• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rule of 12

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Sort of makes sense, 'cept if you are a one club guy, hitting that for every shot. Sometimes it depends on confidence and practice. My worry is always about spin. I normally chip with my GW and if I want a runner I toe it in and take off the loft. It gets the same effect as dropping down to a 9 iron, 7 iron etc.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Interesting concept. I would hate to have to watch someone pace off every chip shot, though. Also, my landing zone changes depending on lots of factors so I don't think I would implement it, personally.

Sort of makes sense, 'cept if you are a one club guy, hitting that for every shot. Sometimes it depends on confidence and practice. My worry is always about spin. I normally chip with my GW and if I want a runner I toe it in and take off the loft. It gets the same effect as dropping down to a 9 iron, 7 iron etc.
So why not just drop to a 9 or 7i?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Interesting concept. I would hate to have to watch someone pace off every chip shot, though. Also, my landing zone changes depending on lots of factors so I don't think I would implement it, personally.

So why not just drop to a 9 or 7i?

Probably a confidence thing. You get so used to using just the one club.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Anybody ever hear of the rule of 12?

I didn't know the rule, but that is my technique. My 7i is my fav, but I use the 6 or even 5 if I need a lot of roll. I judge the club I use by just eyeballing the distance and slope. I ONLY use a wedge or 9i if I have to lob it over something. I roll the ball whenever I can.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I didn't know the rule, but that is my technique. My 7i is my fav, but I use the 6 or even 5 if I need a lot of roll. I judge the club I use by just eyeballing the distance and slope. I ONLY use a wedge or 9i if I have to lob it over something. I roll the ball whenever I can.
Not being able to physically hit the ball in the air doesn't equate to knowing how to chip and run. :rolleyes:

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Not being able to physically hit the ball in the air doesn't equate to knowing how to chip and run. :rolleyes:
shocked-spit-out-drink-o.gif

BogeySwine

Feb 16, 2017
I read this rule of 12 sometime in July this year. I worked on it a couple of times a week. It helped me quite a bit as I usually putt pretty well. I rarely hit more than five greens in regulation. Our season ended December 4th, the temps took a dive on the 5th and the snow started about ten days later. I'm looking forward to next season to see if I can keep up the good results I had this fall.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I've been doing it by accident, but guessing the club. I almost always chip and run with 6 thru PW depending on how much carry vs roll i need. Now I know how to pick the right club!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I always use just my PW from 50 yards in. I control the distance by how far of a backswing I take. Always swing the same speed. sssmokin and I had a John Jacobs short game tape years ago and we've used that for 30 years or more. sssmokin is downright deadly on chips. Usually always leaves himself with a tap in. I'm not too bad myself. I'm hot and cold with the putter but am improving.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Seems like forever I used a gap wedge... mainly my 52 degree Cleveland... for chipping. Became quite deadly with it. Then, it began tanking. I found that the higher lofted clubs need a little more "touch". The best short game player in our group will use his 6 or 7 iron on almost all chips. I tried that and struggled. Recently, someone suggested trying to chip with a 4-hybrid. I tried that for the last few rounds played and had huge success! The 75 I carded a few days ago included two or three chips with the 4h that rolled right next to the flag. When this dastardly snow decides to melt off, I will be attempting to perfect the 4h chipping and, at this time, plan on using that method for 2018.

I also agree with Tea. If someone in our group were to take the time to walk up and pace off a chip.... they would be excommunicated in a heartbeat. When we enforce the 20 second rule looking for a lost ball, we sure ain't gonna be pleased to see someone pacing off a chip shot!!! :>)

🔥 Latest posts