• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sand Play

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm a horrible sand player. One of the members of our golf club is an excellent sand player. I finally caught him and asked him how he makes it look so easy and he told me something that totally goes against everything. He said the "bounce" (10°, 12° etc) is what causes you to chunk the shot. He uses a 60° with normal (less then 5° bounce). So he found a club in the clubhouse and told me to go and try it. I went over to the green on the par 5 (no one was coming up) and hit a few in the sand. It works. I got in two traps yesterday and popped it out on the green (one longer shot one short shot) like I was a pro. I didn't have my 60° used wedge I ordered yet from Global so used my 8-iron. If you've had as many failures in the traps as I have it might be worth a try.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
It wasn't my theory but it works for me. I think the reason is many players don't contact the sand correctly behind the ball (too deep or too far back) and the bounce "happens" too soon causing a chunked shot. I understand the reason for the bounce on a sand wedge after 50 years but never considered it actually causing a problem.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
The type of sand has an impact as well. Fluffy, resort style sand usually does better with more bounce. Firmer muny sand usually does better with less bounce.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
What really helped me the most with green-side bunkers is a shallow swing. If you open the face (even with an 8 iron), drop your hands closer to the ground and flatten out your swing the club will ski through the sand without digging.

This is what I do. I don't claim to be a pro sand player, but I don't recall very many times at all I've failed to get out of the trap. Might not be close...but I'm out of the sand.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
What really helped me the most with green-side bunkers is a shallow swing. If you open the face (even with an 8 iron), drop your hands closer to the ground and flatten out your swing the club will ski through the sand without digging.

This^^^

if you do it right, you can flip one out of the trap with many clubs - all with different bounces. I use my gap wedge and even PW a bit, especially if I want more roll out after landing.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada

I know I have a very different swing from the sand and for the most part, I think this is exactly what I do. Another thing that has always stuck with. I was told to imagine a $5 bill under my ball and to take that bill and sand out with the ball. Usually if my divot is about the size of a bill, I've made a decent bunker shot and at the very least get myself out of the bunker

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.