• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ruling?

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Is it legal to hit a ball while on your knees? I know you can't put a towel down or anything but I had a huge debate on the course today with a fellow golfer. He was certain you can't hit from your knees. I am pretty sure I've seen tiger and Rickie fowler do it. Can anyone confirm the ruling and where I can find it in the rules?

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Is it legal to hit a ball while on your knees? I know you can't put a towel down or anything but I had a huge debate on the course today with a fellow golfer. He was certain you can't hit from your knees. I am pretty sure I've seen tiger and Rickie fowler do it. Can anyone confirm the ruling and where I can find it in the rules?
There is something obscure about it being illegal if you tie a towel around your knee vs putting it on the ground and kneeling or vice versa. I recall it being discussed in one of the threads here. One was viewed an assistance and one was not. Sorry I cant recall better than that.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I think Snedeker hit a shot from his knees in the Masters but not sure in the definite rule.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I think it was Sergio that got popped. You can wear a pad but cant use a separate item as a mechanical help or something like that.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Craig Stadler was DQ'd from a PGA tourney some years ago for the "towel incident". It was a wet, muddy day. Stadler's ball was under a tree and he needed to kneel to get to it... or take an unplayable lie. He grabbed the towel off his bag and put it on the ground so his pants wouldn't get muddy. Hit the ball from under the tree and finished the round. A television viewer called it in as a Rules infraction due to "imporving his lie" with the towel.
You can swing at the ball kneeling, sitting, standing on your head, or whatever bodily contortion you desire. Just do not put a towel or any object down to sit/stand/kneel on.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.