• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

RIP Nike Golf

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
See ya, always thought their gear was ugly, not as hideous as Nickents but close. With Tiger being pretty much dead and buried it makes sense for Nike to bail.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
See ya, always thought their gear was ugly, not as hideous as Nickents but close. With Tiger being pretty much dead and buried it makes sense for Nike to bail.

Was sorta thinking along the same line, seems a little too coincidental really... Tiger falling off the map, Nike Bails. Hmmm

But more importantly, now what?? Logically I think Rory would return to Titleist and Oakley?? But what about everyone else?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

Equipment has always been top notch. I agree it's ugly ( I play a SQ Dymo2 the most horrible driver ever), but performance is indisputable.

It's sad, since big brands leaving the business means less money on the game, less R&D and less need for innovation from their brands

At least then Nike equipment might have a price fall hehehe

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
This is a huge holy-fvck moment.

I originally went to Nike when I won a competition that outfitted me in clubs and balls.

I stayed with Nike for a long while because my clubs were quality and I enjoyed annoying Titleist and TM snobs.

I changed irons to Srixon last year which I'm ecstatic about.

These days I like JDM product. The best forgings.

PS. My tip - Rory to PXG. Swartzel must've known something. Probably didn't get his contract renewed.

Nike Will Stop Making Golf Equipment as Tiger Woods’s Star Fades

Last edited:

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I read that they still plan to staff tour players in apparel. Makes me wonder what clubs all those players will switch to and what logo will appear on the hat - I can see contract conflicts with hat vs clubs sponsorship. Bob Parsons will make a run at some of them, no doubt. Their existing inventory is already deeply discounted - drivers $149, FW $99, and so on. I was never a fan of their irons but I was HUGE fan of the CPR rescue woods (hybrids). Those scalloped-crown clubs were almost like cheating. Point and shoot! I rocked a Vrs driver for a few rounds. Liked the color sound and feel, but got bored sooner than usual.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
They made some good stuff over the years. Slingshot irons, CPR Hybrids etc...

Cannot say I am surprised.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
With their apparel/shoes direction, there will have to be some policy changes with respect to other sponsor's logos appearing on Nike clothing.

Previously it was a no go area because the players were on "all-Nike" deals.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I love my VRS driver, may try and find a few more. Not surprised they are getting out but I agree with the other above, going to be a fun "off season" full of equipment changes.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I was shocked to just read this about Tony Finau. Seems Tony is as well.

"Playing this week at the Travelers Championship, Finau was one of several Nike players who got the news late Wednesday afternoon.

I just heard in the last hour so it’s still a little bit of a shock, to say the least,” said Finau, who signed with Nike in January. “I love the equipment I’m playing now, and it’s a real process to get through to make a change like that. I don’t know exactly what it’s going to mean for contracts, but it’s pretty likely that this time next year I won’t be playing Nike clubs.”

But Finau said he understands the way the industry works. “I totally understand it from their perspective,” he said. “They’re killing it in apparel. They’re killing it in footwear. It’s just business.”

In the meantime, Finau isn’t planning on making any equipment changes for the immediate future, and likely nothing until the start of the 2016-17 PGA Tour season or even later. He’s got the FedEx Cup race and he even still plans to make a late run at earning a spot on the U.S. Ryder Cup team, starting this week.

“I just have to put all this in my rearview mirror,” he said. “I can’t worry too much about it. Just go play. I’ll definitely be playing Nike this week.”

Nike Exiting Golf Club Business, to Focus on Footwear, Apparel - Golf Digest

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The problem I have is that I don't really love their stuff. It's all kind of "meh" to me. Too bad, 'cause it's going to be going cheap.
At the very least, have a look at balls, gloves and the OEM shafts in the clubs.

🔥 Latest posts