• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scramble strategery

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
I'm playing in a scramble tomorrow. All the team members have established handicaps so the pro is assigning strokes per team that will subtract from (or add on to) the total score. We have no strategery. Results tomorrow.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I hate scrambles! Don't know how many times I've sworn to NEVER play in another scramble. Was coerced for a number of years to play in our firm's annual tournament. Every time, we who played golf would get put with 3 who played once/year... or had never played before. Long rounds. Lots of pressure. Did I say I hate scrambles.

When they are a charity event, I'd as soon toss $100 at it and stay home than play. When they are an excuse to get away from a desk to drink beer and ride in a cart and swing as hard as you can in your wing-tips, knowing you'll never even make contact... Did I say I hate scrambles.

Used to let the others hit... or try to... then be under pressure to hit every shot well. The last couple I played in, I hit first. Hitting first, I can guess it'll be the best of the bunch but am not under the pressure of knowing that. I can play my game and take what the Golf Gods hand us. The others will still get a chance to hit. The others may get lucky with a putt or two. The others can drink their beer and enjoy a day in the sun.

Did I say I hate scrambles.....

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I hate scrambles! Don't know how many times I've sworn to NEVER play in another scramble. Was coerced for a number of years to play in our firm's annual tournament. Every time, we who played golf would get put with 3 who played once/year... or had never played before. Long rounds. Lots of pressure. Did I say I hate scrambles.

When they are a charity event, I'd as soon toss $100 at it and stay home than play. When they are an excuse to get away from a desk to drink beer and ride in a cart and swing as hard as you can in your wing-tips, knowing you'll never even make contact... Did I say I hate scrambles.

Used to let the others hit... or try to... then be under pressure to hit every shot well. The last couple I played in, I hit first. Hitting first, I can guess it'll be the best of the bunch but am not under the pressure of knowing that. I can play my game and take what the Golf Gods hand us. The others will still get a chance to hit. The others may get lucky with a putt or two. The others can drink their beer and enjoy a day in the sun.

Did I say I hate scrambles.....
They are a bit more fun when the team is comprised of 4 golfers instead of one golfer and three beer guzzlers.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I'm playing in a scramble tomorrow. All the team members have established handicaps so the pro is assigning strokes per team that will subtract from (or add on to) the total score. We have no strategery. Results tomorrow.
We carded a 61. Had to use 2 drives from every player. No mulligans, string or other BS, just a scramble. Winning score was 59, there was a 60 and another 61. We lost 3rd place on a tie-breaker. They paid cash for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, so we enjoyed the free lunch and each other's company. There were the usual discussions about those 20 foot putts that we all lipped out........coulda, shoulda, woulda. ;)

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I really do like a scramble tournament, have lost a few really close ones. One in a heartbreaking playoff. Have only ever won a couple, which makes those the special ones!!

I do agree they are much better when the team is comprised of four golfers, but I've also met some serious beer guzzlers with game!! I have also been on the other side of a scramble too; where I was the only real golfer in the group, which is harder on the golfer for sure, but with a good mindset they are fun too.

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Playing in another one of these tomorrow. Playing a course called Ocotillo but it has so much water on it we call it Aquatillo.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Playing in another one of these tomorrow. Playing a course called Ocotillo but it has so much water on it we call it Aquatillo.

An abundance of water on a desert course. Who'da thunk it?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.