• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ryder Cup is Great

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I certainly don't want to start any crap with this comment and it's nothing against any of you US guys as everyone I've met on here are fantastic people (bar one, but I won't go into that).

Possible this win is a bit of Karma for your absolutely disgraceful fans? And I know that also the silent, polite majority can't be blamed here either because what can they do? But the vocal minority that turned this into a football match and were applauding and cheering and jeering the Europeans bad shots should take a long hard look at themselves. The cheer that went up when Colsaerts put his ball on the water on 17 on Saturday morning was abhorrent. The poor bloke looked like he was about to cry, it meant that much to him and then he has to cop that crap from some liquored up idiots.

Major kudos to the caddies of the American guys who were reportedly telling these idiots over the whole weekend that there is no need for that and to pull their heads in. Major Kudos.

Just because its now a team game doesn't mean all polite and noble behaviour has to be thrown away.

It was a real shame as I had Peter Alliss commentating my feed who I really like but had to turn the sound off because of a few feral fans.

Rant over.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I love Peter Aliss' voice.

Our fans were no worse than the Euro fans when the last Ryder cup was held. There are always idiots in the crowd.

Furyk is a major winner, still hasn't been able to putt this year.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I love Peter Aliss' voice.

Our fans were no worse than the Euro fans when the last Ryder cup was held. There are always idiots in the crowd.

Furyk is a major winner, still hasn't been able to putt this year.
Agreed. There were quite a few euro idiots yelling and jeering last time...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
But the vocal minority that turned this into a football match and were applauding and cheering and jeering the Europeans bad shots should take a long hard look at themselves.

It's hard to take a look at yourself when you are pissed. Alcohol is the problem, should ban or limit it's sale on the course during these events. Also stronger marshaling.

I also think that it was the intention to make the crowd raucous, to gain home advantage (remember the war on the shore). Bubba whooping up the crowd to hit his opening tee shot? I think the organizing committees on both sides of the pond need to think about where this is going. Golf spectating is not the same as going to a football game.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
It's hard to take a look at yourself when you are pissed. Alcohol is the problem, should ban or limit it's sale on the course during these events. Also stronger marshaling.

I also think that it was the intention to make the crowd raucous, to gain home advantage (remember the war on the shore). Bubba whooping up the crowd to hit his opening tee shot? I think the organizing committees on both sides of the pond need to think about where this is going. Golf spectating is not the same as going to a football game.
I don't see a problem with fans cheering and jeering on either side of the pond. Its a really cool part of this event.

I would much rather dealing with a few over zealous fans than marshal it to the point of every other mine numbingly boring event.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I don't see a problem with fans cheering and jeering on either side of the pond. Its a really cool part of this event.

I would much rather dealing with a few over zealous fans than marshal it to the point of every other mine numbingly boring event.
Honestly, Bubba and Ian's tee shots w/ the crowd goin and Phil's play were the only things that even made this not mind numbingly boring. I am able to watch golf less and less lately.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Honestly, Bubba and Ian's tee shots w/ the crowd goin and Phil's play were the only things that even made this not mind numbingly boring. I am able to watch golf less and less lately.

Are you kidding me? That was probably the most exciting golf I have watched in the last 5 years!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I have been losing the love lately and viewing of golf is the first thing to go. There's only a couple things that catch my attention now and they are probably the things that annoy a lot of people.... for instance, I love the 16'th in Phoenix.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Everything I have read from golf writers that were there onsite, all of them say this was the worst behaved crowd they've ever been around. Constant yelling and taunting. Many say Sergio got the worst of it every day.

From the limited sounds that actually make it to TV, it was bad. Very bad. Yelling get in the water at the top of your lungs? Stay classy. And that was the lightest/loudest stuff.

You know the old saying, what separates a Cheesehead from a Sh*thead? The Wisconsin/Illinois border.

I do agree about Karma. I was half-rooting against the US on Sunday due to the terrible behavior of the so-called "fans" there. I was thinking it'd be a hell of a thing if they came back from 4-down, in the US, with some imported, non-golf, babboons screeching the entire time. And they did.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Are you kidding me? That was probably the most exciting golf I have watched in the last 5 years!

See you found it exciting, I only watched the last 3-4 holes of Sunday when the Euros were making their comeback. I with NUT, golf is getting harder and harder to watch. I'm sorry, I know there are a ton of good young players but I don't put them in the "special" category that MAKES me sit and watch. Rory has a beautiful swing, but he doesnt do anything we haven't seen before. Same with all the other guys. Bubba is different but I find his constant twitching and fidgeting annoying, not endearing.

The Ryder cup is ok, but its not the be all end all for me. I will still take Sunday at the Masters over the Ryder/Presidents cup. Hell, I'd take Sunday at the Bridgestone over the Ryder cup. I don't hate the Euros, I don't think its war out there. I don't think if we win or lose it changes anything other than the win/loss column. The only player to ever be judged by his Ryder Cup record solely is Monty and that's only because everybody felt bad about him never winning a major but playing so well in the Ryder Cup.

Also, for every writer I have seen say it was bad at the cup, I have heard one say it wasn't as bad as its made out to be. Stop serving alcohol, and throw out idiots without a warning. Your warning is buyng the ticket. Act up, you're out, no questions. thats the solutuion. Until then, it is what it is.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I love the Ryder Cup, and I love mostly every Match competition. I think the fact the game style changes from the usual four-day 18 hole play makes them exciting since every whole is a whole new challenge.

I don't watch sports for "special people", I watch them for competition. Having a guy go 19 under in the final day of the Masters with the closest competitor on +2 just make sit boring. Having a team killing the other one in a SB is not fun at all. Competition? That makes sports great. It makes you stand up near the screen crossing your fingers for that last birdie to tie the lead and watch a playoff hole for example.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online