• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scrambles, hookers and other stuff

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I thought I'd share an anecdote following a 4-person scramble I played in last Friday.

Let me say that normally I like scrambles. The main reason being that I use them as practise. I try shots that I normally wouldn't try, so it's good fun for me.

Now, I know that traditionally there's lots of moaning about scrambles. Shouts of "sandbaggers" are common.

The Scramble had an "anti-sandbagger" measure whereby the person who's shot is taken from the tee, doesn't hit the next shot. So only 3 hit the next shot. The procedure continues to the green, whereupon all 4 players can put.

So, I was grouped with people I didn't know. Two middle aged women, [16] and [19] handicaps. Then an elderly gent with a [15] handicap. They weren't "guns." They had home-made swings which got them around the course. But nice people and good company.

On the day, the wind howled. It was just like the worst of the Open Championship but without the rain. I'm not kidding, at times it was a 3 club wind; most times it was a two club wind.

Knowing how scrambles sometimes bring the "big d!cks" out who like to hit driver off any tee, I thought, "there's gonna be some high scores today" due to the crazy wind.

Anyhoo, our motley crew played above themselves. The two women had a nice headstart with their forward tee positions and usually put their tee shot straight down the middle.

Basically, we played out of our skin. We finished at 69 gross (par 70) and 60.625 nett. One birdie, no bogies. We only blew one birdie chance. Other than that there were no real birdie chances due to the crazy wind.

Prizes started at 10th place. I thought that we might be a good chance of picking up a prize.

Err ... no such luck. We came 15th. 10th place scored 58.25. First place scored 52.125. Yes, that's right; 52.125 in crazy weather.

When the results were announced at the presentation post-round, the people in my team mumbled sandbagger comments and threatened not to play in a scramble again. Me? I sorta shrugged my shoulders and laughed it off but at the same time can't believe some of the scores in crazy weather.

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
I thought I'd share an anecdote following a 4-person scramble I played in last Friday.

Let me say that normally I like scrambles. The main reason being that I use them as practise. I try shots that I normally wouldn't try, so it's good fun for me.

Now, I know that traditionally there's lots of moaning about scrambles. Shouts of "sandbaggers" are common.

The Scramble had an "anti-sandbagger" measure whereby the person who's shot is taken from the tee, doesn't hit the next shot. So only 3 hit the next shot. The procedure continues to the green, whereupon all 4 players can put.

So, I was grouped with people I didn't know. Two middle aged women, [16] and [19] handicaps. Then an elderly gent with a [15] handicap. They weren't "guns." They had home-made swings which got them around the course. But nice people and good company.

On the day, the wind howled. It was just like the worst of the Open Championship but without the rain. I'm not kidding, at times it was a 3 club wind; most times it was a two club wind.

Knowing how scrambles sometimes bring the "big d!cks" out who like to hit driver off any tee, I thought, "there's gonna be some high scores today" due to the crazy wind.

Anyhoo, our motley crew played above themselves. The two women had a nice headstart with their forward tee positions and usually put their tee shot straight down the middle.

Basically, we played out of our skin. We finished at 69 gross (par 70) and 60.625 nett. One birdie, no bogies. We only blew one birdie chance. Other than that there were no real birdie chances due to the crazy wind.

Prizes started at 10th place. I thought that we might be a good chance of picking up a prize.

Err ... no such luck. We came 15th. 10th place scored 58.25. First place scored 52.125. Yes, that's right; 52.125 in crazy weather.

When the results were announced at the presentation post-round, the people in my team mumbled sandbagger comments and threatened not to play in a scramble again. Me? I sorta shrugged my shoulders and laughed it off but at the same time can't believe some of the scores in crazy weather.

I too enjoy playing in scrambles but am dumbfounded at some of the "scores" that are put up. Truly amazes me that groups and birdie every single hole and maybe throw an eagle in there for good measure...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Yeah, feel a bit shortchanged here. I was hoping one of the ladies had a shady past or something. Yip, scrambles are always fun but people's interpretation of the rules in these things are always questionable.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Playing in one tomorrow to benefit Teen Lifeline: Home - Teen Lifeline

The event: 2017 Firetag Invitational

The same event I played in last year.

One of the groups is rumored to be a foursome from ASU's men's golf team. The owner of the course is donating the day to the charity. Pretty cool if you ask me. For his donation he also gets a foursome. I'm told he's a scratch player and his foursome consists of him, the teaching pro from his course, and two guys who used to play on tour.

I'm winning this fucker.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country

One of the groups is rumored to be a foursome from ASU's men's golf team. The owner of the course is donating the day to the charity. Pretty cool if you ask me. For his donation he also gets a foursome. I'm told he's a scratch player and his foursome consists of him, the teaching pro from his course, and two guys who used to play on tour.

I'm winning this fucker.
giphy.gif

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country

I'm winning this fucker.
Those groups are probably the only ones who will turn in their actual score.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I played in a scramble this year. We didn't shoot anything great so didn't expect to win anything but the teams that shot those ridiculously low scores were old duffers with beer bellys and their wives who also had beer bellys. Doubt if any of them could break 50 for 9 holes. I just kind of sit back and chuckle at the thought of them using foot wedges, mulligans etc etc. to get that low. And even then I doubt they could do it. :rolleyes:

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Par 70. At check in you could purchase a stroke improvement kit. The kit included 2 mulligans and four feet of ribbon. The mulligans are easy, we all know what they are. The ribbon was the kicker. The way it was used is you could use a length of ribbon to complete your shot. Example: You reach a par four in two and have a ten foot putt for birdie. You miss your putt by six inches. Measure from your ball to the cup with the ribbon and complete the shot for a three. You then discard the six inches of ribbon you used and are left with three feet six inches of ribbon for the rest of the round. Each of us in our group purchased a kit. There was also a hole measuring 350 yards that had an air cannon on the tee. You could purchase a shot that would reach the green. All the proceeds went to Teen Lifeline.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online