool, sharpen the end with a belt sander so it slides under the grip easier, still use the mineral spirits, and save yourself a lot of time. 5 minutes per grip, tops.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
How exactly does one blow a grip off with a compressor????

[Readers Digest Version]

First put some sort of protection around the grip to prevent it from bursting....you can use a PVC tube, (I use a cut off plastic club sleeve you can buy at any golf shop) I know a few who simply wrap the grip with a towel.

Squirt some solvent thru the end of the grip, so it goes inside the shaft.

Then, with an air compressor with the attachment you use to inflate footballs with, inserted in the end of the grip, gently apply air pressure....massage the grip simultaneously to work the air thru...and the grip will slide off.

It takes some practice.....

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
How much air pressure does it take? Will one of those little electric compressors be enough?

🔥 Latest posts