• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sandbagging ...well kinda

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
ok i play in a 9 hole business league on thursdays. well for weeks i was getting around 6 points on 9 holes. well last week i had the 9 holes of my life and got 14 points. well if you are plus points on the round you go up half of what you were plus for me i was plus 8 so i go up 4 points this week to 10 that i have to get. we olny have 2 weeks left and we are ion first place with no way of losing. but at the end of the league we play 18 hole with the top 8 teams and they double the points you have to get. is it bad if i go minus points for the next to weeks to bring me back down to where i have a real chance. b/c i know there is no way im gonna pull 20 plus points on 18 holes at this course.

Is it bad if i TRY to drop points off this week and next?

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
how do you go back down?? if you pull your normal 6 for two weeks will you get some relief?? i guess if you go back the other way based on what you have done for the whole season then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I know playing pool leagues if you are on the edge of moving up and have a really good week that bumps you...it takes forever to slide back to what you should be which really hurts when you get to the playoffs at the end.

Jason

OP
clemsonhacker

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
you can only go back 1 point a week no matter how much you are minus... so i could get it back to 8 by the end.

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
Is winning worth cheating? I am not saying that is what you are doing but, I have played in leagues where guys that you know are 10-15 hcps are playing at 20 just so they can win a stupid prize. I play to my true cap, and have been beat by handicaps enough that I dont play with those people and can't really respect them. I would rather lose to someone trying to play my best, then win, when you know you aren't doing the right thing. But it is ultimately up to you.

ETA if you plain just have a bad round that is a different story. And that could happen to and I see no problem with that.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I don't think it's cheating.. If the format is set up to be strategic to play the numbers like that, then I don't see the problem personally. Sure it's not really how it's suppose to be, but a quirky format like that lends it's self to be that way.

OP
clemsonhacker

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
yea for real FAT. everyone else is doing the same thing. yea im one of those that hates when people sandbag but its not far to our team if all the other teams are doing this. i like to go out and play my best every time i play but like ping said if i just have a bad round then its ok.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I don't know why your "handicap" would change so drastically because of one great round. That's a ridiculous system. Your mistake was agreeing to such ridiculous terms to begin with

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
...is it bad if i go minus points for the next to weeks to bring me back down to where i have a real chance...Is it bad if i TRY to drop points off this week and next?

There's not really a "kinda" to it - that's pretty much the definition of sandbagging.

OP
clemsonhacker

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
i know brandon.... your right. ive never done this before and have since decided that was not the right thing to do plus we got rained out...

SUX thats how it is...you start with having to get so many points based on your game. if you get your points you stay the same. if you go over your points you go up 1 point for every 2 points your over. like me last week i had 14 points only needed 6 so i was at plus 8. so that made me have to get 10 this week. but no matter how much your under your points you can only go down 1....

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Sounds like a friggin' mess to add it all up, and figure out how it works.

I'd say for the sake of it all.. Just play your normal game. If it happens, it happens.. If it works against you, then to hell with it.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Sounds like a friggin' mess to add it all up, and figure out how it works.

I'd say for the sake of it all.. Just play your normal game. If it happens, it happens.. If it works against you, then to hell with it.

I agree. I play in a seniors league that uses a similar scoring system. Between rotating among 5 different courses and my erratic game, my league points cap goes up and down like a yo-yo. Sometimes it works in my favor...and, sometimes it doesn't.

🔥 Latest posts