• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Review: Mizuno MX-23 6-iron

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I bought this to see what all the Mizuno rage was about here at ST. I took this along to compare to my Ping G5 6-iron. I waited until I had my swing working a little better to do the comparison.

I could not compare distance in the indoor dome. I could only bounce off the wall but could tell which was straighter and more consistent.

Results.... The MX-23 doesn't stand up to the Ping G5. Not even close! I can hit my Ping over and over and over to the same spot on the opposite wall. The MX-23 goes right, goes left and hits high or low. Never anything similar. I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole and if their higher priced clubs (MP series) are less forgiving, YIKES!! :D

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
:miz: Hey WB...you are off your bird!
Are you looking for forgiveness of feel? I have hit the G5 and every shot comes off the same--clunky and straight, no shape., no feedback, even with the prov1s. Oh well...one man's trash is another man's treasure.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Well, I don't "shape" shots. I hit them and want them to go straight. I'll worry about the direction. If you want to shape them I suppose you might like these but if you are a hacker like me you'll hate them. :D

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
You're not comparing apples to apples with this comparison. The G5 is Ping's game improvement model where as the MX-19 (formerly MX-17) model is the equivalent in the Mizuno line. I would argue that the MX-23 is closer to the i5 than it is the G5 (although the MX23 is probably a little more friendly than the i5).

I play the MX-20s and switched to them because they weren't as forgiving as all the other game improvement irons out there. I had a set of Adams and they were too forgiving. All the shots felt the same but they didn't always have the same result. When you miss a MX20/23 you see and feel a different shot. Even better is that they not only tell you that you missed but where you missed as well, instantly. My basll striking has improved a great deal since switching to these clubs.

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
Well, I don't "shape" shots. I hit them and want them to go straight. I'll worry about the direction. If you want to shape them I suppose you might like these but if you are a hacker like me you'll hate them. :D

You're not comparing apples to apples with this comparison. The G5 is Ping's game improvement model where as the MX-19 (formerly MX-17) model is the equivalent in the Mizuno line. I would argue that the MX-23 is closer to the i5 than it is the G5 (although the MX23 is probably a little more friendly than the i5).

I play the MX-20s and switched to them because they weren't as forgiving as all the other game improvement irons out there. I had a set of Adams and they were too forgiving. All the shots felt the same but they didn't always have the same result. When you miss a MX20/23 you see and feel a different shot. Even better is that they not only tell you that you missed but where you missed as well, instantly. My basll striking has improved a great deal since switching to these clubs.

You are right on the money CB2. Apples and oranges. I switched to the MX23 from the old Ping Zings. As I have improved my ball stricking from hacker to decent player status, I have learned to appreciate the forged feel from the 23's, and I keenly know the difference between game improvement and game enhancing. The 23's are not true "blades" though, and have the cavity type back for some forgiveness. I am still not good enough to go to the blades, but I agree with CB2--you can pinpoint where you hit the ball on the clubface which helps you adjust on the course and play better.
Oh, WB, it's all good!

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006

I am almost tempted to send you my MP-33 6 Iron so you can hit that around and tell me what you think of that (i have 3 demo 6 irons as spares).

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Funny you mention the MP33. I went to demo PWs today. The 33 wasn't in the test group but the MX23, MP32, 60, and 67 were all in there. I ended up taking home the 67.

I'm in the middle of taking lessons so I can improve enough to buy a set of MP60s (minus the PW of course :) )

Okay, we now return you to your normally scheduled thread...

Links R Best

Hoylake,UK
Dec 5, 2006
I have agree with Chemboy2,I don't think your actually comparing like with like,although you could say I'm little bit biased as I'm another great believer in the MX 23s,they're tremendous forged clubs that give you just enough feedback,obviously not as much as blades,but enough to know when its not right out the middle.
Before my MX 23s I was a Callaway man and certainly no fan of the Pings ( they just don't meet the eye well for me ) but now I think to change my Mizunos ,it'd have to be to something a bit special.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I think the lesson learned here is that you shouldn't say anything negative about Mizuno, ever. :miz: ;)

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Well I have to get back at all the Mizuno guys attacking my Pings all the time. :D

OMG, those are fugly sticks. My brother in law played those and it look like a UFO had crash landed in the fairway.

demon

Yes they are extremely ugly and also are very nice clubs in regard to playability. Corey Pavin won the US Open with them. I played those for ten years before I got my new Pings this summer.

Members online

No members online now.