• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sand wedge help

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm going to replace my Vokey SM 56º wedge since I've beat it to death over the years. I'm looking for something different. What say you? What bounce do you recommend?

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Do you use it out of the fairway? Do you play fluffy grass or really tight lies?

If you insist on checking out the grass on the other side of the fence the Cally Mack Daddy 2 are great when I've demoed them. R35 about burned a line in the green last year by ripping the ball back so fast with his Mack Daddy wedge.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It really depends on your playing conditions for what wedges you should buy. Bounce and leading edge can have a dramatic effect on your shots. I really struggle on tight lies like we saw in Utah, but I normally play in thick, lush grass, so I need more bounce.

That said, as has already been mentioned, why not just grab another Vokey? Don't fix what ain't broke.

R35

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
It really depends on your playing conditions for what wedges you should buy. Bounce and leading edge can have a dramatic effect on your shots. I really struggle on tight lies like we saw in Utah, but I normally play in thick, lush grass, so I need more bounce.

That said, as has already been mentioned, why not just grab another Vokey? Don't fix what ain't broke.

R35

This is only true unless you have a PING Eye 2 Sand Wedge - it's magic poon adapts to all lies and course conditions. It's true...........I swear.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Wedges are as personal as putters. What works for one, isn't necessarily what will work for someone else. I have never had a Vokey I could make work. Yet, they are one of the most popular out there. I can't find anything that works to replace my Eye 2+ wedges.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I just ordered some Mack Daddy's with lots of bounce. Never liked the feel of Vokeys. Cally Preowned is having a decent sale.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Like what has already been mentioned, course conditions and you swing style has a ton to do with what your ideal wedge will be.

As a Ping player, see if you can find a set of G5 or i5 wedges to go with your current set. After playing a set of Eye 2+ clubs for a while I fell in love with the Eye 2+ PW. When I ordered up my i10's, I went 5-PW, UW, SW and LW and had WRX put a custom TS grind on PW-LW. Best wedges I have hit and the custom grind made them more versatile and fit my shallow swing path to a tea.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
My SM is 10º bounce. I don't use the 56º for anything but sand shots. I'm thinking about going to 12º bounce. I had my sand shots working great last year. This year I suck again.

Anders_H

mmmm, beer
Mar 12, 2015
Gavle
Country
Sweden Sweden
These wedges are great, I have them in chrome finish. 48,52,56 and 60 degrees
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1429967058.616988.jpg

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
My SM is 10º bounce. I don't use the 56º for anything but sand shots. I'm thinking about going to 12º bounce. I had my sand shots working great last year. This year I suck again.
What is the sand like where you normally play! Soft and fluffy beach sand or on the firmer end just short of hardpacked?

If it is just a sand club, more bounce may be preferable as long as the sand where you play is not too firm.

🔥 Latest posts