• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scrambles, hookers and other stuff

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Par 70. At check in you could purchase a stroke improvement kit. The kit included 2 mulligans and four feet of ribbon. The mulligans are easy, we all know what they are. The ribbon was the kicker. The way it was used is you could use a length of ribbon to complete your shot. Example: You reach a par four in two and have a ten foot putt for birdie. You miss your putt by six inches. Measure from your ball to the cup with the ribbon and complete the shot for a three. You then discard the six inches of ribbon you used and are left with three feet six inches of ribbon for the rest of the round. Each of us in our group purchased a kit. There was also a hole measuring 350 yards that had an air cannon on the tee. You could purchase a shot that would reach the green. All the proceeds went to Teen Lifeline.

I've seen some insanely low scores at charity events like that where you can basically buy strokes. I guess it's all for a good cause.

With that format there's probably no point in recording scores as you go around. Given that you can "buy" strokes for charity, perhaps the participants should purchase their final score before going on course and then just go play golf without worrying about recording anything. The money still goes to charity but players who hit a good round don't have to get their hopes up.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
I'm playing in a 4 man scramble tomorrow and the kicker is it's a "big cups" tourney. 8" holes. I've played in events like this in the past. We have 3 pretty good players and a 4th that is going to chug beer and have fun. I expect we'll play well but be waaaaaaaay out of the money. Should be a blast!!!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I've seen some insanely low scores at charity events like that where you can basically buy strokes. I guess it's all for a good cause.
I played in a big money scramble once. First place was $2500. We had to play in 8-somes to protect the integrity of the field. Our team didn't finish in the money, but the scores were accurate.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Not even in the money? Damn, how many places did they pay? What score won?

They did flights, not sure how flights work. "A" flight was a 3 way tie at 63. Championship flight was won with a 52. Yes, 20 under par. I call shenanigans. We had a chance for birdie on 17 out of 18 holes. Not sure how how you go 20 under...

Last edited:

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
They did flights, not sure how flights. "A" flight was a 3 way tie at 63. Championship flight was won with a 52. Yes, 20 under par. I call shenanigans. We had a chance for birdie on 17 out of 18 holes. Not sure how how you go 20 under...

with a pencil...................

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
We shot a 56......lost by 10.....
rofl.gif

Members online