• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Second tier balls - need your thoughts

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I've played the ProV1, and of course the Nike Platinum and the Callaway Tour Balls all fall into the "top tier" category... Put the Bridgestone and the ZUrs in there as well I suppose.

But I keep going back to the "second tier" for my purchases, mostly due to the performance being very good, and the price always outstanding. I get more for my money at $15-$20 a dozen for Maxfli Tour Fire than I do at $40+ for the ProV1's.

So, I'm at Golfsmith a few days ago hitting some balls on the launch monitor, and I take some stupid survey as I'm walking out the door. 5 minutes of my time is rewarded with a $15 gift card.

What I want to know is your thoughts on the various second tier balls out there, and which brand should I take a chance on a pick up a dozen?

I want something that spins close to what the top tier balls can muster... but for a lot less money.

I mentioned the Maxfli Tour Fire, love those, but have 2 dozen now, and want to try something else. But they are the type of ball I'm looking for.

Top Flite - is it the Gamer? Or something "feel"
Titleist NXT Tour?
Srixon? Know nothing about them..... need help
The Wison Staff 50 50 scares me a bit.....

What say you!!!

OP
usa1950

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I should say that I am not looking for a ball that costs $15 or less.... I'll thrown in a little cash of my own if needed.......

Also, I remember a Golf Magazine Article earlier this year, which profiled dozens of balls, and mentioned a website which has tons of specs, a survey you can take which allows you to input the characteristics you are looking for (spin, cover, distance, feel, compression, etc) and out pops a few recommendations.

Anyone know of such a website?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Forget the Gamer - it was very disappointing.

If you can snag the Top-Flite Feel or Distance (I didn't see much difference, and they are both discontinued, and discounted,) then grab some of those. I think the Distance is an amazing ball for the money. No, it doesn't spin like a ProV1, but on a decent green I can get it to stop within a club length when hitting a 7-iron.

OP
usa1950

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
The "feel"... is that the D2 Feel?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I always think of changing. I played the TF Gamer last time I played. It seemed great, spun good for a cheaper ball. I just get a question in my head if I switch from the ProV1x. If I play the ProV, I'm not thinking about the ball, because it is always going to do the same thing. Since I buy seconds for 7.50 a dozen, I do not see a need to switch.

Anyway, the Gamer spun as good as the ProV1x. It seemed a little twitchy off the putter (Could have been me), and it moved way more off the driver. Good for a straighter hitter who wants some greenside spin, me thinks.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I always think of changing. I played the TF Gamer last time I played. It seemed great, spun good for a cheaper ball. I just get a question in my head if I switch from the ProV1x. If I play the ProV, I'm not thinking about the ball, because it is always going to do the same thing. Since I buy seconds for 7.50 a dozen, I do not see a need to switch.

Anyway, the Gamer spun as good as the ProV1x. It seemed a little twitchy off the putter (Could have been me), and it moved way more off the driver. Good for a straighter hitter who wants some greenside spin, me thinks.
That's pretty much the feeling I got. The D2 Distance is great off the tee. Doesn't spin much on short shots around the green, but spins enough on mid and long iron shots. Much better off the putter than the Gamer. I like the ProV1, but I don't swing hard enough to make it spin.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Top Flite D2 Feel. 15 balls for 15 bucks. Best value ball on the planet, and its performance is amazing for a 2 piece ball. Its spin comes up just a bit short pf premium balls, but its as close as you going to get with 2-piece.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I like the Maxfli Tour Fires, and really don't consider them a second tier ball. Just like any other Maxfli that you can get dirt cheap after it has been out for about 6 months. Probably the reason I have always been a fan of Maxfli golf balls, assuming you don't have a problem with changing golfballs ever 2 years or so.

OP
usa1950

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Agreed on the Maxfli situation Pa J....

My favorite ball of all time might be the Maxfli Revolution... the first model, which was a three piece, and had a urethane cover. The Rev solids came next and spun less. Tour Fires are indeed a great ball, and not really second tier to me either.

The Bridgestone's look interesting. I might have to perform my in store test... which is to bite the damn ball and feel how soft the cover is. My wife hates it, but she hates a lot of things I do!! :emot-ange

I'd really like to hear about the Titleist NXT Tour. If anyone has played them recently, how do they rank with regards to short iron spin as compared to some of the other balls we've mentioned?

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Why not go for the HX Hot or HX Hot Bite? I've always liked those balls.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Agreed on the Maxfli situation Pa J....

My favorite ball of all time might be the Maxfli Revolution... the first model, which was a three piece, and had a urethane cover. The Rev solids came next and spun less. Tour Fires are indeed a great ball, and not really second tier to me either.

The Bridgestone's look interesting. I might have to perform my in store test... which is to bite the damn ball and feel how soft the cover is. My wife hates it, but she hates a lot of things I do!! :emot-ange

I'd really like to hear about the Titleist NXT Tour. If anyone has played them recently, how do they rank with regards to short iron spin as compared to some of the other balls we've mentioned?

If you like the Maxfli tours I think those got repackaged as the Burner TPs.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
On the days my game is off, more often than I care to admit here lately, I use Bridgestone e6 plus, when I just want to hack around and practice, I play Precept Laddie X's. 15 bucks for 24 balls, pffftttttt, can't beat it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.